tarp for covering trailer during transportation

cr500taco

Adventurer
Just wondering what you guys use/recommend for covering your trailers to protect the cargo from the elements? I am thinking a regular tarp wouldn't last too long while going down the highway.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Military 1/4 ton trailers were outfitted with canvas tarps to protect the cargo and were quite durable.

newban4.jpg

JeepTrailerWillysMBTBantamT3Front.jpg

This is what I use for my '46 Bantam T3-C trailer, a custom made Can-Back Sunbrella top [www.can-back.com]:

2005 Nissan Xterra Offroad with 1946 Bantam T3-C.jpg

Unfortunately, Can-Back has new owners who don't seem particularly interested in custom work but you may find one of their production tops that could be adapted to fit your trailer. Also, a Google search should probably net you some articles for DIY versions. I recall reading them but sorry to say didn't save the links.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
I'm struggling with the same debate for my sears and roebuck trailer with custom rack. I was planning on canvas but now I'm wondering if I should reconsider for the highway miles I'll see en route to destinations.

Canvas or vinyl or heavy poly? Other options I'm missing?
930fe4a5d46c519c4aa98c4ca4de6a21.jpg

RedM101A2

Mytarps.com Machine cover for my M101A2

Attachments

• 23000313_184572305438138_5988161970184369805_o.jpg
    23000313_184572305438138_5988161970184369805_o.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 17

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Just wondering what you guys use/recommend for covering your trailers to protect the cargo from the elements? I am thinking a regular tarp wouldn't last too long while going down the highway.

The blue poly tarps do not handle hiway speed well. They also do a fine job of sanding paint down to bare steel.

Canvas is expensive but it is strong and durable.

Truckers use rubberized tarps which are waterproof but very heavy.

As pointed out there are custom tarp/cover fab shops out there. Can be made to fit with "boxed" corners for stability and reduction of water ingress.

RedM101A2

Heavy vinyl shaped like a shoebox lid it is held down with 3/8'' bungie rope.
It has been on for six years and has held up well. Mytarps.com made it to my measurements.
Travis is a great person to work with. They will also place grommets to your measurements.
They carry sunbrella, vinyl, canvas and poly materials in many colors.
So far it is water tight and still fits well. Even after being outside stored.

Attachments

• DSC07104.jpg
    DSC07104.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 16

shifty98

Observer
Have you considered using plastic containers of some sort? Rubbermaid makes an "Action Packer" model that has worked well for me. I also have a couple job boxes and truck toolboxes I use. These all keep water out pretty well. They also organize gear for storage at home. I can see the benefits of a tarp but I have been using these sort of boxes for some time with pretty good results. I can definitely see the merits of using a tarp though. I just have not yet invested in one specifically for my trailers.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Have you considered using plastic containers of some sort? Rubbermaid makes an "Action Packer" model that has worked well for me. I also have a couple job boxes and truck toolboxes I use. These all keep water out pretty well. They also organize gear for storage at home. I can see the benefits of a tarp but I have been using these sort of boxes for some time with pretty good results. I can definitely see the merits of using a tarp though. I just have not yet invested in one specifically for my trailers.
I'm not sure about the OP, but in my case the tarp will be used for camping trips and other large items that don't fit in totes. Or dirty items that don't go in totes but don't need to be exposed to the elements constantly. I have as many totes as the next guy because I like to be organized but some things don't replace the ability to cover your entire trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne