Bed liner on plywood?

malibubts

Adventurer
I'm working on a gear platform/level floor for the rear of my truck cab and debating on how I want to finish it. Looking at doing either carpet or just a roll on bed liner.

I think the bed liner would be easier to get completed and in my case might look better. For those that have used bed liner on plywood how is it holding up? Are you happy with the results?

I'm also open to any other finishing suggestions if someone has something that might work better. About the only thing is I want it to be black to match the carpet as best as it can.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Depends on the bedliner. In my EMS days, we had some fly cars with shelving and cabinets in the cargo area covered with Line-X which held up great. Based on my own experience with Rustoleum spray bedliner and Herculiner, I'm not sure I'd use either of those on anything ever again.

eatSleepWoof2

Depends on the bedliner. In my EMS days, we had some fly cars with shelving and cabinets in the cargo area covered with Line-X which held up great. Based on my own experience with Rustoleum spray bedliner and Herculiner, I'm not sure I'd use either of those on anything ever again.

I've used both of those, too. Rustoleum didn't give the durable finish that I was looking for. Herculiner adhered very well and was very tough, but it was very difficult to get the clean, consistent texture that is advertised and that I was looking for. Many people have had better results than me, though.

Carpet is super easy to work with. Just cut, fold, spray on glue, and staple. Looks great, too.

tarditi

Explorer
I used herculiner on my plywood trailer lid - adhered great, but in some areas that I drilled after lining, water got in and delaminated the wood a bit.

Not sure I would do it the same way again.

MNCarl

The Moose
I was wondering the same thing (bed liner on plywood)...after I refurbished my upper control arms from my truck , On the Upper control arms I sanded off all the rust then spray painted the UCA's with a spray can Rustoleum bed liner.
When I sprayed the UCA's with the rustoleum, bed liner , I had them on an old piece of plywood and there was plenty of rustoleum bedliner overspray on the plywood , after about a week I looked at the piece of plywood with the bedliner sprayed on it and it looked great , I even grabbed an old screw driver and tried piercing the surface and scratching it and I was impressed , the screw driver just bounced right off.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Check out the product called "StyroSpray" - even though that is the name it can be used on wood (anything slightly porous) and can be brush applied with a smooth, easy to clean appearance. They will send you two samples if you contact them - one is on white bead type foam and the other is on plywood - both brush applied. Pretty impressive stuff - its a two part mix material.

www.industrialpolymers.com/products/styrospray-series

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
The Rust-O-Leum bed liner is fine on plywood if applied properly. Make sure plywood is clean and dry, scuff sand lightly with something like 60-grit on a random orbit sander, dust off thoroughly. Apply the coating with a roller, two coats with the second one just before the first coat has gone completely dry. The formula you can get in OH is probably better than the crap we have to use in CA, so it would help to thin the first coat a little with an appropriate solvent to help penetration and bonding. Do both sides and all edges of the sheet because if you don't, the sheet will absorb moisture wherever it is not sealed. Use real plywood with exterior glue, not OSB.

malibubts

Adventurer
Thanks everyone!

Yeah I'm sure LineX would hold up great, but I'm sure it's not worth it on this project. I only spent around $10 on the sheet of ply and a few hours of my time.

I was looking to go roll on to not have to mess with the compressor (I could probably borrow one, but don't have my own) and figured it'd be tougher than the rattle can version. I've seen Herculiner get good reviews as well Raptor. Raptor also just came out with a roll on kit and is actually cheaper.

The platform won't have to face any water as it'll stay in the truck or under the shell if I need to take it out, just things sliding on it and knocking into it. I'm really just hoping to get a tougher surface so I don't destroy the wood and the black color to match the carpet.

A bit of texture wouldn't be bad either seeing as my dog will walk around on it quite a bit and hopefully keep things in place. I've seen some of the texture comparisons from Raptor and I'm not too worried there.

I'll take a look into the Styro-spray.

Some good application tips as well. I'm already using 1/2" 5 ply so I should be set there. I planned on sanding, but didn't think about using 60-grit.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The stryo spray has a very smooth finish - not ideal for keeping a dog from sliding around but is nice from a cleaning perspective.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I've had great luck with Behr DeckOver from Home Depot. Stuff seems crazy tuff and never got damaged in my JKU. I don't think any abuse that will occur inside a vehicle will damage the stuff.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I used Behr Deckover on a project last spring, and I hated it. Big PITA to mix and apply, and I don't think the bond is as good as with bed liner. But lots of colors to choose from. Olympic has a similar product, but I have not used that.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I used Behr Deckover on a project last spring, and I hated it. Big PITA to mix and apply, and I don't think the bond is as good as with bed liner. But lots of colors to choose from. Olympic has a similar product, but I have not used that.

I've never mixed the stuff, picked it up where they mixed it and went home to apply. I also don't think it's hard to apply, just get cheap rollers and realize your trashing them when your done. As for the bonding, I can't comment, I've never had it lift, chip or flake. Did you prep the surface first, I'm sure you did. Just never had the problem.

I will say they have 2 versions, one rougher than the other. I've used both, and prefer the less rough version for storage boxes.

wjeeper

I have used raptor liner on top of plywood on a few projects now. The trick to adhesion is coating all the plywood with fiberglass resin first. Once the resin is down hit it really fast with some 80 grit and spray it on.

I have used Hurculiner before...........biggest mistake I ever made. The texture was rough enough to skin knuckles, the adhesion was not that great, the texture held dirt, faded in the sun and it was impossible to clean.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I used herculiner on my plywood trailer lid - adhered great, but in some areas that I drilled after lining, water got in and delaminated the wood a bit.

Not sure I would do it the same way again.

Drill a little oversized, then go back with sealer, clear coat or krazyglue and a Q-Tip and seal the wood in the drilled hole. That or silicone on the part or bolt that the hole is for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94