Adapt my FWC Eagle to a fullsize truck, or start over with a Hawk?

icediver

Observer
For those of you who have gone through the process of building a platform to fit a smaller camper onto a bigger truck, would you do it again, or would starting over with a camper built for that truck be a better idea?

My family is growing, and as much as I'd like it to, there is no way to fit a rear facing car seat into the back of my extra-cab 1st gen Tacoma and carry a passenger (wife) in the front. The Tacoma with Eagle on the back was the perfect rig for the two of us and a dog. Now it looks like I'm in the market for a bigger rig. I've gone around in circles about what truck I'll be buying but it's going to be a full size. (F150/250...Powerwagon?). I still have a few months to figure that part out. The part I need help with is do I keep my Eagle and adapt it to a full size truck, or sell it this spring and buy a hawk this fall/winter?

How much bigger is a Hawk then an Eagle really? I've seen the numbers, but do they feel much bigger inside?

If I put my eagle on a full size I'd obviously have to build a platform under it and extend the jack plates. Neither of which is hard. Anything else I'm missing?

My Eagle is pretty basic, but it works for us and we like it. 2006 shell with propane furnace, full counter top, side dinette seats, solar with two deep cycle batteries, arctic pack, yakima roof rack, fantastic fan. Its well used but solid. If we started over with a Hawk we'd likely duplicate what we have, just in the bigger format. I've been out of the buying game for a while, whats the going rate for a Eagle now-a-days if I were to sell?

Opinions? Suggestions?

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I had a Skamper built for smaller pick-ups on my Dodge. I loved the under camper storage and extra space. But I didn't love the increased COG. I then went to a Hawk and I loved the overall fit and function. The space seemed so much larger. I think I would find a nice used Hawk ( they go fast) and post yours up on this and Wander the West. This time of year you may find it gone before you finish typing ( if you price accordingly)

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Ice diver , there is a guy on wtw , that has a fleet and wants to trade for a eagle . His sound similar to your eagle maybe the fleet would work for you alittle more room and bigger just a thought

icediver

Observer
Thanks for the replies. I knew it would raise it up a few inches - I hadn't considered the rise in center of gravity too. Makes sense, the camper base wouldn't be on the floor bed. Wonder if it'd be less of an effect since the Eagle is a smaller camper?

rangerdogg - I had seen that post for a fleet/eagle trade, but thanks for pointing it out. Thinking that at this point if I'm going to change campers might as well go all the way to a Hawk and skip the middle step.

Pax2525

Adventurer
For what its worth I would go and switch it up. Its really nice to have a camper that is the appropriate fit for the truck you own. I don't think you'll ever regret it especially if you get at least the same set up inside if not update and get even more of the creature comforts FWC offers. Kids need space and trying to put all of that in the smaller Eagle is gonna be tight not to mention the build needed to make it work. Good luck either way you go!

bob91yj

Resident **************
My camper is a Sun-Lite Skyhawk, originally in a Ford Ranger. I had to put it on a 4" platform to make it work. While more interior room would be a bonus, the narrow camper allows for storage space between the truck bed and the camper.

baja10002012170.jpg

icediver

Observer
That looks really good. I love that you can close the tailgate. Maybe what I should do is keep the Eagle, and try the platform in a fullsize. If I don't like it make the switch next year. Suppose I'm not really out much selling next spring rather then this year.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Looking closer at the pic I posted, I think I ended up going an inch taller on the platform for better roof clearance. I've considered having a water tank built to use as a platform rather than the dead space I have now. It's not my idea, one of my customers did it under their 4WC.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
I have a 05' eagle on a extra cab f-150. Had it on a ranger, built a 2x4 platform. I would absolutely do it again. I can't overload it and can haul my two ATVs and still have lots of power.

Edit; in addition to having a smaller camper you're not starting out pushing the gvwr.
Just weighed my eagle, with ten gallons of water it's​ about 1100 lbs. technically too much for my ranger. With it on a larger vehicle I can carry/haul more stuff.
Not sure what size appropriate means other than being closer to the max weight capacity.

Last edited:

jmarr_99

I have a 05' eagle on a extra cab f-150. Had it on a ranger, built a 2x4 platform. I would absolutely do it again. I can't overload it and can haul my two ATVs and still have lots of power.

Edit; in addition to having a smaller camper you're not starting out pushing the gvwr.
Just weighed my eagle, with ten gallons of water it's​ about 1100 lbs. technically too much for my ranger. With it on a larger vehicle I can carry/haul more stuff.
Not sure what size appropriate means other than being closer to the max weight capacity.
Mickey,
How did you back up your F150 under an Eagle. I have a 2018 F150 and a 2004 Eagle. The Eagle came with 2 center jacks only. I extended the plate 5 inches, but the Jack base still gets in the way of the tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles