Anyone tried a CRP / Continental timing belt kit on their Montero?

All-Terrain

No Road Required
I am looking to do the timing belt on my 2006 (3.8 V6). RockAuto has a CRP / Continental Pro series timing belt kit, TB320LK1-WH, for $230 with a tensioner included.

Anyone tried one of these? Comments on the quality vs Aisin? Wondering what brands the various included parts are.

Thanks!

Tundraguy81

Observer
I use aisin when it's available for the car I'm working on. Aisin uses koyo pulleys and mostly mitsoboshi belt. Aisin is an OEM manufacturer for many Japanese car makers and are top quality parts. I've been a professional mechanic for over 15 years.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
I have never used Continental belts...even though there are mixed reviews on them, a couple of buddies of mine years ago used them on their 4G63's and they stretched which was a common issue with them, which is enough for me that I never used their belts on my personal vehicles. I have either used OEM or Gates and I have had no issues on them and I have used them on my Galants, my wifes Gen 3 and my Montero Sport. When I purchase my new rig...its definitely going to be either OEM or Gates.

As far as the tensioner pulley...ALWAYS OEM!

RyanY

Adventurer
It's been found that non-OEM t-belt tensioners fail at a much higher rate than the factory part. Considering what the engine repairs will cost you if any part of the timing belt or tensioning system fails, it's really not somewhere to be looking to save a few bucks.

snare

Adventurer
For belts, I have been hearing OEM or Gates too. I just had a Gates installed in my 3.5 liter.

OEM/Aisin for tensioners and water pump.

OEM seals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles