My fullsize Flippac interior build

harris

Greetings everyone.
Quick introduction before the interesting stuff. (Somewhat) longtime lurker, first time poster here. I've spent many hours browsing threads on here looking at various trucks and campers and trailers while dreaming of creating a vehicle for myself capable of moving me around on adventures. I did some rudimentary modifications to a Chevy 1500 with a standard shell, basically giving me a dry place to sleep and a few places to store gear, but it wasn't enough. High mileage and increasing maintenance needs pushed me to sell the Silverado, so I moved on to a 2016 Ram 1500. I went back and forth about buying one of the new 4x4 sprinter vans, but decided ultimately that the cost was higher than I was willing to spend, in addition to interior restrictions. I'm 6'5", which means a bed will take up a lot of space. Additionally, I have an alarming number of hobbies, including but not limited to mountain biking, dirt biking, snowboarding, paddleboarding and hiking. Aside from hiking, everything takes up a lot of space, so a van was out. After seeing the Flippac and Habitat campers I knew that was the way to go. As luck would have it I didn't have to wait too long before finding a one year old Flippac just a couple of hours away from where I live. A quick inspection and a celebratory high five and I was on my way home with my new camper.

The truck:
2016 Ram 1500 Tradesman 4x4
Added Clazzio seat covers and heaters for the front seats, and a cell phone holder. Not much else for now.

The camper:
6'4" Flippac camper purchased in late 2015.

The shell came off of a 2005 Dodge 2500 diesel, and fortunately the bed rails have nearly identical dimensions eleven years later, so it dropped right on to my bed. Unfortunately, the tailgate is drastically different. It seems like all new trucks have thoroughly contoured tailgates, and the flat back window of the Flippac didn't play nice. I called up a local camper shell dealer and ordered a contoured fiberglass skirt from a different model shell.
IMG_20170412_135347.jpg
Here you can see I removed the bottom of the rear window frame. I then notched right below the channel that the glass sits in and fit the skirt into it. I riveted a piece of 1" aluminum angle underneath the middle of the skirt for a little extra support, and then glued the skirt into the slot with some silicone caulking.
IMG_20170412_141830.jpg
Next I made a small cutout at each side of the skirt to clear the locking handles.
IMG_20170413_104314.jpg

With the rear window now weathertight it was time to start on the interior. My plan was to make something thoroughly modular and relatively lightweight. A bench on the passenger side that has a windoor and a set of cabinets on the drivers side for cooking and gear storage should cover my needs.
I began with the passenger side cabinet/bench. Creating a template for the two pieces that had to go around the wheel well felt like it took the longest. Most of the cabinet is made out of 1/2" ply with both ends made out of 3/4". It is all screwed together but not glued in case I want to make changes down the road. Here you can see me lining up a backer piece that would fit under the camper shell overhang. This is so that the lids would be able to fully open.

IMG_20170414_181701.jpg

Next I made the lids by gluing a bit of wood to make a lip on the front.

IMG_20170414_185900.jpg

After that was dry I ripped it in half and mounted the two lids with stainless steel hinges. Here you can see a small piece that I had to glue on the forward end as the camper shell overhangs slightly at the front of the bed.

IMG_20170415_162030.jpg

Passenger bench completed.

IMG_20170415_170431.jpg
IMG_20170416_144349.jpg

The center brace is also on a stainless hinge with a small stop/support on the inboard side of the cabinet for support. I put the hinge on it in order to allow maximum flexibility of space. This way I can fit long toys like snowboards inside of this cabinet and keep them out of the main space.

IMG_20170416_144400.jpg

The drivers side cabinet is the same exterior dimensions as the passenger side cabinet, but with a different layout for storage. I decided to go with shelves and doors on this side for access from the center of the truck. All of these spaces are made to fit sealed watertight totes, a Goal Zero Yeti 400 for power, and a propane bottle for cooking. I will be building an additional cabinet that mounts on top of the drivers side cabinet. This will function as a cooking surface as well as additional storage. Unfortunately I ran out of time, so both doors and the upper cabinet had to be put on hold. Fortunately, I ran out of time because I'm leaving early tomorrow for a week long trip through the southwest.

IMG_20170416_140640.jpg

Continued in next post.

harris

And one of the drivers side cabinet with cargo. A second small tote will fit on the bottom shelf, and four small totes will fit on the top shelf. There are a pair of 12V sockets at the aft end of this cabinet for charging the Goal Zero while driving.

IMG_20170416_144745.jpg

I looked at what a lot of other people have done to secure cabinets in truck beds, and was planning on using turnbuckles from the truck bed tie downs. Then my father, who had been helping me the whole time, suggested simply notching the cabinets so that the stock tie downs fit through and could have something fit through them. I carved some tapered pegs out of dowels which press the cabinets up against the sides of the truck bed.

IMG_20170416_134804.jpg

IMG_20170416_145012.jpg

I'm very pleased with this simple solution. There is no movement from the cabinets, although I'm going to have to wedge my totes inside until I can finish and install the doors.

Comments and criticisms are very welcome! I'll update this thread as I complete the cabinets. Hopefully someone else finds motivation to build something for themselves as I did from some of the other awesome vehicles on here.

malibubts

Adventurer
Looks great! The cabinets are some really nice work.

The pins on the tie downs were a good idea. I've been trying to figure out how I want to do my bed and the tie down if I built something was something I was unsure of.

You got any pictures of the whole truck with the Flippac on it? Mostly just curious how it looks. Anyway keep the updates coming!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
That is AWSOME!!

I didnt have any luck finding a flippac in my area so I had to build mine...youve done a great job building it out sofar!

02rangeredge

Adventurer
That is AWSOME!!

I didnt have any luck finding a flippac in my area so I had to build mine...youve done a great job building it out sofar!

don't be modest, yours is freaking awesome- but I forget, did you build anything for the truck bed? I vaguely remember leaving it open as bunks for little ones

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
don't be modest, yours is freaking awesome- but I forget, did you build anything for the truck bed? I vaguely remember leaving it open as bunks for little ones

mines all open due to working out of it every day...it hauls a huge toolbox...materials..pumps..ladders..etc...and yeah the little ones sleep in the cover panels as hammocks..its as functional as a regular truck cap...with a little EXTRA..

And thanks!! I like building things.

harris

I had planned on replying much sooner, but life happened. Thank you everyone for your comments! I'll try to answer the questions before blasting more pictures out from the latest changes.

malibubts, thank you! I snapped one of it from the outside for you. I'll have several more of the shell open further down in the post. So far its a nearly stock 2016 Ram 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel. I've added some LED bulbs to high and low but I'm not thrilled with them, especially off road and in inclement weather. This photo is after the suspension upgrades.

kalieaire, its great. I had never actually been in one until it was mounted on my truck.

wanderer-rrorc thank you! I really like what you've done. I'm curious to see what you do with the single wall flippac replacement as I've already realized just how dated the tent design of this is.

eaneumann, they're clear weathertight garage totes from The Container Store. They're pretty inexpensive, stackable, and sealed with a very large foam gasket. I like being able to see what I have inside of each one so I built the cabinets around the sizes of totes that I had.

Arclight, yours is one of the projects that I read through in full a few times before actually starting on mine. I definitely took some inspiration from you. On my initial shakedown trip I discovered just how much I dislike the stock lights so I'll be doing a similar conversion to you with 3 pole switches and a combo of red and warm white leds.

TroyHaas, thanks I'll try to keep updates coming more regularly in case I have any ideas you want to use.

And now for the update.
Immediately following my initial post I left on a 9 day trip through Nevada and Southwest Utah with my girlfriend to explore some parks, hotsprings, and backroads and to test out the camper setup. During the trip I discovered that my tailgate really needs to be properly sealed for dust, although not leaving the slider on the windoor open was probably responsible for a lot of the dust ingress. Oops. Also, the stock suspension on the Tradesman leaves a lot to be desired offroad, as well as the limited clearance of the stock truck with 32 inch tires. Furthermore, doors were needed as I had some movement of gear within the truck, and I definitely want to add an addition cabinet so that I can cook standing up.

A few pictures from the shakedown adventure. Our first night was spent at Spencer hot springs in central Nevada. These are just a few miles down a dirt road off of 50 and are very easy to find. There are several different pools in the area, although the first one was just being vacated when we pulled up. A couple hours soaking and watching sunset were just what we needed after driving all day from our starting point in Mendocino, CA.

We ended up spending the night a couple more hours down the road on some BLM land in a small depression. We woke up very early to frost all over the ground and a sunrise temperature of 18*. This was colder than we had anticipated on the trip, but amazingly it wasn't awful inside the Flippac. We then continued down the road to meet up with a couple of friends at Cathedral Gorge for the morning. Breakfast was cooked and coffee was cooked on the tailgate and then we spent several hours hiking around all of the amazing mud formations in the park.

We then parted ways with my friends and continued on to a camping spot just outside of Virgin, Utah. We lucked out and were able to back right up to the river for the night.

The next morning we got up early to make breakfast and coffee and then headed into Zion National Park for a hike up to Angels Landing. Now that I'm posting this I realize that I'm not the most creative with my photo angles. Please enjoy another picture featuring my feet.

We spent the night back at the same river campsite, and discovered one of the major downfalls of the Flippac. 45-60mph gusts had me fearing for our lives through most of the night, but aside from a lot of noise from the roof vents it turns out that nobody has had problems with a Flippac in high winds. Foam earplugs have been added to the gear list for future trips. We spent the next day hiking around Kolob Terrace in order to avoid the crowds in Zion canyon, and then headed west into the Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada. We camped just outside the park between a couple of small knolls just out of sight of the road. The Valley of Fire is home to some of the most interesting examples of plate tectonics that I have seen so far, with seemingly impossible rock formations of drastically different colors spread throughout the valley. We were fortunate enough that many of the wildflowers in the area were also in bloom.

After the Valley of Fire we continued west into Death Valley where we camped for the night and again had a rough night's sleep due to high winds. Earplugs are a must. After a quick but filling breakfast and coffee we set out to explore a couple of the easier to access places in Death Valley as I was uninterested in attempting any of the more rugged off road routes in the park. Yet.

And possibly the most unexpected part of the trip, there is a freshwater spring in Death Valley that runs year round. A relatively short hike up a canyon rewarded us with a veritable oasis amid the seemingly barren desert. Apparently this spring runs year round and there are several more waterfalls and pools higher up for those who feel like doing a bit of rock climbing. I will definitely be back to see the rest.

A vista shot as we were leaving the park.

We left Death Valley and drove north on 395 to Bridgeport where we spent our last night on the road in the National Forest. Then it was back to my home base on the north coast for cleaning and unpacking.

Airing out the camper after the trip.

harris

And now for the updates to the truck. Before I had even left for the trip I had begun talking with Don Thuren about a set of his custom valved 2.5 inch King reservoir shocks to replace the stock set and bring the front end up to level. These arrived just in time for me to install them before taking off for a few days helping at a high school mountain bike race and then a quick trip to south Florida for some fun. Don was extremely helpful and I am blown away at how well the suspension works now. Unfortunately, as can be seen in the first picture of my previous post the front end now sits a little higher than the rear, but I am looking into replacing the rear springs with some progressive-wound coils and some different links anyways. Once the stock tires wear out in another 6 months or so I will be replacing them with 35 inch all terrains.

Some testing at a winery in northern California. Not a whole lot of air, but I've got other toys for that purpose. This suspension works so well. I cannot speak highly enough of the product that Don Thuren has created nor of the customer service. Click the thumbnail for a mediocre quality but decent sized clip.

Then I added some doors to the drivers side cabinet that was previously open. They're hung with stainless hinges and secured with some little roller catches. To keep things from protruding I just used 1" holes as my method of opening them. Yes, they're a little crooked. No matter how I tried I couldn't get everything to line up just right. Turns out its pretty tough building square cabinets in something that flexes as it moves.

I'm still considering doing a cutout in the door with the Goal Zero in order to have access to the charging ports with the door shut. That said, the door does open flat up against the cabinet, so it isn't a huge problem. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

I also added a fire extinguisher that is accessible from inside with the tailgate closed if need be. Hopefully that need never exists.

Thats all I've got for now. I may start on the galley cabinet tonight, but that may just get postponed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online