Eezi-Awn or Alu-Cab 270 degree awning and why?

prerunner221

Adventurer
Of the two, which would you choose and why? A buddy of mine is mid build and looking at both options. They're both out of my price range, I'm in more of a Foxwing price point, but he's looking at these two. I've never seen either in person, so I figured I'd ask here and get some reviews from folks who have them.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Me too. I'm torn between the Eezi-Awn Bat and the Alu-Cab Shadow for a JK. It looks like the Alu-Cab has more coverage over the rear for cooking on a drawer slide in bad weather, and has less legs to set up.

Any chance that anyone has tried both?

Eagle05

Adventurer
Manta

I recently put a Manta on my Wrangler and after coming from a Foxwing can honestly say I love it. The quality is great and the simplicity of setup is really only second to the Alu-Cab Shadow. The side coverage is wonderful and if we don't open the tailgate all the way, it covers the rear table just fine. Not perfect, but good enough. We had 5-10 mph winds this weekend and set two legs down and attached a third arm to a box on the ground and it was stable without worry. On calm days, or for quick stops, the legless feature works well enough though I do get some droop and loss of standing height below. You don't have that problem with the AC as far as I've seen. I like the Shadow's setup, even if it's only one extra step than the Manta (the Bat wouldn't have that problem), reflective fabric and coverage better. Unless deploying it or leaving it out during windy conditions is a non-negotiable, I feel like either will work.

We really wanted to make the Shadow work after seeing them in person at Expo West last year, but I read so many comments from guys saying they were struggling to get it mounted to their specific roof rack. With the awning's solidly built design it seemed like the perfect awning for me. However, after I spoke with Ursa Minor, OK4WD, and Alu-Cab directly, and no one could give me a positive answer stating it would safely mount to the fiberglass long term, I went with the Eezi-Awn. I feel like I settled, but I have no regrets because I settled for what I knew would work. It just takes me a small bit more effort to get there.

Strictly aesthetically speaking, I think the black case on the Eezi-Awn looks better when stowed.

Utah200

Adventurer
Facing a similar decision, but with their respective hard case RTT's as well the awnings. I think the Alu-Cab awning is really the best design out there, but thus far the customer service and mounting options are so lackluster that it's hard to buy into.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
To me the shape of the Alucab is way better. Much better use of space, and square
Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

It is certainly harder to mount,
But you have no poles

If you have:
Children
Dogs
Drunk Friends

YOu will appreciate no poles needed. Ive had it in 30mph winds with zero issues, no poles
HOWEVER
I can weld. I built my own rack for it
2015 Toyota Tacoma by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

If you aren't handy, then you dont really have a choice. If you suck it up and pay a shop a few hundred bucks to fabricobble a mount, you will be happy.

The eezi awn is an upgraded foxwing
The alucab is the top of the line awning

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Rin at OK4WD told me that they usually stock brackets (made by Alu-Cab) for the Shadow Awning & SlimLine II racks (which I have). I'm leaning towards the Alu-Cab + brackets at this point. The brackets are a little ugly to me, but they look solid.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Facing a similar decision, but with their respective hard case RTT's as well the awnings. I think the Alu-Cab awning is really the best design out there, but thus far the customer service and mounting options are so lackluster that it's hard to buy into.

Bummed to hear that you feel the customer service is lackluster, if you need any assistance with Alu-Cab please feel free to reach out to myself I'm happy to help.

As far as mounting options we currently have mounts for Front Runner, Rhino Rack, Alu-Cab Load Bars, Expedition III RTT and ICARUS. We have also used FourTrek mounts for Baja Racks and Gobi Racks and they are now listed on their website. The roof rack market is nearly endless, but we hope to tackle more applications in the near future.

To me the shape of the Alucab is way better. Much better use of space, and square

It is certainly harder to mount,
But you have no poles

If you have:
Children
Dogs
Drunk Friends

YOu will appreciate no poles needed. Ive had it in 30mph winds with zero issues, no poles
HOWEVER
I can weld. I built my own rack for it

If you aren't handy, then you dont really have a choice. If you suck it up and pay a shop a few hundred bucks to fabricobble a mount, you will be happy.

The eezi awn is an upgraded foxwing
The alucab is the top of the line awning

Thanks for the testimonial and glad your digging your Shadow Awn!

Rin at OK4WD told me that they usually stock brackets (made by Alu-Cab) for the Shadow Awning & SlimLine II racks (which I have). I'm leaning towards the Alu-Cab + brackets at this point. The brackets are a little ugly to me, but they look solid.
01F9BD03-DF7C-41F7-8CE2-B1B55BEB1817_zpsjh5kyhk0.jpg

They may not win a fashion show, but they are STOUT and stainless steel ;)

Last edited:

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
Bummed to hear that you feel the customer service is lackluster, if you need any assistance with Alu-Cab please feel free to reach out to myself I'm happy to help.

Um, I hate to say this, but I've developed a similar opinion. I have yet to use my awing due to a lack of usable brackets to mount it to my K9 rack. I was basically told "sorry, can't help you, have a nice day.", and any attempt to get further with this has been met with no response. That's though this forum and calls to OK4WD directly asking for you. I think the awing is probably the best one out there from what I've seen, but sure would like to be able to use it!

Back to the OP's question, I had an Eezi-awn Manta Awning. I liked it ok, except that it felt like you had to be real careful with it, especially on takedown, and it wasn't self supposing like the Shadow. And if there was any kink of a breeze, you have to stake it down. Plus, as odd as this may sound, it was hotter under the awning than in full sun! I know this from stopping for lunch in the NE corner of Arizona last summer, enroute to CO for some camping. Seems kinda counter productive to me...

rino

Um, I hate to say this, but I've developed a similar opinion. I have yet to use my awing due to a lack of usable brackets to mount it to my K9 rack. I was basically told "sorry, can't help you, have a nice day.", and any attempt to get further with this has been met with no response. That's though this forum and calls to OK4WD directly asking for you. I think the awing is probably the best one out there from what I've seen, but sure would like to be able to use it!

Back to the OP's question, I had an Eezi-awn Manta Awning. I liked it ok, except that it felt like you had to be real careful with it, especially on takedown, and it wasn't self supposing like the Shadow. And if there was any kink of a breeze, you have to stake it down. Plus, as odd as this may sound, it was hotter under the awning than in full sun! I know this from stopping for lunch in the NE corner of Arizona last summer, enroute to CO for some camping. Seems kinda counter productive to me...

I'm assuming you asked about mounting to the K-9 rack after you purchased the awning? I apologize that we do not have mounts for your particular rack system, but I do not equate my response to being lackluster customer service. I'm more than happy to help, but in some instances I cannot create, test and sell you a mount for a particular rack. However I will be sure to bring this up with Alu-Cab again and if a mount system comes to fruition, you will be the first to know. :)

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
Lackluster response in regards to follow up questions in trying to make the rack and awning work together. Yes, I had the rack before I purchased the awning, but I've spent quite a bit of time trying to find out more details on a mounting solution, and inquires have basically ignored.
Supposedly there is a universal kit for these, but it's not available anyware or something, and I find it hard to fathom that as the sole importer for Alu-cab in the USA, that you guys don't have more information for mounting options. I mean, I sell stuff for a living, and I try to know as much as possible about my products as I can.
I've even contacted Alu-cab directly, and all they did was say "Sorry, talk to the guys at OK4WD." Wasn't too thrilled there...
Not a personal beef, just saying what I've had happen so far in my attempt to use my awning.

rino

Lackluster response in regards to follow up questions in trying to make the rack and awning work together. Yes, I had the rack before I purchased the awning, but I've spent quite a bit of time trying to find out more details on a mounting solution, and inquires have basically ignored.
Supposedly there is a universal kit for these, but it's not available anyware or something, and I find it hard to fathom that as the sole importer for Alu-cab in the USA, that you guys don't have more information for mounting options. I mean, I sell stuff for a living, and I try to know as much as possible about my products as I can.
I've even contacted Alu-cab directly, and all they did was say "Sorry, talk to the guys at OK4WD." Wasn't too thrilled there...
Not a personal beef, just saying what I've had happen so far in my attempt to use my awning.

I'm not trying to argue with you and I understand you are frustrated. I was just saying it would have been easier to inform you if we knew your rack type before purchasing the awning rather than afterwards disappoint you with the answer. I do know the Alu-Cab line and I know the mounting options, none of which are currently for the K-9 rack. If we can get a mount for the K-9 I will be happy to let you know and get you fitted up.

prerunner221

Adventurer
I would say to the above person with the mounting issue, if you have $1500 or so for an awning, you can probably afford to have a fab shop make some mounts to fit your rack. Shoot, make 5 sets, and sell the other 4 sets to off-set the cost of yours. There are a lot of little shops starting up like gziladesigns.com that are starting to make mounts for all kinds of things that used to be hard to mount. Give him a ring and see if he can get something made for you. I have used a few of his mounts, and he makes an outstanding product.

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
I did get some made, and was less than thrilled with the outcome there, too.

That doesn't justify calls, inquires, emails to the manufacturer, etc. going unanswered or vague like "Sorry man, talk to somebody else". I tried for a week once to get ahold of a certain rep from OK4WD, only to be passed off. I was trying to find out if Alu-cab's UNIVERSAL mounts would work with the K9, but never got any response. Site has no info, pics, or detailed info on it. I get the fact that not every product works with everything else, but when a company says they offer a UNIVERSAL mount, and I've already shelled out some cash for something I can't use yet, I'd like some fairly detailed info in the said item before spending even more money on the kit. I did finally get a pic emailed to me from another rep at said store, only to see a pile of SS bolts and hardware. THAT'S detailed?

And look, I think it's a great awning, I saw them in action last year in CO, when we stumbled into some folks there for the Hundred in the Hills 6. I was so impressed I went home and sold my Eezi-Awn, and bought the Shadow. I just want to be able to use the dumb thing, that's all. And another thing, prior to getting the K9, I had a Slimline rack on the handy, which Alu-cab DOES make direct fit brackets for, but after using the rack with a RTT, and being less than impressed by the overall design, I got the K9. So, would it have been better to stick with a rack I didn't like to get some brackets??

And while we're on the topic of racks, I had two different brackets from Front Runner for the SlimLine to mount up my Eezi-awn awning. Neither of them worked right either ( sold as DIRECT FIT FOR THE MANTA), and one set I felt would work with the Shadow, only to find out that they would't once I got the awning and brackets together. So it's not like I bought the shadow, found out I have some mounting issues, and jumped on here to start badmouthing people. I have spent a lot of time trying to get this to work, and work correctly, and so far have not got there.

So anyway, back to the OP's original question. Having had both, even though I haven't been able to use the Shadow but seeing first hand, I feel the Shadow is a better awning and would love to use it!
Cheers and all that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94