TOTALLY NEW TO COMMS AND NAV, NEED PURCHASE ADVISE

Silverhorse

Adventurer
Need some advise on what to buy? So I plan to get into overlanding in the Southeast U.S. I'll be traveling to places I have never been with my younger(all under 9) children.. Safety and being able to communicate in an emergency are top priority. I have been offroading 30 years but I have NO experience with comms or nav, other than my cell phone and Garmin... :) any advice is greatly appreciated on what to purchase!!

thanks Bill

NW Florida

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
I really like Gaia GPS on a tablet for navigation, but if you already have a Garmin you like it may not be necessary

For comms there is pretty good 2m repeater coverage; I would look into getting a 2m or dual band radio and your technician license. Software like CHIRP makes programming radios almost idiot proof. I usually head out solo, and when deciding if a road looks okay to try on my own I try to hit a local repeater that's being monitored (and I always carry enough gear and food/water to shelter comfortable for multiple days in an emergency)

If you want the definite ability to get help, look into the Garmin InReach or the next step up would be a sat phone.

Silverhorse

Adventurer
thank you very much for the info, much appreciated! It would be easier to have the larger screen of a tablet...I will look into said equipment...

LR Max

Local Oaf
In all honesty, except for the deepest hole, I have pretty decent cell reception under most circumstances. Verizon, BTW. But my work phone is AT&T and it has good reception as well, usually.

X2 on Gaia GPS and a tablet. Works well and uses equipment you probably already own. That said, I've had better luck with stand alone GPS units. Better reception. Easier to use. But then again, that is just me.

Ham radio is a good place to start. As mentioned before, 2m covers a wide range here in the southeast. Yes you do have to study for the test, however if you are able to memorize facts and figures well, then the test is easy. The online "flashcard" pages is what really helped me get ready.

For Ham radio equipment...this is a HUGE debate. But long story short, the Baofeng UV-5R is a staple (ignore all other Baofeng units, I've tried a few others, they aren't as good as the 5R). Its a decent-ish enough radio, but most importantly, it is cheap as crap. So its purchase doesn't hurt too badly. More importantly, you need an external antenna for it to REALLY work. So a $30 magnet mount radio antenna with an adapter works great. But yes, getting the antenna outside of the vehicle makes all of the difference. So yeah, you can have a legit setup for under $100 that is easily moved.

The better units, like what mounts in the truck, or a good handheld are both EXTREMELY good. I went with the good handheld route and enjoy it well. Typically, outside of a vehicle in the woods, I can hit repeaters 15~20 miles away with the stock antenna, easy. BTW, this is just at 5 watts. Many hard-mount 2m radios are good up to 50w of power. So you can really reach out there and touch em with a proper setup on 2m.

For the southeast, 2m is the way to go. You can pretty much hit a repeater anywhere. Go over to the Southeast section and search for threads I've started. I have tried to start a list of popular repeaters within the Southeast. If you go onto http://k5ehx.net/ you'll see there are TONS of repeaters everywhere, but only a fraction of them are active. So its important to realize which ones actually have traffic for you to communicate on. Easier to reach help on a repeater that people are monitoring.

One thing to keep in mind about Ham equipment. New, you get sticker shock. However go online and look for used. Prices become a lot more reasonable. That is what I did for my fancy handheld. Saved A BUNCH of money and it works just fine.

As mentioned before, all of these radios need a computer to program them. But once its programmed, its good to go.

Check out Ham Radio 360 podcast to help get you going and to explore more areas of ham radio.

My friend has one of those Garmin Inreach thingies. I guess if people back home are that worried about you, go for it. Otherwise it seems like its something else. I'm just not into paying a monthly fee for something that tracks me. I guess if I was out west and going out every weekend, it would be worth it. But I get out...MAYBE once a month...for a day trip...usually with other vehicles or on popular tracks. So its like, why do I need to pay a monthly subscription to something else.

Lastly, its the southeast. If you get into trouble on a public track, wait. Usually within an hour, someone will be by.

e60ral

there are lots of areas of the Cherokee, Nantahala, and Chattahoochee national forests that don't have reliable cell coverage

The rugged radios kits are extremely overpriced for what they come with.

You can find the same parts on eBay/Amazon for a lot less.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the baofeng/baotech radios. The reciever isn't very sensitive so it loses repeaters at a closer distance then other radios that are only slightly more expensive. Yeasu makes a few entry level rigs.

e60ral

Those rugged radios look like Chinese radios at more than double the price, what am I missing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

e60ral

What's your budget and do you prefer android or iOS? iPads have the best GPS performance but they also cost a fortune.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LR Max

Local Oaf
there are lots of areas of the Cherokee, Nantahala, and Chattahoochee national forests that don't have reliable cell coverage

Usually a quick hike to the nearest summit will solve that. Dunno, just going off my experience and offering a cheap solution.

The rugged radios...they operate off the same VHF frequencies and are a private channel. So you are paying to use private channels. Yeah, looks like the actual radios are cheap chinese radios that are pre-programmed. Anywho, you can get the same benefit, if not more, from getting your ham certificate. Also one thing about these radios: you gotta have someone else on the other end for it to work. Considering how specialized this is, you might not actually be able to reach anyone outside of your immediate group with this.

Rugged radios would be ideal if you were going to travel with a group for like, a week or participate in group events once a month or so. But beyond that, I don't see much use.

Hence the benefit of ham. With popular repeaters, there is always someone you can reach, especially if you declare an emergency.

Tablets...I've used both. Right now running an iPad. Its pretty darn nice but I use it for so many different things. If you just want a tablet for nav purposes only, then yeah, android would probably be the best way to go. Nexus units are pretty popular (can't remember if they have certain models that explode on airplanes or not...probably should look into that).

Silverhorse

Adventurer
thanks for the clarification on the Rugged radios, that is what i assumed.. what I'm thinking at this point is to add a radio with GPS, ham or sat phone, with a dedicated GPS tablet. To be honest the whole HAM thing seems complicated as can be, When I start reading about it I get more convinced its may be more than i can take on with getting my rig ready, camping gear, etc etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior