so basically... 3/4 ton/1 ton heavier camper

CarolynJune

You might want to check out my friend's, The Landmarks, blog. They're doing the exact same thing, home-schooling junior while traveling full-time in their 1-ton Dodge Ram dually camper. He did end up with airbags and is very happy with them after a bit of tweaking with the pressure.

https://www.thelandmarks.us/

We're building a similar truck, though ours will be converted to a flatbed, setup for offroading and carry an XPCamper.

Awesome. Thank you! I'll check it out!

CarolynJune

This sounds like an awesome idea! I bet your kids are going to have a blast and it's big of you to take on the task of educating them. They will do great! As for the camper, the bigger heavier logic you mentioned in the original post makes more sense now. The dually sounds like a great idea given the magnitude of the project. Take a look at the Lance Owners Forum, they are a great bunch of people and have lots of insight too.

Thanks. I already homeschool my 13 year old. Taking on my 9 year old will be a breeze. I'm sure all newbies feel the same excitement I'm feeling right now! We are more than ready to get out and adventure!!!

CarolynJune

I can't thank you all enough for thoughts, opinions, questions, etc. They've all made me think and consider my options. Tomorrow my boys and I are going to be looking at truck campers. The place we're going has the one I think I want (Legend 990) as well as 20-something others. And, thanks to all the great advise you all have given, if I do end up with that one, or something similar, I will absolutely look for a 1 ton dually and consider air bags sooner rather than later.

Frostymug

Observer
Trailer?

Have you considered a trailer? If you are mostly on pavement or easy dirt roads a trailer provides many advantages over a truck camper. Much more usable space for less money. Opens up many tow vehicle options depending on trailer size, don't necessarily need a 1-ton truck. Can leave trailer in camp and use the tow vehicle for excursions without having to breakdown camp every time you want / need to go somewhere.

Cliff

haven

Expedition Leader
Always buy a truck that is designed to carry your load. Adding overload springs or airbags to a lightweight truck is asking for trouble. A 3/4 or 1 ton model will have a beefier frame, stronger running gear, better driveline, better brakes, and so on.

Of course, the HD truck will ride like it has stone wheels when you take the load off the bed. That's the tradeoff.

CarolynJune

Have you considered a trailer? If you are mostly on pavement or easy dirt roads a trailer provides many advantages over a truck camper. Much more usable space for less money. Opens up many tow vehicle options depending on trailer size, don't necessarily need a 1-ton truck. Can leave trailer in camp and use the tow vehicle for excursions without having to breakdown camp every time you want / need to go somewhere.

Cliff

I considered a trailer for a half a moment and then realized that the one thing I know for sure I do NOT want to do is tow something. Maybe in the future I'd consider it. That's only if I can get over my fear of not turning correctly and hitting something, or getting too close to the cliff side of a narrow road (coming North from South Lake Tahoe to Emerald Bay, for example) and catching a tire on the edge and plummeting down the side, etc. For now, I'm sticking with one unit.

Lance990

Observer
The bad news is that all trucks struggle in the Rockies with a load. Even the diesels slow down, but not as much as the gassers. I've driven up and down through Eisenhower Tunnel enough times to know there is little you can do to maintain speed.

I've got a 1997 F350 DRW with the 7.5L (Banks full kit) and a 1998 Lance Legend 990. My truck and camper are so well-matched that it's ridiculous. My camper floor length is 11' 3" and I have 40 gallons of fresh water (plus 6 gallons in the water heater), 26 gallons of black tank capacity and and 22 gallons of gray tank capacity. The max payload on my truck is 4,587 lbs and my camper weighs 3,800 lbs wet weight. I have a front hitch, a gooseneck hitch and Class V hitch in the rear that soak up some of that payload capacity along with 37 gallons of fuel and my 240 lbs self. When I weigh my truck and camper fully loaded, it scales at EXACTLY 10,000 lbs. I know, ridiculous, right? I have the factory camper package, too.

Short answer: Get the DRW 1-ton and you will be glad you did. I had to make an evasive maneuver at 65 mph on a dark 3 lane interstate one night to dodge a jettisoned load of logs right in the middle of the road. The truck leaned and the tires squealed but I never felt like I was going to tip over or lose control. The extra stability could save your life some day.

TruckandCamperProfile.jpg

ScaleTicket.jpg

Last edited:

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Carolyn,
A few things to think about.
1. Be sure to drive any new-to-you rig for at least 1/2 an hour; pull over to the curb; pull into a gas station; park in a regular parking spot in a crowded lot. If you haven't hit anything, or scraped the air conditioning unit off the roof, you are good to go. Go through the motions on every single move you would make using a truck camper including sitting on the pot; using the shower wand (interior and exterior); seating arrangement for gathering around the dinette for a meal or schooling; sleeping arrangements for each regular occupant; lighting the hot water heater; selecting the correct fridge setting (12vDC; 120vAC; propane);where do the pots and pans go; drop and inspect the spare tire; pull down and pull up the stairs; where do you add propane?; where do you store everything you anticipate taking?
2. The Lance 990 is only for a long bed. Just know that a true 4-door truck with an 8 foot bed can be 22-24 feet long, too long for a standard car parking lot.
3. The longer your trip or living experience happens to be, the larger and more fully equipped you want it.
4. Look around for a buy on a truck and camper combo that is already assembled. There are many old timers getting out of the TC business and don't need the truck either. I live in No Cal and see the combos for sale all the time.
5. If you buy PP used, take a TC or RV guru along with you to inspect the rig and help you negotiate a lower price.
6. It's almost impossible to buy 'too much truck' when looking at any but the lightest camper. Dual rear wheels are more security but those 'hips' are tougher to wrangle when parking in tight quarters. For most people there is a 'period of adjustment'
7. It's easy to buy 'too much camper' for the truck, any truck.
8. If you plan on a moderate or lower amount of yearly mileage, a gas engine would be fine. If you plan on driving the TC more than 150K miles, total, then a diesel will finally payoff for the long haul.
9. Get your 'mirror technique' up to snuff.
just some things to think about.
jefe
Here is our 19 year old Lance Lite 165-s, short bed, bare bones, off-road equipped, 1842 pounds wet camper last week in Death Valley. It is just fine for TWO people once you learn the, "TC ballet" passing anyone in the aisle way. It's the shortest/lightest/least tall camper that Lance made at the time. The rig is 20 feet long and parks in any parking place. I include this as a foil on the other end of the TC scale.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Carolyn,
A few things to think about.
1. Be sure to drive any new-to-you rig for at least 1/2 an hour; pull over to the curb; pull into a gas station; park in a regular parking spot in a crowded lot. If you haven't hit anything, or scraped the air conditioning unit off the roof, you are good to go. Go through the motions on every single move you would make using a truck camper including sitting on the pot; using the shower wand (interior and exterior); seating arrangement for gathering around the dinette for a meal or schooling; sleeping arrangements for each regular occupant; lighting the hot water heater; selecting the correct fridge setting (12vDC; 120vAC; propane);where do the pots and pans go; drop and inspect the spare tire; pull down and pull up the stairs; where do you add propane?; where do you store everything you anticipate taking?
2. The Lance 990 is only for a long bed. Just know that a true 4-door truck with an 8 foot bed can be 22-24 feet long, too long for a standard car parking lot.
3. The longer your trip or living experience happens to be, the larger and more fully equipped you want it.
4. Look around for a buy on a truck and camper combo that is already assembled. There are many old timers getting out of the TC business and don't need the truck either. I live in No Cal and see the combos for sale all the time.
5. If you buy PP used, take a TC or RV guru along with you to inspect the rig and help you negotiate a lower price.
6. It's almost impossible to buy 'too much truck' when looking at any but the lightest camper. Dual rear wheels are more security but those 'hips' are tougher to wrangle when parking in tight quarters. For most people there is a 'period of adjustment'
7. It's easy to buy 'too much camper' for the truck, any truck.
8. If you plan on a moderate or lower amount of yearly mileage, a gas engine would be fine. If you plan on driving the TC more than 150K miles, total, then a diesel will finally payoff for the long haul.
9. Get your 'mirror technique' up to snuff.
just some things to think about.
jefe
Here is our 19 year old Lance Lite 165-s, short bed, bare bones, off-road equipped, 1842 pounds wet camper last week in Death Valley. It is just fine for TWO people once you learn the, "TC ballet" passing anyone in the aisle way. It's the shortest/lightest/least tall camper that Lance made at the time. The rig is 20 feet long and parks in any parking place. I include this as a foil on the other end of the TC scale.
All good points Mundo.
Hey,I'm curious how the AT3's are working out? Would you get them again?
I know you beat your rig up a bunch.

Last edited:

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
RegCab,
I don't know. I only have 2.5K miles on them. They are heavier than most but have the snow rated AT tread I wanted for winter on the West Slope, and combined with heavier steel wheels (which sustained no abrasion or dents last week) the rig is slower off the line. But i feather the truck anyway so no big loss. Also the change from 3.54's to 4.10's added more acceleration off the line so it's hard to tell. They are definitely tough roaring down the washboard road @ low pressure (28 pounds) and 40-60 mph. Icould not find one divit. It depends on what tread you want.
jefe

I'm of the opinion that a good quality travel trailer is going to make more sense for you. You can pull it with any suitable vehicle that has the towing capacity. Better seating in the tow rig, more room to live in, easy to leave in the campground, etc. Probably the only mod would be a weight distribution hitch, and maybe a brake controller.

Trailers, like truck campers, have good and bad manufacturers. Regardless of what you go with, do your homework.

CarolynJune

Again, thank you all! Especially Lance990 and Mundo - I will definitely do all that was suggested.

The boys and I looked about 20 different TCs and quite a few shorter Class Cs this weekend. I'm sure now that I will want the bigger TC like the Lance 990 or Squire 8000. However, knowing the length of the truck with a crew cab and the longer body of the bigger TC is 22-24 ft long, I may rethink the Class C and just keep my soon-to-be paid off car in town for when we're home.

Just have to keep searching.

Last edited:

dasadab

I would rethink your fear of towing. I have a Four Wheel Camper Hawk and a Fox Mountain 235RLS 5th wheel. Even though the FWC is light, by the time I get it loaded up, even it sways a bit more than I would like driving on curvy roads. My truck is a Chevy Silverado 2500HD with a Duramax. It's an awesome vehicle. But, I digress. My 5th wheel is light, has an aluminum cage frame, and what are advertised as off road (I translate as forest service dirt roads) capable. My wife and I drove it from L.A. to Whitehorse, Yukon, last summer. With my 3/4 ton truck, it really tracks and handles wonderfully. By way of comparison, in the past I had a very light Lance trailer that I towed behind a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the 5th wheel is day and night better. The Yukon is full of narrow, windy roads, and I never felt the 5th wheel do anything but behave. Yesterday, we drove the 5th wheel from Zion Nat. Park through Las Vegas and ran into some of the worst winds I have ever driven in. I never felt like the setup was anything other than under control. No getting pushed around, etc. It continued to track without effort. Now, it is a great vehicle with a heavy engine up front and it is about the smallest 5th wheel I could find. I will go out on a limb here and tell you that from my experience, and from what I see with heavy campers swaying down the road, a 5th wheel is going to feel more stable. Now, you can, of course, get a dually or SRW one ton truck, and really be careful about how you load it, etc, but you are still not going to have a lot of space compared to a 5th wheel. With a crew cab truck and a 5th wheel, your family will have comfortable places to sit while you drive. They also have huge amounts of storage. We take a barbecue, an inflatable kayak, fishing gear, etc. It all fits easily. When we were in Zion, it was great to unhitch the 5th wheel and take the truck down some pretty horrible "roads." I happened to see a few Rockwood Ultra Lites--another manufacturer of 5th wheel yesterday at a dealer lot, and they looked pretty nice as well.

Anyway, trailers and particularly 5th wheels, do take some practice driving around with. Spend an afternoon with a pro and you will be fine. My advice is to just stick to something under 30 feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles