FJ60 Privacy Curtains

NMC_EXP

Explorer
There are times when a tent is not practical or just too much trouble and a lot of places where the RV trailer cannot go. So we decided to set up the FJ60 so we could sleep inside with some degree of comfort.

Platforms are popular and there are some fine examples out there but this option was rejected. Reasons being: (1) the additional weight, and (2) the loss of headroom. We are both tall and neither of us are a flexible as we used to be.

At Home Depot we picked up two Hampton Bay brand cushions for chaise lounge patio furniture. They just fit between the wheel wells. Will use self inflating pads for additional cushioning.

Removed the rear seat bottom section for more room. The resulting gap will hold Scepter water cans in transit and will be stuffed with soft gear bags for sleeping.

My copilot is real handy with a sewing machine so she made privacy curtains. These are simple and basic - no insulation, no black-out feature. For fabric she use canvas painters drop cloths. Compared to other fabric it is cheap and durable.

To hang the curtains I attached "rope ring" loops at the four corners. Then 1/16" wire rope was strung from the 'A' to 'D' pillars down both sides. These wires are tensioned with turnbuckles. The front and rear curtains are separate pieces. They are strung on bungee cords hooked to the corner rope loops. She added some snaps to connect the side to front and rear curtains.

The curtain hangers consist of a metal ring for the suspension wire and a clip to attach to the fabric.

When not in use, the side curtains bunch up compactly and will be left at the 'C' pillar. She will make fabric sleeves to enclose the bunched up curtains so they do not pick up too much trail dust.

It is not perfect but it ought to work.

I reckon now it is the "Motel 60".

007.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

Last edited:

NMC_EXP

Explorer
...great idea using the canvas drop cloths.

Thanks.

My wife does a lot of sewing. She tells me the fabric used for the canvas drop cloths is easy to work with and fairly stout. Best thing is it is cheap compared to comparable stuff from a fabric store.

We will use more of it as the need arises for gear bags & etc.

DCH109

Adventurer
First of all. That is by far the best color in a FJ60 (I have the same Blue)

Second of all, that is brilliant!

NMC_EXP

Explorer
No Frills Car Camping

Had our shakedown cruise for sleeping in the FJ60. We are happy with the result. Not having a platform makes it possible to sit up straight to change clothes and get in and out of the sleeping bag easily. We used chaise lounge cushions as a mattress. These are soft so we added 1" self inflating pads over the top. The combination worked well. I expected to be stiff and sore this morning but was not.

The redneck canvas tarp awning worked fine as did the window screen material held in place over the sliding rear windows with flexible magnets.

The copilot is ready to head out again.

001_1.jpg

We camped on BLM ground 12 miles north of Canon City CO. In the valley just off frame to the left is the lower end of Shelf Road which leads to Cripple Creek.

009.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I took a same color BJ60 on a 4 month trip to Mexico many moons ago, and instead of curtains, I used 2.5% "limo" tint on the windows (not the front doors), and then a curtain across behind the front seats. It worked very well as only if you pressed right up against it with a flashlight could you see in. You could see out though, which was nice. I'm sure your copilot prefers total privacy though.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I took a same color BJ60 on a 4 month trip to Mexico many moons ago, and instead of curtains, I used 2.5% "limo" tint on the windows (not the front doors), and then a curtain across behind the front seats. It worked very well as only if you pressed right up against it with a flashlight could you see in. You could see out though, which was nice. I'm sure your copilot prefers total privacy though.

Four months...what a trip. Were you ready to come home?

The tint would work, but you are correct re: the copilot.

I realized there is a downside to the curtains - it looks like an offroad hearse.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I still live there en mi corazon. I haven't been back in about 7 years and it's killing me slowly as I used to do 2-4 months every year down there. Work is too busy and I hate that. I guess it's a common problem for those of us between 30 and 55...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke