A 2017 Desert Renewal

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Been busy getting out and exploring and am also trying to keep the reports flowing too.

Full report here: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2017/04/a-2017-desert-renewal.html

Highlights for all!

The recent rains have turned the deserts a shade of green I've not seen in a long time but that is not all that was renewed this spring. I have a number of friends that I worked with for many years and they have been hosting a large campout every spring since before I first met them. I've missed a number of the get togethers but this year I was able to join them for the telling of stories both old and new, campfires, great food, hiking and more.

I decided to head out a day early and set up some full-on glamping with the trailer and all of the toys I could pack into it. That gave me extra time to explore and try out my hand at a few things before my friends arrived.

It is always exciting to be out in the high desert and this was the first time I brought the expedition trailer to this area for a 5 day outing.

NKN_3920-1.jpg

Camp Teotwaki set for the adventure!

NKN_4005-1.jpg

Gathering firewood

NKN_3962-1.jpg

Mike on the left is an Expo member and was working that day on setting up a bat sensor that triggers on the acoustics of the bat's calls.

NKN_3956-1.jpg

Bats hunt insects by making ultrasonic calls and using the echo to find prey while in flight. 2010 research in Panama shows that bats can recognize the calls of particular bats, similar to how humans recognize voices of friends and family.

Each day breakfast was a huge treat!

NKN_3990-1.jpg

Hash browns!

NKN_3991-1.jpg

French toast!

IMG_4541-1.jpg

M.O.A.B.! (Mother Of All Bacon lodes :ylsmoke: )

IMG_4542-1.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Activities over the five days included:

Astronomy

NKN_4014-1.jpg

102 MPH Taters

IMG_4543-1.jpg

Hiking the local peaks

IMG_4563-1.jpg

Firearms proficiency practice

NKN_4011-1.jpg

567 yard steel plate

IMG_4570-1.jpg

As well as tall tale telling at the campfires, amateur radio comms, rockhounding and other harmless tomfoolery.

It was great to hang with my friends and meet the new generations of offspring too. Hope you like the short report!

Full report here: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2017/04/a-2017-desert-renewal.html

Last edited:

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
It is always nice to have a plethora of cool stuff to play with while out in the backcountry. Once upon a time I once did the same until my state decided to enact very strict environmental and gun related rules and laws that for me, have become so burdensome I am not as motivated these days.

Just last year I got hassled about not having a wilderness permit and photography permit... I did not appreciate being lectured/admonished by a 25 yr old "this is my forest 🌳 wilderness cop"

You have a very neat rig, and a good group to share with... That right there counts for a lot!

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride
It is always nice to have a plethora of cool stuff to play with while out in the backcountry. Once upon a time I once did the same until my state decided to enact very strict environmental and gun related rules and laws that for me, have become so burdensome I am not as motivated these days.

Just last year I got hassled about not having a wilderness permit and photography permit... I did not appreciate being lectured/admonished by a 25 yr old "this is my forest  wilderness cop"

You have a very neat rig, and a good group to share with... That right there counts for a lot!

Ummmm... the firearm restrictions are something I am familiar with - but what it the high holy **** is a photography permit?!?!?

teotwaki

Excelsior!

Just last year I got hassled about not having a wilderness permit and photography permit... I did not appreciate being lectured/admonished by a 25 yr old "this is my forest �� wilderness cop"

Thanks! I am lucky to have such excellent friends,

I know what you mean about the 20-somethings with the attitude of ownership when they should be thinking more along the lines of how to be a better public servant.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Ummmm... the firearm restrictions are something I am familiar with - but what it the high holy **** is a photography permit?!?!?

Here is a sample: https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/management/upload/2016-DEVA-FILMING-PERMIT-FILLABLE.pdf

Filming and Photography

“The service…shall promote and regulate the use of…national parks…[its] purpose is to conserve the scenery and the natural and historic objects and the wild life therein and to provide for the enjoyment of the same in such manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations.” (16 U.S.C. 1)
It is the policy of the National Park Service (NPS) to allow filming and photography when and where possible, while adhering to this mandate. Therefore, when reviewing filming applications, the primary concerns of the NPS are potential impacts to park resources and disruption of visitor use.
Filming/photography Permits are issued for photography, filming, and associated sound recording to ensure protection of resources, to prevent significant disruption of normal visitor uses, or when they involve props, models, professional crews and casts or set dressings. Permits are required for access to areas normally closed to the visiting public. Conditions for filming in X-X-X National Park are available here.

Generally, permits are NOT required for:

Visitors using cameras and/or recording devices for their own personal use.

Sound technicians, and film or video crews at breaking news events. In these cases, the superintendent will still be required to protect park resources and the rights and safety of park visitors. News media wishing access for entertainment or scheduled purposes may require a permit.

NPS filming or photography, Department of the Interior Audiovisual Center filming or filming/photography done pursuant to a cooperative agreement or contract.

A request for a filming or photography permit may be denied if:

In the opinion of the superintendent or his/her designee, the filming activity requested represents a potential for harm or impact on the park’s natural, cultural, wilderness or recreational resources, may create health or safety risks, or disrupt visitor use and enjoyment;

It is determined that supervisory requirements for the proposed project will place unreasonable burdens on park staff, regardless of the applicant’s willingness to pay supervisory costs

The permittee fails to obtain insurance/bonding, or does not agree to pay assessed cost recovery

The proposed filming or photography would conflict with the visitor’s normal use of the park

The request includes entry into areas closed to the general visiting public, or which would allow activities not permitted to the average visitor.

krick3tt

Adventurer
It appears that a permit might/is required to make a professional movie but not you or I taking pictures of cacti, birds or flowers.

A group I was with turned in young folks (twenty something) for chopping down trees in a NP for their green firewood gathering and disturbing other campers at 2 AM with their chopping and they were cited for 'Resource endangerment' by the ranger. They left large quantities of green boughs all over the campsite to provide evidence of their destruction of the surrounding flora. So it also annoys me that these self imposed 'forest police' have gotten the idea that they are the only ones able to determine misuse of our sacred environment.

I have recently purchased a propane fire can to not be involved in the possible destruction or the woods by an errant ember.

Safe travels

teotwaki

Excelsior!
It appears that a permit might/is required to make a professional movie but not you or I taking pictures of cacti, birds or flowers.

I agree but a lot of us have had run-ins with LEOS that issue incorrect citations and it is up to us to fight for dismissal in the courts. I've also had a least as many friendly LEOs let me off the hook so life can be interesting when you least expect it :sombrero:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94