F250: New or Old, which would you choose?

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Happens from bumps, replaced most everything in front end it's better but not gone. I'll look into doing that. If that works from the bottom of my heart thank you!

It will work! I have fixed more than I can count. The issue is the factory puts as much caster in the truck as they can get away with. They want the trucks steering to feel as light and agile as possible. The problem starts when the truck naturally loosens up. Once this happens if you hit a bump just right with one tire, the steering is trying too hard to center its self and basically both front tires are fighting themselves for center. Techs don't fix it because when they check the alignment it will show well within spec.

Sounds great thank you! Oh and that's exactly what happens.
It will work! I have fixed more than I can count. The issue is the factory puts as much caster in the truck as they can get away with. They want the trucks steering to feel as light and agile as possible. The problem starts when the truck naturally loosens up. Once this happens if you hit a bump just right with one tire, the steering is trying too hard to center its self and basically both front tires are fighting themselves for center. Techs don't fix it because when they check the alignment it will show well within spec.

::Squish::

Observer
We went old, 2000 F350 with the 7.3

Sure a newer truck would be nice but we got our whole rig for half of what some late model used trucks go for.
That's a lot more money for adventures, updates and repair.

And life is a lot nicer when you don't worry about ever scratch and nick. And the truck can just be that. A truck.

BackcountryAggie

I'm leaning towards the 7.3, but I've been tossing the idea around of selling the truck and finding a 7.3 Excursion to start with instead. Any thoughts on this?

Got Beer

Observer
Mine is an '01 7.3l the same color as yours. My vote is for you to move away from the 7.3 truck only so I can score a deal on the bumper.

BackcountryAggie

Your current truck is, at the very least, the devil that you know. I'd stick with that.

I agree, but the issue I have with my truck is the length. After dragging this thing around brush and trails for years, I've realized that I'd like something shorter. Since I've got the camper shell on, and the other truck, I don't use the 7.3 bed anymore as a truck bed, so I won't miss it.

My "requirements" for a rig are: solid axles, diesel power, and lots of space for stuff. My "wants" are as short a wheelbase and length as possible. While the F250 meets all the requirements, an Excursion would hit those and the wants as well. I've tossed around the idea of selling the 02 and finding a single cab/long bed or an extended cab/short bed for the last year or so, but I just realized that the Excursion is shorter overall than both, has a much shorter wheelbase, and has 100x more interior space. Hell, the wheelbase is almost as short as a Tacoma DCSB and is shorter than a DCLB. The problem I've seen is just trying to find one that isn't $20,000 or 250,000 miles since there were so few of them made compared to the F250.

BackcountryAggie

Was the 02 for sale on TBH for a while?

I vote sell it and scratch up the '15 you only live once. :)

It sure was, TBH is the only site I frequent more than ExPo.

I don't mind scratching up the 15, I'm just worried about all the news emissions, sensors, and computers on it failing in the middle of nowhere. I'm searching for an Excursion now, but having trouble finding a decently priced one. I suppose I'll keep the search up and see what shows up, I'm not in a hurry, so I don't want to settle.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Build the '15, I'm about to do a '17. I say delete the nannies and rig that puppy up for long haul adventures.

Dalko43

Explorer
Thanks for the insight everyone.

This is the question I keep going back to. I've used the 02 as an all-around rig and DD for a while, so I've kept it fairly mild in terms of a build, but it's covered in scratches from South Texas mesquite and hail dents on every panel, so it dropped in value on looks alone for a potential sale. When I bought the 15, I planned on making it my all around rig and selling the 02, but after figuring what I'll actually get for it, I just decided to keep them both.

I just paid off the 15, so the build budget for either one is gaining traction again, I've just got to decide which one to go with. The 15 rides 1000x better than the 02, but if I decide to use the 02, I'll either get Atlas springs all the way around or possibly an 05+ axle swap to get coils.

The issue I keep coming back to is that everything I've done on the 02 as a performance mod, the 15 already has. It took 2" springs, F350 blocks in the rear, and Bilstein shocks to fit 35s that still rubbed on the 02, but the 15 fit the 35s stock. All the bolt ons to the 7.3 still didn't bring it anywhere near the power and drive-ability of the 15. Plus the sound system, navigation, and AC seats on the 15 are a nice upgrade as well, not to mention the rear locker.

I have no problem spending the money on the 02 to get it on par with the 15, I'm just wondering if y'all think it's worth it in the end. I know plenty of people overland in both new and old, it's just hard to make the decision when it's staring me in the face.

I'm in a similar boat to you. I'm split between getting an older pre-2007 Ram 2500 or a much newer 2013+ Ram 2500.

My view on this issue has changed the more I've looked into these types of trucks. The older trucks, while perhaps a little less complicated than the newer ones, are generally going to require a bit more work to make "overland" ready: more work to fit bigger tires (as you noted); more work to make the suspension comfortable for long trips; more work to keep the older vehicle road-worthy. I haven't made up my mind on which way I'll go, but I have given serious consideration to the newer HD pickups for a few reasons:
- Emissions were a major turn-off for me at first. But upon a bit more research, I've found that the 3 big manufacturers have put a lot of effort into refining and improving those systems. I don't know if they're necessarily as reliable as the mechanical diesels of old, but they do seem better than the problematic systems that came out in 2007-2008.
- Ford and Ram have both made improvements to their suspensions and chassis. Not only do they seem to ride better from the factory, but it is easier to fit bigger tires (as you noted).
- The newer vehicles are more comfortable and refined than the older ones. And while I can appreciate an old-school, bare bones, no frills, 4x4 pickup or SUV, for the longer road trips I plan on taking, modern amenities (bluetooth, heated seats, backup camera, better transmissions, better seats) are nice to have, if not absolutely necessary.
- Complicated electronic systems are not really anything new. If the vehicle was built after the mid to late 90's, chances are you're dealing with "complicated electronics" for engine management, albeit the systems are much more dated (and likely more prone to malfunction at this point). And in terms of diesel engines, anything from the early 2000's on, you're likely dealing with common rail injection. Complexity is not something that is specific to "newer" vehicles. The only real changes are the previously mentioned emissions systems.
- Vehicle size. It is true that the older diesel pickups are bit smaller and perhaps a little more nimble than the newer ones. But I don't think a newer 3/4 ton is all that restricted when it comes to overlanding. Considering that "offroading" pickups, like the Raptor, are wider than some 3/4 ton's and are only a tad smaller in wheelbase (relative to shortbed 3/4 ton's), if a mid-sized or full-sized pickup can make it down the road, so too can a 3/4 ton. The only areas where you might have issues would be dedicated ATV trails or rock-crawling jeep trails (like the Rubicon), though even there you can likely make it through as long as you're okay with some scratched paint and/or body damage.

Unless you have sentimental attachment to the 02 Ford, my view is that you should sell it (or scrap it for parts if that's more profitable) and build up and enjoy your 15 Ford; as long as you do the proper maintenance to keep the emissions systems happy, you should be able to spend a lot more time exploring and a lot less repairing with the newer truck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne