Colorado Alternative to the Carange?

A couple of us cannot make the annual Sierra Carnage this year due to the fact we have kids now, and have to be back before most want to leave for the Carnage due to school. So the idea came up to have a Colorado alternative trip earlier. Obviously a bit different, with no Colorado four wheeler's around here any more, easier trails, and a little more spread out. But could be a ton of fun. So here is a rough sketch of an idea. Subject to discussion and revision at this point. Why these trails? They line up, provide some level of challenge, and interest me. :smiley_drive:

Friday 7/28: Meet at Mt Blanca Base Camp. (or my place night before or on way up)
Saturday 7/29: Run Mt Blanca Camp at Lake Como (short Day)
Sunday 7/30: Head down Mt Blanca and over to Carnage Canyon and China Mans Gulch, camp base of Mt Antero afterwards (long day)
Monday 7/31: Do Mt Antero, then hit Princeton Hot Springs, then Grizzly Lake, camp at Grizzly lake
Tuesday 8/1: Head to Holy Cross City, stop at Leadville Mining Museum. Camp at Holy Cross City.
Wednesday 8/2: Drive over to Battlement Mesa and run trails camp??(sorry dont have guide books handy)
Thursday 8/3: Battlement Trails......
Friday 8/4: Schofield Pass Camp Waterfall Area??
Saturday 8/5: Camp at Black Bear
Sunday 8/6: Run Black Bear and Head Home

Requirements for this trip would be far less then the Carnage, with rear traction aid, sliders and no tiny tires about all the would be advisable.

KyleT

Explorer
Fwiw carnage canyon is closed. Or was last year and several years past. Last summer we couldn't even get to the start to hike it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up! Been awhile, need to do some more itinerary work and research...I think you mean the little side thing up in Boulder, not the REAL Carnage Canyon by BV?

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
The rest are great trails. Mt Princeton hot springs is very nice too. My wife and I usually spend a couple nights there a couple times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I'd be very interested at least in hitting some of it. As far as I know there isn't anything on my schedule during that block but I'm not sure how much time off I'll be able to get.

If you want to hit part, its more logical to meet for the start and leave early between trails somewhere. We gave up on the pressure to make sure we meet someone somewhere part way decades ago. Too many things can go wrong.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Absolutely, that would be my approach, through the first weekend probably Mon/Tuesday. Perhaps more, but with two small kids getting that much time off in a row gets to be a challenge...

coffeegoat

Adventurer
How old are the kids? By then I'll have a 3 yr old and a ~8 month old. I'm guessing those are still a bit young to bring along...

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Any chance to move this to start August 4th? Your forcing me to have to plan my own sierra carnage.

Mine are 5 and 7. One of my kids starts school 8/11 (yeh a Friday, freaking brilliant) I might be able to move back to the 4th and have the oldest miss one day of school....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94