Flashing Center Differential Light on Gen 3.5 Ltd.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Unfortunately for me I put in new full synthetic Amsoil a couple months ago that will go down the drain (recycled by the oil change place) and I will have to pay for again, but that is ok and definitely worth it....

Wait a minute...if you already have changed the oil, there's no reason to do so again. This sort of problem is likely to come from sludge and goo when the oil is old; if you've replaced it already then you know that this wasn't the issue.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Wait a minute...if you already have changed the oil, there's no reason to do so again. This sort of problem is likely to come from sludge and goo when the oil is old; if you've replaced it already then you know that this wasn't the issue.

In chronological order:
-Transfer case fluid change
-Mojave Road trip causing flashing light
-planned transfer case fluid change coming up this weekend and due to being cheap and easy thought I woukd give it a shot since I have no other clue where to start, little if any chance of making it worse and others have expressed that it worked for them.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Ok tried this just jow. Getting Code 33 which is: Transfer position switch/ open circuit- short circuit- switch failure.
So now I will have to find the part number for the "transfer position switch" and try to replace? I have to look over the FSM before I go any further. Will update when I know more.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Just got my fluids changed they all smelled burnt, I'll update after a good long drive to see if it helps.

Were your fluids pretty old?
Just curious since we have the same problem and mine is new. I could have gotten my transfer case and or trans too hot for too long so that could still be one of my issues.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Judging by the color - grey and cloudy - and the quantity of crap on the magnet - a bunch - I'd guess they were original fluids.

I have records of a fluid change on the transmission (with the incorrect fluid) but no indication of a diff fluid change.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
I was thinking some of our veterans would chime in on this issue. I haven't done the "repair" yet, but cleaning the contacts on the 5 transfer case solenoid/switches on top of the transmission is a possible fix, as well as checking the speed sensor. Here is also an interesting "fix" related to dirty contacts in the transmission harness connector. If all the vac lines test "good", consider cleaning electrical connections, then at the last, replace faulty solenoids themselves?

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5652

Here's another good "splanation" of our 4WD system:
http://4epikanini.webs.com/gen3pajero4x4system.htm

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I was thinking some of our veterans would chime in on this issue. I haven't done the "repair" yet, but cleaning the contacts on the 5 transfer case solenoid/switches on top of the transmission is a possible fix, as well as checking the speed sensor. Here is also an interesting "fix" related to dirty contacts in the transmission harness connector. If all the vac lines test "good", consider cleaning electrical connections, then at the last, replace faulty solenoids themselves?

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5652

Here's another good "splanation" of our 4WD system:
http://4epikanini.webs.com/gen3pajero4x4system.htm

Thanks Dave,
I will go through all of those steps from the other site. This will take me a few days.
I will report back after.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Throwing this out there again, I don't think the vacuum system is directly related to the operation of the center diff......if the center diff lock light is your only issue i wouldn't be chasing the vacuum system. From what I know of the system, if your front wheel indicator lights are either not lighting up (possible burned bulbs), flashing, or not turning off, that would be the vacuum system at fault. Shifting into, or selecting, any 4wd mode will trigger the vacuum system to engage the front diff......that's all it does as far as I know. I remember this because I had flashing greens once but the 4wd propellor shaft was still turning, it didn't care that the front diff wasn't engaged.

Last edited:

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Throwing this out there again, I don't think the vacuum system is directly related to the operation of the center diff......if the center diff lock light is your only issue i wouldn't be chasing the vacuum system. From what I know of the system, if your front wheel indicator lights are either not lighting up (possible burned bulbs), flashing, or not turning off, that would be the vacuum system at fault. Shifting into, or selecting, any 4wd mode will trigger the vacuum system to engage the front diff......that's all it does as far as I know. I remember this because I had flashing greens once but the 4wd propellor shaft was still turning, it didn't care that the front diff wasn't engaged.

I only have the round yellow center diff light flashing. I am certain that all of my green lights work for each wheel.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Have you checked all of the connectors on the transfer yet? I have not had the flashing light in my 05, but I did notice a loose connector fitment on one of the wires while changing the transfer case oil. I zip-tied it together to prevent any possible issues. The center differential movement is controlled by the transfer case hydraulics, not the vacuum system. The vacuum lines are only used for engagement of the free-wheel clutch on the front axle.

The green lights are only indicator lights. Rear bulbs burn out normally, but the fronts will flash if there is an issue with the front axle engagement (usually the free-wheel clutch). Flashing center is for transmission/transfer case faults codes.

Hopefully this link gives better clarification. http://4wd.blogeasy.com/article.view.run?articleID=318776#tabs-1

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Have you checked all of the connectors on the transfer yet? I have not had the flashing light in my 05, but I did notice a loose connector fitment on one of the wires while changing the transfer case oil. I zip-tied it together to prevent any possible issues. The center differential movement is controlled by the transfer case hydraulics, not the vacuum system. The vacuum lines are only used for engagement of the free-wheel clutch on the front axle.

The green lights are only indicator lights. Rear bulbs burn out normally, but the fronts will flash if there is an issue with the front axle engagement (usually the free-wheel clutch). Flashing center is for transmission/transfer case faults codes.

Hopefully this link gives better clarification. http://4wd.blogeasy.com/article.view.run?articleID=318776#tabs-1

As always good info. I need to crawl under and look at everything. (Very much off topic: I woukd like to extend my diff breathers also.) I do not have much experience around the transfer case. I will probably look over some diagrams from the FSM and poke around and look at the electrical connections etc. In my case my flashing center diff light came on after a good long stretch of 4HLC and 4LLC driving from the Mojave Road. Nothing extremely demanding other than the engine, transmission and transfer case probably getting near the upper limit operating temperature, so it could maybe be heat related damage although no idiot lights came on and all systems worked perfectly on the trip and they all work perfectly now. I suspect I may have a loose wire connection or something.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior