Flashing Center Differential Light on Gen 3.5 Ltd.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
So over the Easter break I drove the entire Mojave Road, 150ish miles offroad over 3 days. All went well. Had it in 4HLC and 4LLC a few times. After one of those times I took it all the way back to 2wd. Looked at my display and had a persistent flashing yellow light on the wheels/center diff picture diagram on the instrument cluster. Everything seems to be working perfectly but the light stays flashing. I will look over the FSM tomorrow and the owners manual tonight. Any words of wisdom on the problem?

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Maybe a bad sensor or a shorted wire leading to it. Probably nothing serious.

John B.

That would be good news if that is the case. I will try to see if I can get codes read also. I will also test drive on some sand in 4LLC to make sure it is actually going into 4LLC and 4 HLC for that matter. More info when I get it. Thx.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Posted my own thread on this a few months back (Gen III) but have still never learned the cause. Unlike most such problems, all the various modes work perfectly well. It's just that the orange lamp blinks after several miles of driving in 2WD. Turning the ignition off resets it, but it always comes back. No such blinky in any of the 4WD modes, and sometimes switching from 2 to 4WD for a while will prevent it happening even after going back to 2WD. I replaced the vacuum solenoid valve, traced all the vacuum lines, and verified function of all the mechanical and electrical components of the front axle system. I'm just leaving it alone for now because everything works and I have other priorities.

I would sure like to see what you come up with!

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Posted my own thread on this a few months back (Gen III) but have still never learned the cause. Unlike most such problems, all the various modes work perfectly well. It's just that the orange lamp blinks after several miles of driving in 2WD. Turning the ignition off resets it, but it always comes back. No such blinky in any of the 4WD modes, and sometimes switching from 2 to 4WD for a while will prevent it happening even after going back to 2WD. I replaced the vacuum solenoid valve, traced all the vacuum lines, and verified function of all the mechanical and electrical components of the front axle system. I'm just leaving it alone for now because everything works and I have other priorities.

I would sure like to see what you come up with!

Very interesting. I can honestly say that I did not even search for this subject because I did not remember reading about it at all. I will read your post on the subject. Not sure if I explained it well but on our trucks you can go from 2 to 4wd while moving by just throwing 2-4wd shifter. I usually stop and then shift out of an abundance of caution. Then I went into the other modes while in neutral then back into drive etc. When it came time to go all the way back to 2wd I went from 4LLC to 4HLC (I watch to see this is successful before going all the way to 4wd and then 2wd. So arter all of that I had flashing. Just as you said, I turned off the engine (per owner's manual) which resets for a while and then it will start the flashing diff. SO knowing yours did this and appeara fine I will keep looking for a solution but I will take some time and try not to throw money at it until I have a specific reason to fix something. I appreciate your feedback!

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I have the same symptoms and followed the same approach as Sabre and replaced the vacuum solenoids, no luck yet, it seems to have helped (it takes longer to start blinking now) but everything still seems to work. My most recent attempt is to "exercise" the system by toggling back and forth a bunch on short trips. If starting the truck in 4WD and then switching to 2WD works perhaps I'll just have to always park in 4WD and switch out when I head out, it would certainly help with stickiness.

As with everyone else, I've got other things to work on so this is low priority...

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Let's see, the center diff light wouldn't be related to the vacuum system right? As far as I know the vacuum system is only used for the front diff. Not sure how different the systems are between the Gen-3's and Gen-2's......

Last edited:

coffeegoat

Adventurer
The flashing center diff light is just the "transmission error" indicator, there can be (apparently) a variety of causes and solutions .

Offroadmuch

Explorer
The flashing center diff light is just the "transmission error" indicator, there can be (apparently) a variety of causes and solutions .

That could be a good clue, in that the transmission would almost certainly be working harder (getting hotter than normal) I might take it to my local transmission guy who is honest and pretty knowledgeable. He said he has rebuild Montero transmissions in the past.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
When we 1st got my wifes Gen 3...the indicator light would flash especially on prolong highway driving after awhile. As I was researching what could be the cause someone suggested doing a transfer case fluid change which was something I was going to do anyways after we bought it.

After the fluid change, we haven't had the issue come up again...its been about 5 years since.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
When we 1st got my wifes Gen 3...the indicator light would flash especially on prolong highway driving after awhile. As I was researching what could be the cause someone suggested doing a transfer case fluid change which was something I was going to do anyways after we bought it.

After the fluid change, we haven't had the issue come up again...its been about 5 years since.

Much appreciated. I might just do that. Fairly cheap compared to real transmission work (or transfer case.)

coffeegoat

Adventurer
That's actually the first time I've heard of the transfer case fluid change fixing the issue - and there are a bunch of threads on this. I'll give it a try as well, I have the stuff in the garage to do it, I just haven't gotten around to it yet...

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I probably should have searched this more before starting the thread. To recap why I didn't I should explain that for about 6 months I read almost every thread on every topic for Monteros but I probably did not take it to heart since I wasn't dealing with it first hand. I did test drive this morning and all the 4wd functions work perfectly and no flashing diff light either but it usually comes on after a longer time on the road so I still consider this not fixed. I will do a transfer case fluid change as an easy/cheap possible solution.
Coffeegoat I will be interested to hear if this works for you also.
I will update after the fluid change.

Last edited:

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Give a fluid change a shot...its a cheaper alternative and also its good maintenance to do anyways.

Unfortunately for me I put in new full synthetic Amsoil a couple months ago that will go down the drain (recycled by the oil change place) and I will have to pay for again, but that is ok and definitely worth it....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles