2003 International 3800 Bus Conversion

keons500

Observer
Been working not posting... The subfloor is built to use a honeycomb like structure with high density spray insulation and 1/4" ply on top. The compression of the spray foam is 30 psi according to the contractor. All of the window frames and door frames are welded in. Passenger side sheeting is completed. We need to cut out the windows and finish sealing. Driver side sheeting will be done today.

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

Next up is to finish fabrication for new front seats, cut the window holes in the sheeting, resheet the rear door, etc.. By the end of next week I will be switched over to electrical and the charging system. I got an interesting unit from Sterling Power in the UK. They said the voltage drop would not effect the DT466E but I'm curious to find out.

Can't wait to handle suspension/tires after the road trip and get down to Baja!!

keons500

Observer
I've mounted two front seats (haha). The stairs had to be fabricated into a semi-spiral in order to curve before the new passenger seat. Otherwise the stairs would go right into the seat. I'll try to get some photos.

Windows are cut!

Front to back: driver window, two "kitchen" windows above counter, "bedroom" window

IMG_0961.jpg

Three windows along bench seat area plus door framed for RV door

IMG_0962.jpg

Starting to remember why I chose a project instead of an RV. The "depth" of the windows shows how the durability of the bus conversion compared to a typical RV. Super stoked! Focusing heavily on getting ready for spray insulation day after tomorrow.

java

Expedition Leader
Good luck! Insulation will make a HUGE difference, it wont sound like a tin can anymore

keons500

Observer
Nice! I was glad I let other people do that part. The grinding was NASTY work.

We actually did that part, haha... Supposed to be on the road in 11 days. Who's stupid idea was this?

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1159.jpg
    IMG_1159.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 39

java

Expedition Leader
Brave man to grind all that crap! I had little bits of it floating around for months! I like the over the floor insulation. Thats a nice touch!

keons500

Observer
Thanks guys!

Update: Dislocated little toe, infected big toe, rolled ankle, and I'm broke. But the bus is looking sick! Realistically we still have to install the new charging system, battery bank, and all wiring. The interior also needs to be built out, but all the major fabrication is complete. We're bound to have about a million issues this week wrapping up loose ends.

Bus hits the road this Saturday. I'm planning on driving it from Grand Rapids MI to Nashville TN then flying back. I want to be able to retorque lugs, u-bolts, etc and make sure I'm there to fix any issues along the way.

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

xbombtek

Observer
Ok, this is really cool. Great work.

But, I'm sure I'm not the only one that is wondering about the abandoned build you moved into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste