Guns into Canada?

762X39

Explorer
Canada is a foreign country. No, "I'm going to Alaska" is not an excuse for ignoring our laws especially around weapons.
Feel free to come up and enjoy but please play by the rules.
Couldn't put it more succinctly.
Enjoy your visit but don't piss us or the CBSA off.:coffee:

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
I just made the drive from Washington State through British Columbia and Yukon Territories, to Fairbanks, then back a couple of weeks later. So, two entries into Canada, with my rifle in my Jeep.

No problems.

But - I'd printed out and filled out the Canadian form referenced above ahead of time.

I also declared my rifle to U.S. Customs before leaving the U.S. They wanted to see the rifle and serial number. That made entry back into the USA with it a few weeks later easier - and interestingly the Canadian customs officers also liked seeing that I'd registered it with U.S. customs.

Canada took my credit card for the $25 entry fee, which was good for two months I believe, so it covered me on my crossing from Alaska back into Canada.

Also, everyone, U.S. and Canadian border officers, were happy that my rifle was locked in a hard case, with the bolt removed and the ammo stored separately. Not much good for bear defense that way, but very nice and safe for transport and the customs people were happy. If they're happy, I'm happy.

I'd taken rifles into Canada before, for shooting matches, but that was quite a while ago. It's not particularly tough to do. Just use the right forms, prepare things in advance, and I'd recommend declaring the rifle at U.S. Customs before leaving the USA, it made re-entry into the USA with the rifle very smooth. In fact the same border agent inspected my rifle on the way out as had on my way in a few weeks earlier.

BTW - I only had 40 rounds of ammo, and again, that seemed to please the good people at the border. I think they get a lot of folks who try to bring arsenals of weaponry and ammunition through. It's an international border, respect that, and all goes well.

Regards, Guy

rnArmy

Adventurer
Good points. I don't remember if I've ever been asked about weapons when traveling back into the USA.

It is nice they took a credit card for the $25 entry fee. Although I wouldn't want to count on every border crossing station to accept a credit card. I'd still recommend having at least $25 in Canadian cash just-in-case before you get there. When I last crossed (2014 - two years ago?), they seemed very pleased I had the $25 Canadian cash in hand, and I even remember the person behind the counter talking with me about how some folks show up without the cash in hand.

The new electronic form RCMP GRC 5589e is dated 2014-02-04.

Having said all that, in looking at the gun registration paperwork from their website (RCMP GRC 5589e), it does now say they accept credit cards (but no personal checks). Must be something new (and good to know). When we went in 2011 or 2012 (I forget which year it was) they were very specific about having cash only (must have been the old form).

I'm still bringing a bit of cash to have on hand prior to crossing the border. I'm sure you've never been to a store where you've been told "Out credit card system is down right now". If you want to risk it... go for it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke