Murphy Bed/ Door as sleep setup in Expo camper?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I use sleeper sofa's in all mine so I can still carry a full complement of people safely (Same seat belt points etc). I have had a few people in the back when going over some interesting roads and they found it comfortable. Enough that my grand daughter wanted to travel back there all the time (No). The benefit of the sleeper sofa is fairly cheap, easy and quick (after you get them made). I think the most 1 have paid is around $800 delivered and then it is literally about 2 hours to install them (need a welder if you are keeping the boxes underneath).

The downside is that it limits the seating/dining options. The height mine are off the floor (didn't want to reduce the storage capacity underneath) makes you feel like a little kid when you sit there with your feet dangling or have to use a footrest. Also depending on the length of the existing bench you either have to sleep short (6' on my last one), cut into the rear cabinet or make up an extension for the head area. I chose the 6' model so I didn't have to modify the cabinet at the rear of the bench which did take a long time to do on the Yella one. Another downside is that you need to pack your bed up to use the inside every day. We sometimes leave it setup as a bed when hauling ******** across the country or when we are camped for a while (we cook and live outside as much as possible anyway). Setting the bed up takes a couple of minutes and taking it down is still under 5 minutes. I think I have a video of the process somewhere.

Now this works for us because with the air ride rear suspension we are nearly always sleeping with our feet downhill towards the back of the rig. Your mileage may vary depending on the trucks stance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles