37" singles and rancho shocks for canter

Daz b

G'day all I've got a 2000 canter twin cab 4.2 non turbo and it's time for new tyres I need to go 37" for the load rating but will it drag to much out of the old girl if anyone has the same set up could you let me know how it go,s when loaded also does anyone have the model number for rancho shocks to suit any help would be much appreciated cheers Darren

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I don't believe you need to go to 37' tyres to get your load rating. 2000 Canter I believe is FG637 and gross at 5,500Kgs. 315/75x16" 127Q rated will get you there and is smaller diameter so easier to pull. Then save for a Turbo and make a new vehicle out of it.

Dan.

Daz b

Thanks Dan for some reason I had 6000 kg in my head I'll put the camper on the back and take it to the weigh bridge if all go,s well I'll be down to Alan next week cheers Darren

javajoe79

Fabricator
I am also interested in the rancho shocks. I have been considering some fox or king shocks but something cheaper and more readily available would be nice.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I am also interested in the rancho shocks. I have been considering some fox or king shocks but something cheaper and more readily available would be nice.

If you go back to one of my first threads where I was building up my Canter the Numbers will be there for Rancho 9000's. These though are for resprung axles and take into account the extra lift (at least 50mm) that we put in. I would believe that they would suit standard suspension as closed distance is the same as standard Shocks.

Dan.

javajoe79

Fabricator
If you go back to one of my first threads where I was building up my Canter the Numbers will be there for Rancho 9000's. These though are for resprung axles and take into account the extra lift (at least 50mm) that we put in. I would believe that they would suit standard suspension as closed distance is the same as standard Shocks.

Dan.

I found it in another thread. Hard to believe they work so good but the feedback from people running them seems unanimous. I even called Rancho and they said not to run them. Haha! They referred me to a place in Colorado called A1 Shocks. They modify several different brands for all sorts of applications. I'm waiting to hear back about custom rear coils and shocks all around. The price of the Ranchos is hard to beat though. I priced some King adjustable shocks and they want $500 each! Ranchos are $100 each. Seems like at the very least it's worth trying the Ranchos.
Also on my NPR the front upper shock mount is pretty flimsy. I can flex it a bit by grabbing it and shaking. That's not a good mount. I think it at least needs to be braced across to the other shock mount. Are fusos the same?

Daz b

Thank Dan I'll track some down the springs can wait till latter I'm off to WA the 3 months no hills over there so the turbo can wait as well. It will give me something to do when I get back cheers Darren

skippythedog

Observer
Here's a little excerpt from one of my posts....easy enough to cross reference the part # of a stock unit at the dealer to see if your model year matches the parameters of the ones I've listed here. If these Ranchos fit your year in stock mode, then it's a simple matter to consult Rancho etc. to get the next longer size etc.....

I just acquired a 2007 fg140. I found a thread on this site where a fellow had installed Rancho 9000's on his 2003....so I know they fit 03-07. I installed them in conjunction with the Timbren bump stops on the front and was very pleased with the results. The jolts from expansion joints/sudden dips etc. are greatly reduced. I ran them initially on the lowest setting which did not provide enough rebound damping. Then I cranked them to midpoint and the ride was nearly as severe as w/ the stock parts. (This was unladen at 8600lbs)....I finally settled on setting #2 (of 9) on front and rear. Obviously, there's plenty of room left for adjustment. The part #s are: 999117 (fr) and 999113 (rear). The Timbrens increase the distance substantially between the stop and frame. You can score the shocks on Amazon for $89-$110 each. Timbrens run about $200 on the net. The Timbren rear set is $400 and I'm tempted to try that but have not found an opinion from someone who's tried them. Try sticking your hand between your bump stop and frame...bet it won't fit in there with the stock stops....that's what you're hitting. Then your worn shocks are letting the springs catapult you into the air... I believe the perfect FG shock would have adjustable compression and rebound damping. Every situation is different. I run Bilsteins on my 5.7 Tundra and have run Bilsteins, KYBs and Rancho 5000's in the past on Dodge diesels...The Bilsteins always seemed a bit too stiff on compression while the Rancho's were very progressive and comfortable. (Body roll was fine as I install sway bars on everything I own. I'm exploring that now for the FG. I think a sway bar would benefit a heavily laden camper FG too. I really think Rancho's really got their valving down and I'm pretty sure I'm going to fit their stuff to anything I get in the future.

skippythedog

Observer
A set of the Rancho 9000s didn't last 12 mos/15k miles on my 2007 FG with no load on it (steel flatbed however) at 9950lbs..... A rear leaked oil. The fronts no longer dampen. Monroe/Gabriel no longer has a listing. I can't make heads or tails of the Bilstein application after reading the gibberish about them on the forum here.......currently pursuing a rumor about Sachs shocks for the FG, though there is no apparent listing on their German site....

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I'm still running my original Ranchos' and they are going well.They have done lots and lots of corrugations and not a problem.

Dan.

Witchdoctor Oz

Adventurer
Have a look at Oztec shocks, engineered in Australia & a lifetime warranty. GSA are the guys to talk to & the technical man is Jamie

Cheers
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94