2017 Tacoma TRD Offroad "Wilderness Wagon" Build

motor-vater

Observer
So I am the proud owner of a 2017 TRD Offraod and as happy as I am with the truck it is not in my nature to leave things alone. The goal of this build is to have a completely capable, trail, mud and snow machine that can haul my family around on our many adventures as well as still serve its purpose as and everyday driver. This build will be intensive and is being featured in Four Wheeler magazine. Over the next couple of months please follow me as we do Bumpers, lights, suspension, cargo systems, and plenty of accessories. All major work is being done by Mike Duval of Duval Offroad Designs "DOD" in Thousand Oaks California as I consider him on of the utmost authorities in all things offroad and I would not trust anyone else to chop the heak out of my brand new truck that I have only made 3 payments on.. lol So lets get started.

Here is the first week I had it added a frontrunner bed bar set up to get me through the first camp trip

motor-vater

Observer
This weekend we made the first serious mods. Bumpers and rock sliders by Off Camber Fabrications, a 28" E series light bar as well as flood and spot lights from Rigid Industries all powered and controlled with an SPOD HD system. For this install we enlisted the help of Mike Duval "DOD". This was a labor intensive venture but mike banged it out in a little less than a day with help from some of the boys from his "Low Range" jeep club.

motor-vater

Observer
A little bit about the product, I have to say the bumpers were very straight forward and easy to install. They come in pieces so shipping is standard UPS instead of truck freight. This means they can ship straight to your front door and they get there fast. They have a winch option as well but I have rarely found the need for a winch so I could not justify the added weight on the truck. I am one of those that is still very disappointment TRD discontinued its supercharger kit. The rock sliders were a little bit more of a job, though the bolt on nature of them makes it seemingly simplistic but the sheer size and weight of them makes it a job for you and a few buddies. This was one I was very glad we had access to a lift for, though I am sure it could be done in the driveway, with a few friends and a 12 pack. The SPOD is about one of the coolest things I have ever owned it is literally controllable with my smartphone, yeah for real there is an app for that! And it has built in bluetooth. That means I can dazel and amaze my friends from across camp and will no doubt come in useful when the rack, tent and awning is installed because I can operate the camp light right from my lounge chair. The Rigid industries lights are a staple to any offroad adventure. The stock Toyota lights are horrible and I could get lost on a well lit street before but now with the press of a button total daylight is achieved. No cutting corners when it comes to lighting, I have cheeped out in the past only to find myself in the dark when I needed those lights most. Never again!

motor-vater

Observer
So I was planning to wait for the suspension before I put on the wheels and tires but I was feeling the itch so today I put on the SOTA Offroad DRT's and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's. Rims are 17x8 with a 6 offset and the tires are 265/70/R17. I also I had the tire shop use the schrader ez sensor TPMS. They "clone" the code of the original TPMS sensor so Know I have 2 complete sets of wheels and tires that are interchangeable with out any Tire Pressure Monitoring drama's

motor-vater

Observer
I also started working on the dual Battery system. I have been wanting to get around to it for awhile but been battling weather or not to do an isolater or DC/DC charger (because of the smart alternator) I ordered the charger then changed my mind and sent it back and decided to just go with the Blue Sea set up that everyone else seems to utilize. I was also going to fab up a second battery bracket, but unfortunately I am a procrastinator and have less time than money, which isnt saying much cause I'm broke! So I went ahead and ordered the offgrid second battery tray for the passenger side. I understand it is a small company so I wont cry to much about the price, but I do feel it could be less expensive for what it is. All and all the install was event less with the exception I had to modify the top strap to accommodate the yellow top group 34 Battery.

I had to notch the strap for the group 34 battery

Why not just use a group 35 like recommended, well because after going to 7 auto parts stores only to have all of them say I can get u that by tomorrow, I figured I was best off going with what they had in stock. 3 year warranty and the aility to exchange anywhere in the country would do me no good if I had to wait a day for the exchange. Plus the lower profile of the group 34 gives me more clearance between the hood and terminals.... Wiring to happen this weekend

motor-vater

Observer
Finally Finished the battery set up. 3d printed a bracket to hold the Bluesea ML ACR and wired up everything with 2 Gauge welding wire and some premium military style battery clamps

motor-vater

Observer
Went with Baja Rack for the bed and roof rack, tried and true not to mention I liked the very utilitarian look of the bed system, its almost military and I could see mounting a turret to the top of that sucker. This is the stripped version, once all the bracets and accesories are mounted you will see the true beauty. Maxx Trax, rotopax, highlift jack, shovel, powertank, rooftop tent, ARB Awning, etc.....

motor-vater

Observer
Next up will be the suspension, its gonna be a pretty awesome series of upgrades and will probably happen in June. Until then I will just do the simple things like emblems, grill, etc... thanks for looking!

dumprat

Adventurer
This is going in a magazine? There is nothing to besides advertising. Why not do something out of the box and Interesting! Instead of just throwing a catalog at it?

This is going in a magazine? There is nothing to besides advertising. Why not do something out of the box and Interesting! Instead of just throwing a catalog at it?

Cuz 3d printing a bracket is not out of the box and interesting?

Give the guy a break, lots of what he installed takes tones of tools and experience to be able to build on your own

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

motor-vater

Observer
I would most definitely love to have the time and ability to fab more stuff for my build. I am a CNC machinist by trade and do enjoy designing and fabing. But that being said I have never been one to try and reinvent the wheel. I am simply trying to outfit my truck to be able to accomplish what I want to do with it, and most of the parts I need are more ezially sourced than built. The market is heavily saturated with product so why try to create one off stuff when I am more than impressed with the current availability of parts. I admire those that make their own stuff but lets be real here 95% of us are looking for bolt on stuff that us weekend warriors can install quickly and put to immediate use. Thanks for your feed back and I hope I have not offended you with my response, its not my goal.

borison

Adventurer
I would most definitely love to have the time and ability to fab more stuff for my build. I am a CNC machinist by trade and do enjoy designing and fabing. But that being said I have never been one to try and reinvent the wheel. I am simply trying to outfit my truck to be able to accomplish what I want to do with it, and most of the parts I need are more ezially sourced than built. The market is heavily saturated with product so why try to create one off stuff when I am more than impressed with the current availability of parts. I admire those that make their own stuff but lets be real here 95% of us are looking for bolt on stuff that us weekend warriors can install quickly and put to immediate use. Thanks for your feed back and I hope I have not offended you with my response, its not my goal.
Well said.

tonkaman

Adventurer
The truck looks great!

What size is the RTT? Does it hang over the cab as well? Hard to tell in the pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier