Insights into registering FJ75 from South Africa in California

j_hare

Hi All,

I will be traveling to South Africa for work and I'll be buying a 1987 Land Cruiser FJ75 with a ADE 236, 4 liter diesel engine to travel for my job. I'd love to import this vehicle into the US and register it in California, where I'm a resident.

As far as I can tell from the DMV website, any international diesel car from 1979+ must pass California emissions test in order to be registered. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that has experience registering NON-USA or grey market vehicles in California, or other states (I'm not opposed to registering it in Oregon where I have family members that can help me), who can confirm or deny the 1979+ emissions requirement. And if you do have experience in this respect I'd appreciate any advice/comments.

Thanks!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Oregon will for sure be easier, and it's my understanding that as long as it's 25 years old to the month of manufacture, you should be ok to bring it in. If the engine is not original (doesn't sound like it is), then if it is from a newer year, that is ok as well. There are a couple of Land Cruiser specialty guys in Oregon who may be able to help if you track them down via google-****.

j_hare

The DMV website is semi-clear on this 25 years old thing, I've also read that a diesel vehicle 25 years or older doesn't need a smog check, but else where it says non-usa vehicles 1979 and newer need a smog check. The earlier FJ75s came with the ADE 236 engines, I'm almost certain it's an original engine (waiting to hear back from current owner).

Oregon will for sure be easier, and it's my understanding that as long as it's 25 years old to the month of manufacture, you should be ok to bring it in. If the engine is not original (doesn't sound like it is), then if it is from a newer year, that is ok as well. There are a couple of Land Cruiser specialty guys in Oregon who may be able to help if you track them down via google-****.
The engine is original, the Atlantis 236 diesel engine is a licence-built Perkins 4.236, which was factory installed in South African built LCs of that period. Even though it is naturally aspirated, it will be a torque monster at low rpms but tops out at 2800 rpm. I hope it has a 5spd, and I would look for some 8.25R16s (34") to put on the wheels.
I had a 4.236 in a FJ45 for years with a New Process 540 5 spd. It was hard on motor mounts due to vibration. I would love to see pictures of the motor mount system - maybe 2 in the front, 1 under the trans? -better with high vibration 4 cyls than 4 for engine.

I think the Oregon option is better, but I haven't lived in California since 1977.

Charlie

Charlie

Last edited:

Dusty Grin

Observer
I am currently still trying to register a 1990 1HZ troop carrier. I used an importer and it has still been a pain. The DMV people seem to contradict each other as to what I need. I did need to have it pass emissions which it did. Then I needed a customs stamp and signature but there is debate whether I need that. Also the proof of ownership is just registration at least in Australia. DMV near my house would not except that they have sent it to the headquarters in Salem for review.
Keep in mind I hired austousa to import this for me and it's been almost 11 months and I still do not have plates. Six months for shipping because of red flags in the cargo container, and five months of waiting for my paperwork to be correct .
So Oregon maybe easier, but importing vehicle is not for the faint of heart.

Andy

j_hare

After doing some more research and calling DMV it seems like I'll have to have it pass a smog test (anything 1980 or newer diesel engines must be tested), and I spoke with someone at the CA air resource board who said that it'd have to be checked out by their grey market lab (who I'm having a hard time getting in contact with). So, Andy, I'm just starting to feel some of your pain and I don't even have the vehicle in the state. Andy (or anyone else), I know your troop carrier has a different engine than mine, but what do you think about my ADE 236 meeting Oregon (/CA) smog standards?

Charlie--I can let you know about the motor mounts when I'm in South Africa in May.

eco 45

Supporting Sponsor
Andy (or anyone else), I know your troop carrier has a different engine than mine, but what do you think about my ADE 236 meeting Oregon (/CA) smog standards?

Oregon would be the answer if you really want to import this truck back to the US. California has a lot of strange issues and they changes randomly depending on who you talk to. And if your truck is blowing a little extra smoke there are plenty of counties that don't have smog in Oregon. I have imported several trucks from SA to Oregon with no issue.

Dusty Grin

Observer
J_Hare, I cannot speak to that engine in particular. But I will say that my 1HZ passed Portland Oregon emissions easily. Your engine sounds very interesting though, I like it.

Andy

j_hare

Thanks, eco 45, for the info, that's super reassuring; I sent you a PM and I'd love to chat with you about importing from South Africa.

Toylandcruiser--would it just be a J75?

Update: I spoke with CA DMV again, turns out that since it has more than 7500 miles, the vehicle only needs to meet US emissions standards. CA DMV told me that all I need is a letter from the manufacture stating that the vehicle with X vin meets US emissions standards. I tried to call Toyota in the US, but they couldn't help me and directed me to South Africa Toyota (although I can't seem to believe that South Africa Toyota will know whether or not their vehicles meet US emissions standards, why would they?).

Anyone have experience getting this letter from Toyota for a Land Cruiser with a South African vin?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Thanks, eco 45, for the info, that's super reassuring; I sent you a PM and I'd love to chat with you about importing from South Africa.

Toylandcruiser--would it just be a J75?

Update: I spoke with CA DMV again, turns out that since it has more than 7500 miles, the vehicle only needs to meet US emissions standards. CA DMV told me that all I need is a letter from the manufacture stating that the vehicle with X vin meets US emissions standards. I tried to call Toyota in the US, but they couldn't help me and directed me to South Africa Toyota (although I can't seem to believe that South Africa Toyota will know whether or not their vehicles meet US emissions standards, why would they?).

Anyone have experience getting this letter from Toyota for a Land Cruiser with a South African vin?

Depends on the engine. It could be an hj or hzj

doug720

Expedition Leader
FYI - You will never get the emissions letter from Toyota!

Toyota USA can not give the letter as they did not sell the vehicle, and Toyota SA would have no way of knowing about US emissions as you noted. In addition, and the main reason Toyota will never give an emissions letter...This is a "Grey Market" vehicle to Toyota USA, and they will not support it's import or use in the US.

There are ways to import as you know. The out of CA registration after initial import is the best way. Check AZ, as they will do all the paperwork and send renewals via US Mail to out of state addresses! Plus, AZ registration is cheap!

Good luck

Cruiser 45

The ADE 236 was a Perkins 236 made under licence in South Africa. In South Africa it was used in tractors: MF, Landini, Ford 6610. Trucks: Mitsubishi Canter, Land Rover 3S, Land Cruiser Hj75

Cruiser 45

I have read that the Perkins 236 diesel engine was an option in the 1969 Checker Marathon. If this is true then the engine was available in the USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior