Biggest AGM battery in 2000 lx470

zoom17

Zoom
I'd like to fit the largest AGM battery in my 470. What's the largest battery I can fit in it with minimal modifications.

Thanks in advance for the help.

v_man

Explorer
I'm looking at a new battery in my Lx as well, my understanding is a group 27 battery is the stock size but you can fit a group 31 with an aftermarket battery tray. SLEE makes an aftermarket tray that I'm going to get . Group 31 seems to be a harder size to find FWIW...

Jwestpro

Explorer
Don't rule out moving simple items to make space. I know it's not same layout but I've added batteries under the hood on 3 Land Rovers: Discovery 1 and 2 they either just turn the factory position 90 degrees and add another right against it. Size specific though.

Size that fit was 2 Optimas same size as factory, but 2 so you have separated house power for a fridge and 12v ongoing. I forget which D1 or D2 had that solution but the other one we removed the factory bottle jack from front port side corner and added 2nd battery there. Factory location in front starboard corner was simply replaced with better battery. However now my choice is Odessey instead of Optima.

Next, in my Disvovery 3, I replaced factory battery with Odessey 1750 which fits fine but the big job was fitting the 2150 into the factory allotted dual bay on port side near back of engine bay. This spot is only sized for factory dimensioned unit but we cut away the box forward, moved some brackets, and just barely tucked this tall long very heavy battery into that spot.

Then in front of there is tucked a small ARB compressor which feeds a 2nd factory air tank mounted underneath between starboard side sill and frame. Makes for nice few minutes of high flow air before compressor has to start again.

Anyway, the LR3 bay was way bigger than the Disco 1 and 2. I can get photos if it's helpful. We still have all three vehicles :)

texascrane

Adventurer
The biggest battery with no modification is the Northstar Group 27F AGM. Batteries Plus sells it under their X2 Power brand. It's a 91AH battery. To get anything bigger, you've got to go to a Group 31, which requires a new battery tray and probably only nets you about an extra 10% capacity. The X2 Power also has 5-year full replacement (not prorated) warranty which is awesome.

toehold

I just dropped a 49 into my "new-to-me" lx470. Barely fits but it does squeeze in there. Top brace needs a spacer to fill in gaps but in a pinch you can just cinch it down until you find a spacer.

TH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bretthn

Explorer
Don't rule out moving simple items to make space. I know it's not same layout but I've added batteries under the hood on 3 Land Rovers: Discovery 1 and 2 they either just turn the factory position 90 degrees and add another right against it. Size specific though.

Size that fit was 2 Optimas same size as factory, but 2 so you have separated house power for a fridge and 12v ongoing. I forget which D1 or D2 had that solution but the other one we removed the factory bottle jack from front port side corner and added 2nd battery there. Factory location in front starboard corner was simply replaced with better battery. However now my choice is Odessey instead of Optima.

Next, in my Disvovery 3, I replaced factory battery with Odessey 1750 which fits fine but the big job was fitting the 2150 into the factory allotted dual bay on port side near back of engine bay. This spot is only sized for factory dimensioned unit but we cut away the box forward, moved some brackets, and just barely tucked this tall long very heavy battery into that spot.

Then in front of there is tucked a small ARB compressor which feeds a 2nd factory air tank mounted underneath between starboard side sill and frame. Makes for nice few minutes of high flow air before compressor has to start again.

Anyway, the LR3 bay was way bigger than the Disco 1 and 2. I can get photos if it's helpful. We still have all three vehicles :)

^^^ What JWestpro says about moving items is spot on. I was able to squeeze a group 31 into the passenger side of my LX470 while keeping AHC. Thats a tight fit and so far I have not seen anyone do the same.
I only run a group 65 in that location but was able to to fit the Group 31 when I tested it.
106194-100-Series-Family-Adventure-Rig

Link to full install here. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/106194-100-Series-Family-Adventure-Rig?p=1356951#post1356951

zoom17

Zoom
Thanks for the information. I think I'm going with a group 27 AGM and no modifications. I'll be taking out the AHC at some point in the near future and at that time I'll put the second battery in the AHC spot. Thanks again.

Madbodhi

Observer
Torfab makes a dual battery tray that puts 2 Group 34's in the stock location with only minor trimming. Wire them in parallel to act as a single battery or wire them as dual batteries.

dogsdayindurham

Sleeoffroad offers a 31M tray for the original battery position and a tray for the location near the power steering reservoir / AHC.

http://sleeoffroad.com/products/products_battery.htm

For what it's worth Sam's Club has 31M AGM in stock pretty readily, but I have not seen any AGMs at Costco.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-deep-cycle-marine-and-rv-battery-group-size-31dtmagm/ Goes for about 179.

Batteriesplus.com (b&m stores) also seem to have the XS Power and Duracell/Energizer 31AGMs in stock. They also seem to be able to get the Odyssey AGMs in stock within a day or two.

I have 2 Group 65s in my truck using a set of Odyssey Aluminum trays I found on ebay for cheap. I made a custom tray previously, but have since switched over. A Sears Diehard Platinum AGM (was my main, but now in the backup role after about 7 years of faithful service) and a Energizer AGM. I think I paid 185 after coupon / mail in rebate. The X2 Power they have is a pretty solid deal, the 300 dollars one has a 6 year free replacement warranty with comparable specs to the Odyssey Group 65 AGM.

Madbodhi

Observer
2 group 34 have the same AH as one group 31

Not true. Interstate agm battery specs shows 62 AH for the 34 and 100 AH for the 31. X2 agm battery specs show 68 AH for the 34 and 100 AH for the 31. 20%+ increase in AH. The pro's are higher AH and 2 independent batteries in the stock location. The con is 1 Group 31 weighs 75 lbs whereas 1 Group 34 weighs 50 lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94