2003 International 3800 Bus Conversion

keons500

Observer
I've been viewing Expedition Portal for a while dreaming of which adventure rig I was going to build. I didn't have a budget to actually build something, and a school bus hadn't hadn't even crossed my mind as something I would want. For work, I happen to need a vehicle that will sleep six guys for a cross country tour. Suddenly I have a budget and four (technically six) wheels to get me moving!

I was a big fan of Ozrockrat's FL60 ambulance. I almost contacted him to check it out for purchasing, but again the money and sleeping space didn't add up. I read his entire build thread and everything I could find on it. My girlfriend also wasn't too stoked on camping out of an ambulance, haha. Longterm, I'd like to put on a locking axle and a similar lift/tire setup. The end result being a rig that gets me on most roads and has room for the work guys to go on tour. Although, I'm not sure the $0.55/mile "writeoff" will work out in my favor and who knows what I will learn as I move forward!

The bus is supposed to hit the road on July 1. The initial focus is replacing the blown front suspension, refinishing the exterior and sealing the box/windows, and installing a sub floor. The next step is to create an electrical system with RV A/C, outlets, and a refrigerator. Focus on quality of these 3-4 items will allow a good base for any interior/exterior mods chosen in the vehicle's life. The budget doesn't allow for much more right now, and the 6,000 mile summer trip will burn through the rest of the life left in these tires anyways.

I didn't have much time to waste and bought the first school bus I looked it! In reality, I bought this particular bus because the motor/trans/frame are clean and interest me. The air brakes are the only thing that didn't add up.

2003 International 3800 School Bus w/ 193k miles
Blue Bird School Bus Body
DT466E w/ Allison Trans
Air ride rear suspension
Air brakes

Happy that the motor appears to be in great condition (key word being appears):

IMG_9780.jpg

IMG_9779.jpg

With some buddies getting it home some 190 miles (I'm the goofy fellow on the left):

IMG_9682-1.jpg

The final resting place in my shop:

IMG_9680-1.jpg

Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

redman4556

Adventurer
Looks like an awesome platform! And it does look pretty darn clean from first glance! Will definitely follow along on your journey!

keons500

Observer
Did I mention that I don't have any tools larger than 3/8" ratchets and don't even own a jack? Haha... I found these machine stands on Craigslist. I got'em for $64 and asked to include a 5/8" drill bit I saw sitting in the guy's shop. I drilled the pin hole out to 5/8". The local hardware store hooked me up with some 5/8" grade 8 bolts & nuts for free since they owed me one. Not a bad set of stands for the price!

The height as pictured is around 22" which is perfect for the bus.

IMG_9746.jpg

Last edited:

redman4556

Adventurer
Sounds exactly like my situation! Gotta love jumping head first into a project without proper tools ;) I figure, I'll learn as I go and buy what I need :p

keons500

Observer
Sounds exactly like my situation! Gotta love jumping head first into a project without proper tools ;) I figure, I'll learn as I go and buy what I need :p

Yup! I really had no idea what I was getting into. I'm blessed with the big things like a decent shop and awesome friends to help. Lacking on both the tools and experience end of things.

Glad the bus is welcome here :smiley_drive:

dlh62c

Explorer
Looks like a fun project. If you got the vehicle registration and insurance sorted, the rest is easy.

keons500

Observer
Looks like a fun project. Did you get a 5 or 6 speed Allison?

Not a clue! When I search the VIN on the Allison website I just find that it is an Allison trans "6310275244 - 2000". I searched around and couldn't find a way to decode the VIN. Do you know? Thanks again for the inspiration with the FL60 build.

View attachment 396547

What is wrong with air brakes? As long as the system has an air dryer/filter, they are great!

Right !! Airbrakes are great! Bonus points, 100% dutycycle aircompressor built in ! You wont need to ask "whats the best place to fit my ARB..."
Welcome to "Skoolie"

I was under the impression I might have some locking up on gravel due to the sensitive of air brakes. I'm more used to them now after the drive home. The onboard air is sweet!

Looks like a fun project. If you got the vehicle registration and insurance sorted, the rest is easy.

I haven't registered it yet, but I have it insured as a bus in my own name. This took about ten different agents and finally showing the liability is low due to it being gutted with no seats. No one wants to insure a bus that crashes with 30 people in it, makes sense. I'm going to wait to register it until the conversion is done and change the registration to an RV. Michigan seems pretty easy on this end.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Do you have a push button gear selector. When it displays it should show a 5 or a 6. That tells you what gears they have configured. I am not familiar with the 2000 series but I think they were always a 6 speed that could be limited to 5 speeds in the calibration. There are shops around that can reflash the TCM to enable 6th. Makes for a great cruising gear.

.61 : 1 instead of .71 :1 top gear.

keons500

Observer
I do not have the push button gear selector (R-N-4-2-1). I did a bit more research on the 2000 series transmission. Looks like the 2001-2005 years had a five speed transmission (.71 : 1) and the 2006+ had the sixth gear (.61 : 1).

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I do not have the push button gear selector (R-N-4-2-1). I did a bit more research on the 2000 series transmission. Looks like the 2001-2005 years had a five speed transmission (.71 : 1) and the 2006+ had the sixth gear (.61 : 1).

Bugger! But at least the 2000 series had lockup on most gears didn't they? Makes a big difference to the heat they produce. Also some of them had a builtin parking pawl so you didn't have to worry about driveline parking brakes.

dlh62c

Explorer
I haven’t registered it yet, but I have it insured as a bus in my own name. This took about ten different agents and finally showing the liability is low due to it being gutted with no seats. No one wants to insure a bus that crashes with 30 people in it, makes sense. I’m going to wait to register it until the conversion is done and change the registration to an RV. Michigan seems pretty easy on this end.

I already knew you may have difficulty, insurance isn't impossible, just problematic. Its always been a problem for Tiny Home builders and owners. Its not the insurance companies themselves, but their underwriters. The secret is to insure it for what it currently is, NOT for what you intend to turn it into. Once the state buys off the RV conversion and issues a new title and VIN plate, then re-insure it as an RV.

Save as many receipts as you can, especially for big ticket items. This helps assign a value to the build.

keons500

Observer
Ozrockrat - From what I read the neutral lockup and parking pawl are both options - not sure if they are on my trans or not. There is a trans break while driving that acts as a really nice "down shifter". I honestly think there may be the 6th speed hidden away too but I kept reading contradicting sources. I'm feeling under the gun getting the bus ready for the July trip and will play with these things after it's road worthy for the summer road trip. This is all new to me and a lot to take in.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I got the parts in for the front suspension and am a bit confused. Does the top "block" transfer to the new leaf pack? I have semi-round u-bolts and need the top of the leaf pack to match the shape.

IMG_9886.jpg

IMG_9888.jpg

Also replacing all the hardware, bushings, and using heavier duty fasteners where I can like the u-bolt nuts.

IMG_9881.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste