2017 Ford E450 C-Class 4WD conversion

Bernhausen

Thought I would share our recent build with your guys. We are a diesel shop based in BC Canada. A few months back we received a phone call from Travel Land RV asking if we could turn one of their brand new V10 gasser units into a 4WD off road machine. This sounded fun so of course we took it on!

Not knowing exactly what to expect this is the monster that rolled up to our a shop a couple days later, a 2017 E450 C-Class. Full slide out, exterior entertainment center.... big... very big...

Due to the size and weight F350 Axles were going to be at their limit, it was decided to use F550 front and rear axles. The 550 components are much heavier duty then the e450 components, this allowed us to widen the track both front and rear, and also let us run 19.5" wheels and tires. There was some concern the 19.5s would hurt the ride quality, however we were pleasantly surprised with how much of an improvement they were over the stock E rated all seasons. The 450 springs made for a very vague ride, so we decided to retain the coil spring front suspension from the F series as well.

Widened front track!

We fought with this one for a while, the T-Case wanted to sit far to low for our liking. Eventually we were able to get T-Case tucked up into underbody out of harms way.

U-bolt eliminators and lift blocks for the rear end.

A stock 4WD shifter looker very out of place in the cabin, so this is what we came up with. The factory Auto locking hubs were also hooked up. We figured who ever buys a unit like this probably doesn't want to crawl in the muck to lock the front hubs.

The vehicle was inspected and re-certified with a higher GVW. Here's the Final result!

Now the bug has set in though and its time for a new shop vehicle... I'll be posting the next project as it unfolds. :26_7_2:

Last edited:

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
What happens when the owner tells ICBC that it is running a non factory 4x4 installation?

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
That is one nice lookin RV. Any chance you can get pics of the e-brake setup with the transfercase? Need to figure out my e-brake and transfercase setup for my e450 bus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94