Can the iPad really be used as an out-of-signal range, off-road GPS device?

TravelsWithRalph

Adventurer
I use an iPad that is paired, via bluetooth, to a Delorme InReach. I love the InReach's ability to send and receive messages. Also, the mapshare part lets my family track me. It's not cheap but piece of mind for me and the family makes it worth it.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
How is the delorme software for mapping? I was looking at switching to an ipad in my rigs, and use my iPhone on my motorcycles.

Dalko43

Explorer
How is the delorme software for mapping? I was looking at switching to an ipad in my rigs, and use my iPhone on my motorcycles.

Delorme is now owned by Garmin, though the former Delorme products (Inreach & Explorer) still use Delorme-based maps, not the Garmin ones. That might change soon, we'll have to wait and see. That said Delorme's digital maps (available with the Earthmate app) are among the best out there. The earthmate app (which is available free of charge with the purhcase of an Explorer) uses a bluetooth connection with the paired GPS unit to show your updated, and even moving, position on a map. It does not allow for turn-by-turn navigation, but it does allow for route and waypoint marking, tracking, speed, elevation, heading, ect. You also get weather updates and obviously texting & SOS capabilities with the Explorer. It doesn't get the same recognition as some of the other navigation apps out there, and for that reason I think it's highly underrated. Garmin now owns Delorme, so if Garmin would just find a way to integrate their own maps (not that Delorme's maps are bad) and add a Google-style navigation feature the Earthmate app would be truly one of the best out there.

As for the OP's main question, I've used the built-in GPS signals for ipads and iphones before. They work, but I wouldn't rely on them for remote navigation, especially in areas with heavy tree canopies. I know other people have had no issues with them, but I'd rather have a dedicated GPS unit for remote travel. my 2 cents anyways...

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The other thing I find with ipads vs. cheap android tablets is that ipads do not detect the cheap OBD readers, GPS unit etc. Where as the cheap android tablets pick it all up. I do own both an ipad and a cheap android tablet, and the android wins hands down for expo duties. Plus you can install SD cards to expand your mapping and routing saves. Another thing you cannot do with the ipad.

dirtlimo

Observer
A general question as I am trying to figure out my issue…..with the GPS :)
I have a TabS2 and it does not render graphics anywhere near fast enough while driving. Even in 4LOW.
So my question is, is the device the issue? Or do I need a dedicated GPS device (BADELF) to assist this thing.
Went on a trip to Utah and just stopped using it as it was way too slow, used the IPhone6 the rest of way. This was hard to read while driving, and not super fast either but usable.
Cheers!

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
Android tablet or I-Pad for GPS; who cares what one uses, as long as it works!

The other thing I find with ipads vs. cheap android tablets is that ipads do not detect the cheap OBD readers, GPS unit etc. Where as the cheap android tablets pick it all up. I do own both an ipad and a cheap android tablet, and the android wins hands down for expo duties. Plus you can install SD cards to expand your mapping and routing saves. Another thing you cannot do with the ipad.
  • I just got back from a trip, where I used my cheap android tablet, a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 (8 inch), and Google Maps as a replacement for my old Tom Tom 1. The tablet i Wi-Fi only (I told you it was cheap), but has full GPS and Glonass capability. I have other map apps loaded on it, and saved many maps for off-line usage on the 128GB sd card. But, just as a test, I only used Google Maps on this trip.
  • Using my PC at home, I let the app choose my route, then made changes to it, and it was sent to both my cellphone and tablet via Google automatically (good to have it on my phone, in case the tablet failed). When I was on the trip, I threw in multiple changes and mis-directions to the route, by taking a different turn, side-tripping off-route, and just trying to confuse it. It would quickly re-route, and update everytime, without any external input (no cellular or Wi-Fi connections). I had tried those type of maneuvers using the Tom Tom, and also using AT & T Navigator, previously, and they never adjusted correctly to the changes.
  • I suppose a modern GPS unit, like my wife's new(er) Garmin, would perform as well or perhaps better, but using a $100 all-purpose android tablet, and free apps, I think it is a winner. If you can't use an I=Pad to the same effect, then go with a cheap android tablet; if it works just for mapping, for almost free, why not? P.S. I also used my Torque Pro android app to monitor my truck (I had just received, and cleared, an O2 sensor code, and I wanted to see if the sensor was working correctly -it was-); it ran on in the background, while I monitored the maps, or vice-versa. Switching between the apps was easy, with no loss of data on either.
  • 8 inch tablet on modified camera mount.jpg $100 Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 (8 inch) on $20 mount; it works great

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
Google Maps works better offline than this website(at least for me)

How did you use google mapping off line? what did you have to do to make it run?
Just open one of the attachments...Expo is giving me fits again...can't use my PC wi-fi, even using false ISP or VPN, or TOR. All attempts to posting is blocked. This is my tenth attempt to respond, using my crummy cellphone. I'm tired of typing the same response over and over, so thats why I made it into TXT , PDF, and Word attachments.

Attachments

• Google Maps offline.docx
    12.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Google Maps offline.pdf
    140.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Google Maps offline.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 9

whitenoise

Adventurer
I am an Android user/die-hard fan since version 1.6 (circa 2009 I think) and can't recommend it highly enough for everyday use. I have owned nearly every pure android phone worth having, and at least 3 high-end android tablets. I also have fair experience with the cheaper android tablets like the ASUS and Micro-Center 7" specials, and they work really well for mom/dad/MIL duty AKA light usage.

However, for this specific application I feel that the iPad is the better choice if you can afford to spend the money. The main reason is that the hardware is rugged, super-reliable and much better integrated with its OS than nearly every Android tablet I can think of out there. Every iPad gets updated to the latest OS (except the original iPad so far), android tablets don't. This is fine for a phone that gets used everyday because it typically gets replaced after 2-3 years. But for a remote location navigation device that gets used infrequently and on which your life may very well depend, an apple device is simply a better value. From first-hand observation, the average iPad will continue working better after 6+ years than even a high-end android tablet. You do the math on the life-cycle costs....

Many people seem to prefer the iPad mini because of size, but I chose the Air2 (now its called just the iPad, I think) because it has a faster processor, and a bigger screen is always a boon and rarely a liability (esp inside a vehicle). The cellular model that comes with inbuilt GPS and highest available storage is really the way to go, though it is more expensive. The last thing you want is lack of space for maps at the highest available resolution, and maps CAN fill up 128GB if you really want everything for a particular region. When I go overseas it is one extra SIM card to buy but it really is worth it for a seamless user experience. My typical nav/tracking setup is as follows, YMMV:

cellular iPad with google maps navigation for on-road nav. Screen off for best battery life - maps will still speak turn-by-turn directions.
pair with delorme inreach and switch to gaia gps in airplane mode when outside cell range (saves a ton of battery life).
android phone for backup using gaia or delorme software
torque pro and all other android-exclusive apps (there aren't many) running on phone if necessary.

mtbdemon

Hello,
I will be buying a new (Latest Gen) Ipad, becasue I need one and want a better GPS for offroading-So, two questions. With the Ipad, do you experience lose of signal much being inside a vehicle? Two-What mount do you use for ease of viewing and use. Thanks!!

ken

shade

Hello,
I will be buying a new (Latest Gen) Ipad, becasue I need one and want a better GPS for offroading-So, two questions. With the Ipad, do you experience lose of signal much being inside a vehicle? Two-What mount do you use for ease of viewing and use. Thanks!!

ken
I use an Android tablet with Gaia, so I can't help much with an iPad recommendation. For the second question, I use a RAM X-Grip mount anchored to my truck's dash with a bracket made for the 2nd gen Toyota Tacoma. It's quite solid, and vibration hasn't been an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles