BCN PRO MVUM Add-On

bigskypylot

Explorer
Just noticed the MVUM available for purchase. Just what I've been wanting. I asked if they'd be updated when the USFS updates and got a response in short order....

Yes. At this time, we do not know how often USFS will update the data. Every year, or more than that. We can update when they do.

Not bad for the price and convenience

20170414_145653.jpg

20170414_145621.jpg

bigskypylot

Explorer
Finally got a chance to look at the overlay, it gives info on the routes but no open/close effective dates. Sent a msg off to see if I am missing something or that isn't included in the database. Easy to download a PDF of the MVUM to get all that info and then have the route highlighted on BCNP

20170414_221711.jpg

20170414_221740.jpg

bigskypylot

Explorer
Heres the developer's reply to my question about USFS Open/Close dates:

"I don't know if we have good data for that. And even if then it would be superceded by what the local forest says. I believe they can change them as well. Do not throw away your paper copy from the forest office."

I replied and stated that it makes sense and I will just download each specific USFS District's MVUM pdf to make sure I have the info

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
Has anyone else been able to purchase? I've tried with multiple cards and it fails

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bigskypylot

Explorer
Has anyone else been able to purchase? I've tried with multiple cards and it fails

It works for me. It didn't at first. He was working on server at the very time I purchased. I found the easiest and quickest way to catch them is through their Facebook Messenger

87Warrior

GP'er
Heres the developer's reply to my question about USFS Open/Close dates:

"I don't know if we have good data for that. And even if then it would be superceded by what the local forest says. I believe they can change them as well. Do not throw away your paper copy from the forest office."

I replied and stated that it makes sense and I will just download each specific USFS District's MVUM pdf to make sure I have the info
BCN's response is interesting. In the MVUM data you can download from the FSGeodata Clearinghouse there are many more attributes attached to each trail/road than included in the above screenshot, including open and close dates. I have not yet tried to buy the BCN data to directly compare the raw data to.

Here is an example of what is included in the MVUM data if you download it directly from the FSgeodata Clearinghouse (as viewed in Google Earth). This is a random road in the Ozark National Forest:
Screenshot%202017-04-17%20at%2010.27.17%20PM%20-%20Edited.png

Since BCN does not have all of the attributes from the forest service, I wonder where they are pulling their data from and how accurate/current it really is :confused:

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
BCN's response is interesting. In the MVUM data you can download from the FSGeodata Clearinghouse there are many more attributes attached to each trail/road than included in the above screenshot, including open and close dates. I have not yet tried to buy the BCN data to directly compare the raw data to.

Here is an example of what is included in the MVUM data if you download it directly from the FSgeodata Clearinghouse (as viewed in Google Earth). This is a random road in the Ozark National Forest:
Screenshot%202017-04-17%20at%2010.27.17%20PM%20-%20Edited.png

Since BCN does not have all of the attributes from the forest service, I wonder where they are pulling their data from and how accurate/current it really is :confused:
I'm sure they just trimmed it so it wasn't overwhelming

BCNav

Attributes

The data we are based on IS the data in the FSGeodata Clearinghouse.

We have to do processing on the data and fit it into a schema that will also work with our other overlays.

We are aware there are more attributes available. Often attributes are redundant, not user-friendly, and cluttered, but I do understand there are more attributes that may be useful.

It will take additional programming and time on our part, and it could increase the size of the download.
We are hopeful that there will be enough interest in this to recapture our investment, but there is not guarantee. We lose money on a lot of add-ons because of the labor involved and the narrowness of the audience.

Having the paper copy from your local office is a good idea. Always.

87Warrior

GP'er
Good to see BCN here!

Appreciate your response. I know I will be purchasing the MVUM add on. It's great to know you guys are listening to the users.

I agree there is no substitute for a current paper MVUM. Those things are the final word for the forest service.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Good to see BCN here!

Appreciate your response. I know I will be purchasing the MVUM add on. It's great to know you guys are listening to the users.

I agree there is no substitute for a current paper MVUM. Those things are the final word for the forest service.

Agreed!

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Backcountry Navigator is by far my favorite mapping application, and I'm very pleased with the MVUM add-on. There's always room for improvements, but the fact that its developer is actively continuing to refine and expand the capability of the app means that I will continue to support it.

gunpainter

Observer
I downloaded it, it's only $16, and it's a additional tool to help me out if I need it. I with that it showed the areas where dispersed camping is permitted, but that's hit or miss anyway because some states MVUM's show where dispersed camping is permitted, and some states don't. I like having it available to me no matter what.

Branden

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles