Dual zone whynter? Fm-62dz

drifter_r6

Observer
I had one for about 3 months during the hottest times of AZ summer. Kept things "frozen" (ice cream/popsicles) they weren't hard, was on the borderline of melting but nothing liquefied, just soft. Keep in mind ambient temps were 105-115, vehicle interior temps probably 130+. Fridge ran constantly and a few times hit the low voltage cutoff after sitting for 2 days without starting the truck (3 batteries, diesel engine). Considering the extremes, it worked well.

Cons: The fridge is BIG and HEAVY. Not something you want to take in and out of your vehicle. Make sure you have clearance when mounted inside your vehicle to open the doors. The FM-62DZ seemed to be a power hog. I now use two ARB 50s and combined they don't draw as much power. I didn't like the interior, it seemed fragile. The interior side walls felt like the consistency of aluminum turkey pans, the top insulated doors sounded like hollow, thin plastic. Over time with foods banging around during offroad trips I'd think the interior would be beat to hell. Side carry handles are plastic using small screw hardware. Considering the weight of the fridge and if loaded up, the handles would eventually give out.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

rdracer66

I've owned one now for a few years, ordered it from home depot in case I had to return it for any reason. No reasons so far, it's running great. Drifter brings up good points about it being heavy and what not. I have this in the back of my 4runner and have put it through hell as far as rough roads and the like. And no issues what so ever except for a little rattle, not sure what is rattling maybe the compressor? (been that way since new) I've meant to take it apart since the warranty has long expired to try and make it quieter. I actually put a post up asking if others have had this issue and only received one response confirming they also had a small rattle. I keep the freezer at 20F and fridge side at 38F. I typically keep frozen steaks or fish or meals that I've prepped at home and froze on the freezer side. They are frozen solid when I pull them out in the morning and they are thawed and ready to eat by dinner time. This fridge/freezer will hold a lot of food and or drink.

snowblind

Adventurer
I've had one for two years. It sits unused 90% of the time. Goes in the suburban when we go camping. Love it

Yes it is heavy but I can still lift it in and out by myself. It's also not as efficient as the more expensive fridges. But it's DUAL ZONE and that provides some big advantages. I use the small side exclusively for drinks and that helps a lot with efficiency. You can fit at least two 12-packs of cans in the small side and it will freeze diet sodas when set @ 32º.

If I wanted to take FROZEN cargo I would treat it more like a cooler and put the frozen solid stuff on the bottom of the small compartment and cover it with frozen water bottles or ice bags.

I recommend for use in an SUV or RV. Other members have shown that the exterior plastics do not fair well in outdoor environments.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94