1990 Trooper Makeover

Panhandler

Project details:
Donor: 1984 untitled, 2door , 1.9 liter 4cyl manual
Recipient: 1990 clean titled 4 door with bad 6cyl and auto

This is my first real venture into motor/tranny removal/install so there may be some potential screwing up to ensue. I have less than $1k in both vehicles so the financial risk is minimal.
This vehicle will be a general farm/hunting truck so other than the engine/tranny swap only some ghetto cosmetic upgrades will be made. I'll use roll on bedliner on the interior and a rattle can paint job followed by my custom camo on the exterior.
I tend to be pretty lazy on build updates so it may be slow going.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Let the fun begin.
The subjects:
e8e2e2f780c706e3412d9814d7ff04f7.jpg

Removed all interior and pressure washed 27 years of funk out.
af1917e4a176934d62f76f2f77c59d75.jpg

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
I want that round eye grill i will use the dark side of the force to pay you in buttons for it if ya want to sell it to recoup some coins. looks like a nice build. good luck:ylsmoke: the 1.9 is a slow motor btw.

stuckish.jpg heres one of my many custom cam paint jobs. i plan on a WWI navy splinter cam on my boat

Last edited:

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
So you are installing the 1.9L into the 90? You will probably run into some issues with the mounts on the frame and the the transmission crossmember, but if you can do some fabrication, it shouldn't be an issue. However, like Jim said, that 1.9l is going to be slow. Good luck with the project.

Panhandler

So you are installing the 1.9L into the 90? You will probably run into some issues with the mounts on the frame and the the transmission crossmember, but if you can do some fabrication, it shouldn't be an issue. However, like Jim said, that 1.9l is going to be slow. Good luck with the project.

That's the plan. Slow is okay. I think in the long run it will be worth it for the $$. I'll run close to stock tire size and I'm in the flatlands. Any idea where'd I'd find axle gearing? Not sure if they are the same.
I will keep the 6/auto and rebuild for later when more power and auto would be nice. For now the expeditions will be local. Later in life some longer trips are a possibility.
I probably won't be fabricating but can have it done. Having them side by side should help. I do see it will take time. I may need a window unit in the garage.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Both should have 4.56 gearing, however the 84's axles are inferior to the 90's so don't plan on keeping those for spares.

Panhandler

Plans have changed.
I'm selling the 84 to a friend and focus on the 90. Engine has blown HG and I've treated with magic bottle. I'm still cleaning and removing undercarriage protection and pressure washing.
Power steering leaks but wks fine when full. I will slowly make improvements and possibly drive local until motor dies or time/money allow install of reman motor/tranny.
Since not building a true expo rig I will continue updates on planetisuzoo. Same user name.
Come tell me what u think.
Panhandler

outofrshell

Adventurer
Nice Trooper the V6 is a good engine, just a little under powered in stock form but there is a lot of room for more performance. Your power steering leak can be slowed or stopped with Lucas power steering additive. I am usually not a fan of additives but this stuff has really worked. Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior