RTT Electric Fan Vent?

Basil.

Hey All!

So I recently purchased an Alu-Cab RTT and have been loving it so far, I've spent about 15 nights in it. My previous tent was a James Baroud Grand Raid XXL, and I really miss the solar fan it had in it.

Has anyone ever thought of adding a solar fan to a RTT? Ive researched and found several on Amazon but the reviews say they don't last long after the sun has gone down. Id really like it to be able to run all night to help with condensation. I don't even mind making it hard wired into the car, I can't imagine it drawing that much power.

Lets hear your thoughts! Im sure tons of other people would love to have a ventilation fan in their RTT!

_BAL6053 by Basil Lynch, on Flickr

_BAL2529 by Basil Lynch, on Flickr

captadv

Spectator
Look at sailboat vents, some are solar powered some 12v, some passive. All pretty expensive. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Eagle05

Adventurer
Options that work for me.

If you don't want to drill a hole in your roof...

I've had this fan for nearly two years and absolutely love it. It's bulky, but the power draw is quite low and it really blows. I'm a big fan of it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AY2Z...p/B0000AY2Z6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_zlb-ybYVX2T1M

This one I picked up while traveling last year and it saved me from burning up in the Arizona heat. I recharged it daily with the inverter while driving, and then the larger pack would last all night. When at home it pulls double duty around the garage with an extension cord. Which has been nice to keep the bugs away too.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Hybrid-Portable-Fan-Tool-Only-P3320/205022215

We have an Ursa Minor pop up on our Wrangler now and this one was recommended to us recently. So far so good. Especially with a USB plug near by or a spare battery pack. It's cheap, small, and surprisingly, moves a lot of air.
Elechomes EH101 Rechargeable Operated Clip on Mini Desk USB Fan for Home Office Baby Stroller Car Laptop Study Table Gym Camping Tent, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GPHO0XY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_6mb-yb99P24X9

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I run a clip-on 12v car oscillating fan that I bought for maybe $20. I've never thought to of taken a picture of it, but it looks and could be identical to this one:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/like/111980950543?chn=ps

It's cheap and the switch broke, but I just hardwired it and I've been using it for the last, god, like 6-7 years like that. I used to have it plugged into the truck. I've ran that thing all night, and even during the day for naps and have never even come close to of drained battery even over 4 days.

Roger M.

Adventurer
The Fan-Tastic Endless Breeze fan linked to above is the best fan I've ever used in a roof top tent.
It's got the ceiling mount Fan-Tastic fan quality, but in a freestanding unit you can move around.

I suspend it inside the roof-top tent, blowing out a screen window. It moves a TON of air, and cools the entire tent in about 30 seconds.
On "low", if the night is hot - the fan will maintain the inside of the tent at whatever the outside temp is, plus the additional cooling effect of air moving through the tent from one end to the other.

It really does an amazing job, and only pulls 1.2A on low to 2.6A at speed (and "high" moves massive amounts of air).

No need to drill a hole in your hard top - as you're just steering the air through the screened windows.

Roger M.

Adventurer
I'd do a check that the roof-top Fan-Tastic fan functions properly, and remains waterproof when it's running at a 55 degree angle.

I may be mistaken, but they appear to be engineered to run in the horizontal position, as on a typical RV's flat roof.

The Alu-Cab top (for example) is far from horizontal, and may result in the way the fan seals out rain when the roof is in the "up" position not functioning as intended or designed?

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Another vote for the Fan-Tastic Fan. I've been using one for years in multiple RTTs. When using a Propex heater, I find that putting the fan in front of your supply duct keeps the entire RTT an even temperature. And, you have an even drone of noise all night long, instead of waking up each time the thermostat cycles. Unexpected bonus.

Lucky j

Explorer
Look at sailboat vents, some are solar powered some 12v, some passive. All pretty expensive. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This is what my gf has on the top of her autohome columbia. Was install by the PO. As been on for a complete winter once. Completely forgot about it. Was back spinning the minute it got sun on it the following spring. Not enough to cool down, but great for humidity and condensation. Went out for a week in NH a couple year ago, rain every day, but still confo in the tent.

Djack

This is what my gf has on the top of her autohome columbia. Was install by the PO. As been on for a complete winter once. Completely forgot about it. Was back spinning the minute it got sun on it the following spring. Not enough to cool down, but great for humidity and condensation. Went out for a week in NH a couple year ago, rain every day, but still confo in the tent.
Hey...which fan did your friend run in the auto home Columbia? I’ve got as Airtop and want to do the same. Many thanks ? Djack

demagxc

I've been using this fan in my Tepui and so far so good: Odoland Fan and Light

I hate replacing batteries so I wired in a buck converter to run it off a USB rechargeable battery pack. I added a female barrel jack to the top of the fan and whipped up a cord with USB on one end and a male barrel jack at the other to connect it to a power pack.

Buck Converter Link

Just enough cooling in the summer and didn't notice any humidity problems in Vermont below freezing. Being able to hang it from one of the top bars and angle the light and fan where you want it is a huge bonus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles