Problems installing Swayaway torsion bar in flippac

Sway-A-Way is taking a look at this situation.... apparently there are more than likely TWO types of splines out there... I'm sending them a hinge - may take a bit to get sorted out... I also asked if they might entertain the idea of making hinge sets to go with the bars. IMO, after seeing where the hinge failures occur, they, or someone could easily beef up the design a bit and still fit the stock slots into the shell.

homemade

Adventurer
FWIW

This prompted me to take a look at the SAW bar that I bought and the original which still works well on mine built in '12. The ends of both the SAW and the original look identical. The crank lever fits snugly and seems to be perfectly on the SAW bar. Does your crank lever fit on the SAW bar?

austintaco

Explorer
I started a thread a few years ago for people to document their torsion bar failures or successes to try and figure out which batch of torsion bars were better than others. This is good info to add to the mix. I'll have to check my SAW bar that is still in the box and compare it to the bar on my Flippac

FWIW

This prompted me to take a look at the SAW bar that I bought and the original which still works well on mine built in '12. The ends of both the SAW and the original look identical. The crank lever fits snugly and seems to be perfectly on the SAW bar. Does your crank lever fit on the SAW bar?

No,.... the SAW torsion bar does not fit my crank arm :-(

austintaco

Explorer
No,.... the SAW torsion bar does not fit my crank arm :-(
Did your crank arm slide on at all or did it stop and not fully seat? I tried my crank arm on my uninstalled SAW bar and it engaged, but barely. I would have thought it would slide on as much as the original. I'll postpone the install until this is resolved. Thank you for posting

Did your crank arm slide on at all or did it stop and not fully seat? I tried my crank arm on my uninstalled SAW bar and it engaged, but barely. I would have thought it would slide on as much as the original. I'll postpone the install until this is resolved. Thank you for posting

It did not slide on at all.... I am working with SAW and they are re-cutting the splines (I sent them one of my hinges). Stay tuned... SAW may release a full hinge/bar/bushing kit ;-)

tacollie

Glamper
I bet there were some inconsistencies from FRP. My last torsion bar from FRP took forever to install. Luckily it wasn't on the truck at the time. It was like hammering a square into a circle. My SAW torsion bar is setting in the basement waiting for the FRP bar to snap.

I just rec'd my torsion bar back from SAW... they re-cut the splines just a bit... now slides on like a charm... maybe even too easily!?

Last edited:

beersmuggler

CactusJackSlade how's the re-cut SAW bar working?
My OG FRP torsion bar and the SAW bar have different splines like your side by side pic.
I have 2000 FRP and the crank arm doesn't even slide on the SAW bar a bit.

CactusJackSlade how's the re-cut SAW bar working?
My OG FRP torsion bar and the SAW bar have different splines like your side by side pic.
I have 2000 FRP and the crank arm doesn't even slide on the SAW bar a bit.

Sorry, just seeing this.

The low down - looks like the original splines on the FlipPacs are all the SAME... earlier I eluded to the notion that there may be two different types - not the case, it is simply a question of tolerances.

The SAW torsion bar DOES have a slightly different type of spline cut, but when the tolerances are correct, not a problem sliding on.

I have not installed mine yet, I'm awaiting some new, beefier hinges to be cut... stay tuned :)

Last edited:

tacoluv

Observer
SAW torsion bar

I think I received the first bar made by SAW. It was a little tight fit, but it was so pretty painted red and all I knew it would work. My first replacement bar from FRP looked like something from a Russian steel works (lasted about four cycles) , visually the diameter was variable over the bars length. Again, I have to say I love my Flippac and I have a constant internal conflict about upgrading for more convenient camping, but nothing can do the trails like my Tacoma/Flippac.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles