Percolator coffee pot

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Bonus points for the irony of that statement...IF it was intentional. :)

Oh, my tongue was definitely in the neighborhood of my cheek.

It's true though, I could never get to like perc'd coffee so I switched to my small stainless french press. YMMV.

perterra

Adventurer
Oh, my tongue was definitely in the neighborhood of my cheek.

It's true though, I could never get to like perc'd coffee so I switched to my small stainless french press. YMMV.

I only drink coffee thats been ******** from a civet cat, everything else is just, well, awful

gunsandgearnetwork

I prefer to use the instant coffee's from Starbucks or Cafe Bustelo. Or the easy way is to make cowboy coffee.

[video]https://youtu.be/tq7Si7cp2jM[/video]

NMC_EXP

Explorer
As others have stated, a coarser grind is better.

In my opinion the key to good coffee from an old school percolator is this: Bring the water to a boil before inserting the basket/coffee/tube assembly into the pot. Once this is done start the timer. How long you let it perk depends on you and the specific coffee.

Having the coffee in the pot from the git-go yield a very unpredictable result. A little spurt of hot water once in a while puts coffee in the pot which is then overcooked while you wait for it to come to a full boil.

It just tastes better this way.

There will be a small geyser of boiling water ejected from the top of the tube when you drop it in. Got to be quick or wear a glove.

Rivers2run

Observer
I am a big Aeropress fan. I like it much better than a french press because it is a snap to clean and no sludge at the bottom of my coffee. The grounds just pop out. Makes an amazing cup of coffee, packs tiny, unbreakable.

TwinStick

Explorer

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Personally I use the GSI press they range in size up to 50oz. Although I have to admit, there is a unit made by stanley that is stainless steel and allows you to use the press cup to heat your water. That is appealing but I am already invested in the GSI and have no reason to change at this time. However if I was starting over I would give the stanley stainless press a try.

wagex

Adventurer
if you dont end up with atleast a little coffee grounds in your cup you arent camping properly. :)

Roger M.

Adventurer
if you dont end up with atleast a little coffee grounds in your cup you arent camping properly. :)

Exactly!
I mean real "camp coffee" (grounds simply tossed into kettle over fire) has at least 1/8" of grounds in every cup!

If you're drinking real camp coffee, that last sip is always followed by a scrunched up face, and a quick spit into the forest at the edge of the campsite!

grogie

Like to Camp
Exactly!
I mean real "camp coffee" (grounds simply tossed into kettle over fire) has at least 1/8" of grounds in every cup!

If you're drinking real camp coffee, that last sip is always followed by a scrunched up face, and a quick spit into the forest at the edge of the campsite!

Real camp coffee can also include reusing the grounds. (Old time cowboys would do so.) (haha)

Hi all,

Thanks guys for the advice!

For those who care, the reason I switched from a drip cone to the percolator was to reduce to one piece my coffee making gear.

With the drip cone I needed a vessel to heat water, the drip filter holder, and a vessel to hold the newly brewed coffee.

Regards,

Alan

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Exactly!

I used to make coffee that way. The definition of simplicity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke