Problems installing Swayaway torsion bar in flippac

MtnTaco

I have almost successfully replaced the failed torsion bar in my 2012 flippac, following the instructions in this thread from Expedition portal:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/3702-Flip-pac-camper-build/page9?highlight=torsion

I have the new torsion bar installed through both passenger and driver's side spline inserts, but progress is painfully slow. The instructions say to 'tap it' in place by hitting in the center of the end of the torsion bar. I have been using a steel punch inserted into the indentation in the end of the torsion bar to keep my strikes centered and avoid damaging the splines on the end of the torsion bar.

The bar probably moves about 1/32" for every 100 hammer blows. I have hit it so many times that I have mushroomed the end of the punch. I have about 5/16" to go before the bar is far enough out the driver's side fitting and my arm is ready to fall off.

Has anyone else had this experience?

WOODY2

Adventurer
Has anyone contacted Swayaway and let them know of the issue? It just may help on subsequent batches?

MtnTaco

I just had a long conversation with Brian at Swayaway. He told me that out of 60 replacement torsion bars they have sold so far that only one other person had a similar problem to mine. It turns out his old torsion bar broke at the spline, damaging the female splines inside the bracket on the flip pack. Brian told me that the torsion bar is not a press fit and should not need the kind of hammering I have had to do. He said it is likely that there is damage to the female splines or rust or some other debris keeping it from moving easily. He said it should slide in.
My torsion bar broke about an inch away from the spline on the passenger side. I did look at the splines before starting to install the replacement bar, but I did not inspect them closely. Brian said the clearance is only a few thousandths of an inch, so even a little rust could make it hard to pound in. I am now facing the prospect of pounding the bar back out, filing the female splines clean, and repeating the install process. Sucks, but what else can I do?

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
I didn't have that much issue with the new, but did the old. I used a 2 prong puller to push the bar in and out respectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOODY2

Adventurer
Realizing I may be late to the party but use of PB Blaster or similar (negating the need for disassembly) certainly wouldn't hurt

Doc187

Observer
I would bet that a lot of those 60 replacement bars were bought by people like myself with a working torsion bar that want a backup in the truck so they have not been installed.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I would bet that a lot of those 60 replacement bars were bought by people like myself with a working torsion bar that want a backup in the truck so they have not been installed.
You must have been watching me :victory:

Series1Rangie

Adventurer

I would not want to try this as a trail repair. It would be doable with tools most of us carry in our trucks but man. Now I bought my flippac with the new torsion bar uninstalled and a torsion delete mod done. So I may be biased as using the 2 poles to finish a trip seems fine. Having the torsion bar is much better for the record.

Sounda like a trial fit and some slight filing/cleanup for sure on the old spline cut-outs in the hinges for sure... I just bought one and will to replace one here shortly... I will soon see it it "slides in" or not :Wow1:

Speaking of all this... on a FlipPack I just bought it came with NO torsion bar and NO hardware... is there a drawing somewhere of the bushings/parts I will need to come up with to finish this job?

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
Speaking of all this... on a FlipPack I just bought it came with NO torsion bar and NO hardware... is there a drawing somewhere of the bushings/parts I will need to come up with to finish this job?

There is a thread below with flippac parts sources. There is a user that may be making some from stainless steel.

So.... the torsion bar I just got is not going to "slide in"... gonna take some whacking. I will make a call to SwayAway before commencing with hammering... :-(

Spline profile on FLipPac vs Sway-A-Way torsion bar

OKie Dokie...

I took some very close up photos of the Sway-A-Way (SAW) bar, the original bar (on my functional FlipPac) and of the SAW bar lined up trying to go into my broken FlipPac. The tooth profiles on the spline looks pretty different... I'm thinking I'd need to spend a LOT of filing time to get this to work, and then I'm not convinced it would be a safe fit... take a look.

Orig_vs_Sway_x2500.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles