Guns into Canada?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Can anyone educate me about bringing guns into Canada, tips and tricks?

(I know I can't bring a pistol or assault weapon, just looking for practical advice on bringing something like a double barrel shotgun in for predator defense in remote areas.)

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would call Canadian border services before you leave and ask. I don't think you will have any issues. But call ahead of time, and ask. Many americans come here hunting with their own firearms, (legal ones in Canada of course), and have no issues. Do not try to hide an assult weapon or handgun, if they find it your FCKED! Be honest with them and you will have no problems. Also, make sure you have no other prohibitied things like brass knuckles etc.

Malamute

Observer
I believe protection from wild animals is one of the reasons Canada allows non-residents to bring firearms in. I understand that using a firearm to defend yourself from people is NOT an approved reason to own or have a gun. Its probably not good to say anything about that to the border people, even if they seem to be leading the conversation in that direction and seem to think its OK. Its bait. Same for pepper spray, OK for animals, nor OK for people in Canada.

The Model 12 Winchesters take down into very compact packages for carrying in a day pack (20" long for the receiver and butt stock, I cut the barrel to the same length). Beater examples can often be found for reasonable prices. Barrels quickly succumb to hacksaws and files (stay over 18 1/2" for canada unless it left the factory that way) and rifle sights and sling aren't too hard for hobbyists or general gunsmiths.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I believe protection from wild animals is one of the reasons Canada allows non-residents to bring firearms in. I understand that using a firearm to defend yourself from people is NOT an approved reason to own or have a gun. Its probably not good to say anything about that to the border people, even if they seem to be leading the conversation in that direction and seem to think its OK. Its bait. Same for pepper spray, OK for animals, nor OK for people in Canada.

The Model 12 Winchesters take down into very compact packages for carrying in a day pack (20" long for the receiver and butt stock, I cut the barrel to the same length). Beater examples can often be found for reasonable prices. Barrels quickly succumb to hacksaws and files (stay over 18 1/2" for canada unless it left the factory that way) and rifle sights and sling aren't too hard for hobbyists or general gunsmiths.

A lot of good it will do in your pack when you have a Predator bearing down on you lol

Malamute

Observer
A lot of good it will do in your pack when you have a Predator bearing down on you lol

In some instances it may not. In some it may. Hiking into the Liard Hot Springs, a half mile to mile or so on boardwalks, it made me pause and think real hard about it when looking at the notification signs of grizzly activity in the area. I believe one walk area was temporarily closed because of the bear at that time. I had a Randall knife. Its also not a place that I believe you could openly walk around with a gun. The people that were killed by a black bear at that exact place several years after I was there quite likely would have been saved, at least one of them, IF somebody had a gun in their pack, instead of a mile or so run back to the parking area, retrieving a gun from their vehicle, and running back to kill that bear. At least one person was killed by the bear in that time. It takes about 15 or 20 seconds to put a model 12 together, and whatever time to load some rounds. I'm pretty sure that's quicker than running back to your vehicle a mile or more away, assuming the bear allowed that. I'm pretty sure I could do it while sitting in a tree also.

http://juneauempire.com/stories/081797/bear.html#.WPJ9UNLmrmQ

Any other lol comments? :D

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
I just did this last summer (and a couple years ago). You need a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Form (RCMP 5589). If you can't find it, send me a PM and I'll try and send you one as an attachment. But if you scroll down on the link below, you'll find it:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/index-eng.htm#f5

A couple pointers:

1. They tell you you need $25 in CANADIAN CURRENCY when crossing the border to declare your weapons. That means HAVE $25 EXACT CASH IN CANADIAN CURRENCY ON YOU WHEN YOU SHOW UP AT THE BORDER!!!!! Don't think they will exchange US currency there, make change, or you're smarter than them. You want your border crossing to be as painless as possible. HAVE THE $25 CANADIAN CASH ALREADY IN HAND WHEN YOU GET THERE. Don't over think this, or think they'll take a credit card or something. They've heard it all. HAVE THE $25 IN EXACT CANADIAN IN HAND BEFORE YOU CROSS OVER. Can I make this any more simpler?

2. They may not want to see your weapons when you cross (I've had them not ask, and I've had them want to see them). Have them readily accessible when you get there so you don't have to go digging for them just in case. And have weapons unloaded of course at the border.

3. Be very polite with the border folks. Look decent at the initial crossing; not like a meth-head or a bum. It is their country - their rules. You just want to get through it. They've always been very polite to me (and I've gone up there more than once, and criss-crossed borders even more on just one trip [Alaska - Canada - Alaska - Canada - WA]). And remember if asked - you are bringing weapons in for protection from wildlife only.

4. They mean business at the border. Don't think you can hide a handgun somewhere in your vehicle. They might be bored that day and decide they're going to check every nook-and-cranny on your vehicle. They know all the hiding places - that is their job. Bad things will happen if you get caught with something you shouldn't have. We got delayed once at a remote border crossing into Canada because they were arresting someone trying to bring something across they shouldn't have.

5. Of course, have the forms fully filled out neatly BEFORE you get to the border (typed is probably better). Follow the instructions on the form to the letter(!).

6. After you leave the border crossing, put the signed and stamped form(s) in a very safe/dry place where you know where it is, and where you can access the form if you're asked to show it. We had a three-ring binder with clear document protectors that we traveled with that stored all important papers.

The guns we brought into Canada have included a short-barreled H&R Pardner 12G pump shotgun with bear slugs (google "Dixie Slugs"), a Marlin big-loop lever action guide gun in 45-70 (with bear rounds - google "Garrett Cartridges" and their Garrett's 45-70 +P Hammerhead Ammo), and a Rossi model 1892 44 Mag lever action carbine in stainless steel. Of the three, the 44 Mag would probably be the least effective on a pissed-off bear (but is the one I literally slept with along with bear spray close by). Bear spray is also your friend in Canada (and don't go cheap on the bear spray). Buy the bear spray holster if it is an option. Everyone in your party should have their own can of bear spray (and on their person).

Last edited:

Malamute

Observer
... HAVE THE $25 IN EXACT CANADIAN IN HAND BEFORE YOU CROSS OVER. Can I make this any more simpler?

... Bear spray is also your friend in Canada (and don't go cheap on the bear spray). Buy the bear spray holster if it is an option. Everyone in your party should have their own can of bear spray.

Some may not be aware of it, but most banks within a few hundred miles of the Canadian border had Canadian currency on hand, at least in the summer. The times I went up, Id buy a bit of Canadian here and there for road money over several months before my trip. Id trade back whatever I had left when getting back in the lower 48. Youll get whatever the exchange rate is, minus some small amount for them to mess with it.

Agree that everyone should have a can and a holster. A spare can may not be a bad idea either. Its not cheap, but if you think about what youd be willing to pay fir it on the spot IF a bear caused trouble (or what your health insurance deductible and co-pay is), it starts to seem cheap.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Some may not be aware of it, but most banks within a few hundred miles of the Canadian border had Canadian currency on hand, at least in the summer. The times I went up, Id buy a bit of Canadian here and there for road money over several months before my trip. Id trade back whatever I had left when getting back in the lower 48. Youll get whatever the exchange rate is, minus some small amount for them to mess with it.

Agree that everyone should have a can and a holster. A spare can may not be a bad idea either. Its not cheap, but if you think about what youd be willing to pay fir it on the spot IF a bear caused trouble (or what your health insurance deductible and co-pay is), it starts to seem cheap.

That worked the first time we went to Canada as I was living in WA at the time, but the second time we left from TX, and crossed on a Saturday. So all the banks up close to the border were closed. There was a place just on this side of the border though that would convert US to Canadian, but being the paranoid person I am, I made arrangements to convert a couple hundred dollars US before we headed out from Texas just-in-case we couldn't convert currency on a Saturday.

And I forget what we paid for a can of bear spray - $50 +/-? But as was mentioned just above, if a bear is charging you, you're not thinking about what you paid for your bear spray. Don't go cheap on bear spray.

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
This is the bear spray we carried up in Alaska and Canada:

https://www.counterassault.com/prod...ult-bear-deterrent-with-3-in-1-chest-holster/ Figure $42 for a 10.2 ounce can and holster from Amazon.

If you go to their web site, it has some good info and videos on bear spray and self-defense:

https://www.counterassault.com/

Not suggesting I'm the expert on bear spray, or that this is the best brand to get. I'm just saying this is the brand we carried (and fortunately never had to use it!) after doing a google search when looking for bear spray a few years ago.

Lots of debates out there on which is best: bear spray or a firearm. And I just looked at my can of bear spray, and it says it expired in 2015. So I guess the next time I head to Alaska/Canada I'll be getting a new can before I go. From what I've read, even though it is expired, it should still be good for a few more years. It can be my back-up can. I've read where a couple went hiking and got a ways "out there" and had to use their bear spray, and then realized they still had to hike back and didn't have any bear spray left. So have a back-up plan for that sort of situation. Everyone in your group should have a can of bear spray on them at-the-ready (not buried in a back-pack); not everyone can always carry a firearm.

Last edited:

rgallant

Adventurer
I will just add if you are in a provincial or federal park unload your firearms and leave them in the vehicle. You can not carry or discharge any form of firearm in those parks.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I will just add if you are in a provincial or federal park unload your firearms and leave them in the vehicle. You can not carry or discharge any form of firearm in those parks.

Another good reason to carry a can of bear spray per person when off the beaten path.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Ah that's a good reminder on the bear spray. Just checked and mine expired last year - time to get another one.

I think I've figured out the long guns I'm going to bring, and don't plan to try any funny business with pistols. I may have bent the law a little with some things I have carried into California but wouldn't try that with another country.

Last edited:

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
The Canadian border people go to the same school of *******ry that the Americans do. Their JOB is to enforce the entry laws, not to judge you or me or anybody else. as is the case with any small-minded officious self-important government sort, they'll do their best to make you feel like you owe them something, which you don't.

I was being given a hard time when crossing the border into Alberta, for no absolutely no reason; luckily, I happened to know a Canadian attorney who lived a few miles north. I called him and he was there in 20 minutes, promising to sue them into the ground if there was any additional foolishness.

They even waved when I passed through the kiosk...

lbarcher

Adventurer
Given the amount of firearms seized from clueless visitors every year (especially at the quieter crossings), there is a reason for the "hard time.
I never ceases to amaze me when this topic comes up on this and other forums. Apparently many
Americans feel that our laws should be the same as theirs.

Canada is a foreign country. No, "I'm going to Alaska" is not an excuse for ignoring our laws especially around weapons.
Feel free to come up and enjoy but please play by the rules.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94