Percolator coffee pot

Hi all,

Recently purchased a Stanley brand stainless steel percolator coffee pot, for using while camping.

Tried it out this weekend with mixed experience.

Looking for suggestions to make it this work better (i.e. better tasting coffee.)

Thanks much,

Alan

Ragman

Variables important

Using a percolator is a real learning experience and takes some practice. Starting out make sure your grind is right for the percolator, a course grind. Once it starts to boil (perc) turn the fire down so that it only bubbles gently. After this you will have to practice with time to your personal taste. Start with 10 minutes or s and go from there.

Good luck!

damon1272

Observer
I have found that I have to let it percolate longer than I expect and it is darker than when I use my coffee maker at home. I use the same coffee as I do at home. It tastes way better when percolated rather than drip. Also use the filters that wrap the rings rather than just the cut out paper filters. Cuts down on grinds and it is easier to clean up.
https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-6274...775&sr=8-6&keywords=percolator+coffee+filters

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
...Depends on what kind of coffee drinker you are; dissolve the spoon coffee drinkers often prefer Folgers at the rate of one heaping tsp /cup (not mug), personally I like Maxwell house (mellower, less acid bite) and one heaping tsp per mug (3-4 for an 8 cup perk) depending on altitude (varies the boiling point of water) it takes 15 to 25 minutes or so to make a batch... I drink for the taste and for a "warm me up in the morning" not for the caffeine.

morning coffee labor day 2016 DSCF0249.jpg

Enjoy

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Ignore the coffee snobs. Sure there are a million ways to do coffee. Percolators make good coffee and are simple. Plus the pot can double for heating water. I drink coffee like I put gas in my truck, it's hardly a gourmet experience, the most important part about it is the ingestion of caffeine. But I do like it to taste good.

I find the percolator makes better coffee than I'm accustomed to with minimal effort. It took some time adjusting how I did it before I got it where it tasted the best, but it's not rocket science. Not like I had to throw any pots out because it wasn't just so, just made a mental note, hey it needs to be stronger, boil a bit longer next time, or use more grounds. Heck, if it turns out weak I put it back on the heat and perc it a bit more.

I tried a coarser grind in my percolator at first, but found it just made it take longer to get any strength to the coffee. Now I just use regular grind for normal coffee makers, no problems. I take out the filter part and splash some water in it before I pour in the grinds, makes them stick to it and not go down into the coffee. I rarely get any grinds in the coffee cup despite not using any kind of paper filter.

I generally perc it 10 minutes or so, more or less to taste of course. Like the others said get it to boil then turn it down and let it slowly perc, just as long as you see it bubbling up in the clear sight knob that's fine, you don't need it to be really going at it making the lid jump.

I like New England Breakfast blend, but I'm not terribly picky, it's what my work provided for many years and I got used to it and started buying it for home. Now they give us some really cheap sludge I drink anyway. My Dad has always been a Folgers drinker, I can tolerate it but don't really like it that well, it's bitter.

I use this percolator, I was impressed with it, seems to be very good quality stainless.
https://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Classic-Stainless-Yosemite-Percolator/dp/B00005NCWQ

dstock

Explorer
Ignore the coffee snobs. Sure there are a million ways to do coffee. Percolators make good coffee and are simple. Plus the pot can double for heating water. I drink coffee like I put gas in my truck, it's hardly a gourmet experience, the most important part about it is the ingestion of caffeine. But I do like it to taste good.

I find the percolator makes better coffee than I'm accustomed to with minimal effort. It took some time adjusting how I did it before I got it where it tasted the best, but it's not rocket science. Not like I had to throw any pots out because it wasn't just so, just made a mental note, hey it needs to be stronger, boil a bit longer next time, or use more grounds. Heck, if it turns out weak I put it back on the heat and perc it a bit more.

I tried a coarser grind in my percolator at first, but found it just made it take longer to get any strength to the coffee. Now I just use regular grind for normal coffee makers, no problems. I take out the filter part and splash some water in it before I pour in the grinds, makes them stick to it and not go down into the coffee. I rarely get any grinds in the coffee cup despite not using any kind of paper filter.

I generally perc it 10 minutes or so, more or less to taste of course. Like the others said get it to boil then turn it down and let it slowly perc, just as long as you see it bubbling up in the clear sight knob that's fine, you don't need it to be really going at it making the lid jump.

I like New England Breakfast blend, but I'm not terribly picky, it's what my work provided for many years and I got used to it and started buying it for home. Now they give us some really cheap sludge I drink anyway. My Dad has always been a Folgers drinker, I can tolerate it but don't really like it that well, it's bitter.

I use this percolator, I was impressed with it, seems to be very good quality stainless.
https://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Classic-Stainless-Yosemite-Percolator/dp/B00005NCWQ

Thanks for the link! I'm thinking I might get back into percolating, instead of the one or 2 cups at a time on the Jetboil.

damon1272

Observer
One thing i would strongly caution you on before you buy a percolator is to get one with a silicon hand. That way you do not burn yourself nor do you need anything special to pick it up.

Abel Villesca

Explorer
I use a French press and various other coffee production implements at home and love them for the amount of flavor they produce. When camping I always use a perc pot. I've got a couple, but my new favorite is a resurrected Corningware 10 cup. The routine of prepping the pot and the sounds of coffee percolating on the camp stove bring back memories of family camping that I cherish. Done right, the coffee tastes great and there is plenty of it!

Clawhammer

Adventurer
I don't think I'm a coffee snob by any means, I just prefer coffee that's not awful...

Which is why I got rid of my perc and I'm now a french press user too. I have a stainless Bodum that makes two cups at a time. Usually use Seattle's Best brand (always seems to be on sale at a local place).

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I've used a percolator forever, and it makes awesome coffee. One trick I use is to line the basket with a paper napkin. I use the basic folded paper napkin (white), unfold it, punch a small hole in the center, line the basket with it, fill with grounds, fold the corners in, pushing the corners over the stem, put the basket top on and brew. This prevents a bunch of grounds from ending up in your brew, and saves money by not having to purchase additional filters, although you can if you like. Also makes cleanup easier as you just dump the used grounds into the fire.

Junkinduck

Observer
I use a French press and various other coffee production implements at home and love them for the amount of flavor they produce. When camping I always use a perc pot. I've got a couple, but my new favorite is a resurrected Corningware 10 cup. The routine of prepping the pot and the sounds of coffee percolating on the camp stove bring back memories of family camping that I cherish. Done right, the coffee tastes great and there is plenty of it!

I'm with you. I'm a bit of a coffee snob but I love the ritual of perking coffee when camping. The smell, the sound, I even like the taste, different than pressed but still good.
For me it is usually Foldgers perked on a Coleman stove. I go heavy on the coffee, bring to a perk, let slowly perk while cooking breakfast, drink from a double wall stainless cup that was my dads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles