Optimal solar angle

Srob

Hi, I am considering adding a 100w solar panel to the top of a bumper swingout I plan to build this spring. The rest of the swingout will contain a toolbox, trasharoo etc... I could build it to have an adjustable angle. But that seems like a week point/ massive pain in the butt. So is there an optimal angle that the solar panel should point in relation to horizontal? If pointing straight up is 0 degrees what would be the best angle to orient the panel considering that i can park or swing the carrier out any direction I want? I do the majority of my camping in Wyoming and spread out down into Utah, Idaho, up into Montana mainly April-October. Thank you for any opinion or links I should read.

Srob

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize that the angle would change so much spring/fall to summer, but when I think about where the sun is in the sky those times of year it makes a lot of sense. I think that I will make the mount adjustable.

AndrewP

Explorer
All of the tilt recommendations also assume the panel is facing directly and exactly south if you live north of the equator.

On a truck, that isn't easy, which is why they are mounted flat on the roofs of RVs. In the end, flat may be your best compromise, especially in the summer. If you plan to need it in the winter, then you should tilt it up to your latitude plus a few degrees.

For a small 100 watt panel, you might consider not mounting it, and moving it around on the ground to face the sun. Easy to build legs to angle it up a bit too. Folding panels often come with the legs built in.

Joe917

Explorer
Flat is the best option unless you want to babysit the panel.
When we park getting the truck level is top priority, view from inside is next, having to angle the vehicle to the sun is adding another issue.
BTW the Sun moves! so will you turn the vehicle two or three times a day?
I cannot tell you how many solar set ups I have seen angled away from the Sun or shaded by roof racks or other roof clutter.

Srob

Thanks for the advice. i have considered a portable suitcase but I think I would be frustrated getting it in and out of the camper every time I pack up or move. I almost always Boondock but I am packing up every day to go to a trailhead to hike, fishing spot, new campsite etc... I'm often parked in the sun mid day. So my plan is to get a bit of extra charge on my battery during that time without too much trouble. I should be able to park with my swingout faced pretty much due south, or wherever the sun is at the time. If I build a solar panel to be adjustable it won't be the kind of thing that I constantly adjust it would just be every month or so... The difference in going on a spring break trip to Utah or camping in Wyoming Midsummer. I've got a new to me north star tc800 and my main power draw is the 3 way fridge which I run on the propane setting. So I am hoping 100w should keep me from killing my 1 battery or running it down too far. I may upgrade to a second battery but I don't want to do do untiI I am happy with charging so I don't kill them every other year. I appreciate the replies. The truck camper thing is new to me. I have been camping in a short bed Tacoma and flippac for the last 5 years but were getting a bit tight in there with a family of 4 and two dogs.

DanCooper

Adventurer
I use the Solar Tracker App on my iPhone. It provides the precise angle for my current location. I only "babysit" the panel every hour or so (assuming I am in camp).

soulpatch

Observer
Northern hemisphere

Summer:
Latitude minus 15°
Spring and fall:
Latitude
Winter:
Latitude plus 15°

It is not perfect but easy to remember.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Flat is the best option unless you want to babysit the panel.
When we park getting the truck level is top priority, view from inside is next, having to angle the vehicle to the sun is adding another issue.
BTW the Sun moves! so will you turn the vehicle two or three times a day?
I cannot tell you how many solar set ups I have seen angled away from the Sun or shaded by roof racks or other roof clutter.

I'm sorry, that's a terrible answer especially given both your and the OP's latitudes. 'flat' in your latitude is still ~23deg off-axis at the peak of summer and worse the whole rest of the year. At least try to get the north edge of the panel up such that it's at least inclined close to perpendicular to the angle of the sun and facing south for the peak hours of the day. That doesn't take a lot of 'babysitting' to make the most benefit from the setup..

Joe917

Explorer
The amount gained by tilting the panel is up to 20%, usually less.
Not worth the effort on the roof of a vehicle. For a portable panel yes it is definitely worth tilting.
Our panels are flat and the only time we have had issues getting full charge is Alaska, mainly due to weather. Full time for over two years.

https://www.civicsolar.com/support/installer/articles/effect-array-tilt-angle-energy-output

I'm sorry, that's a terrible answer especially given both your and the OP's latitudes. 'flat' in your latitude is still ~23deg off-axis at the peak of summer and worse the whole rest of the year. At least try to get the north edge of the panel up such that it's at least inclined close to perpendicular to the angle of the sun and facing south for the peak hours of the day. That doesn't take a lot of 'babysitting' to make the most benefit from the setup..

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Whats your time worth? If your needed output is so close it requires you to remember to move your panel during the day, increase your panel array. Todays cost are low for more output so moving is not needed. Set it and forget it.

My needs are fairly low (mainly a fridge) and with my flat mounted 100W panel w/ 110AH of storage I dont ever think about.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I've RainXed my two flat vehicle mounted panels a few times and they do stay cleaner for much longer periods of time.
It might not be recommended but it sure does work well.

Srob

Great advice guys. Since it will be mounted on top of my swingout it should be easy to clean, adjust the angle and point south when I am parked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94