subscription for Gaia.

Seems to me that I don't want to pay for a subscription . If it s 5.99 a month so roughly 72 per year. I think that is crazy. When I buy something I want to be mine I don't want to rent it . Isn't lease my jeep or my other programs on the computer. I also don't want some company just dipping into my account every month for 5.99 here, 7.99 there etc. What I want to do is by the the program and be able to down load the maps as I need them. Can this be done with Gaia or not? What programs/app can it be done with?

I probably posted this in the wrong place to start to this is a re-post.

sickchilly

Observer
I love Gaia and have never paid for the subscription. I've found it's very easy to plan my trips in Garmin Basecamp, export my waypoints/routes/tracks as a GPX files, then load that into Gaia either by email, iCloud, or Gaia web portal. If you use the Gaia web portal, it's very easy to organize each trip into a separate folder. Then, in the Gaia app, you can go into a folder and "view on map". From there, it's easy to download maps and select the area encompassing your planned trip(s). It's not automatic, but it takes way less time than it took me to plan the trip for sure.

1Louder

Explorer
The model of giving people updates for free for life without charging additional money cannot continue. You as the consumer and pick and choose what you want to spend your money on. Most software companies have done this: Adobe, Intuit, you name it. They are all subscription models. I understand where you are coming from but you can't expect these companies to employee a team of developers to continually improve an application and only charge a one time fee. Hema isn't as good but for now there is no annual subscription fee. It is a clone of an OLD version of Gaia. If you are on Android there is Back Country Navigator but I know they charge additional fees depending on what maps you want. I don't own the program so I can't speak to that.

With regards to the current version of Gaia the pro version is optional. You don't have to pay additional fees. You pay and you get more features. The base level allows you to download any of the maps available at the non-subscription level for free.

For me Gaia Pro is well worth it. Others some of the more basic software works for them. That's fine. Everyone has to pick and choose what they spend their money on.

fike

Adventurer
I hate that stuff too. At least with Gaia you can get all your data out. With standards like GPX, you can export everything and use a different mapping app. Other subscription software locks you in with file formats...msoffice, photoshop and illustrator are a couple that come to mind.

As 1Louder mentions, they need to make money too. If we want software to advance, we either pay subscriptions or we pay with advertisements.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
You do not need the subscription, having the subscription for gaia pro just gives you access for a few extra features that are not at all required to use the software.

GaiaPro allows you to:
Print the maps you make (i've wished i still had this feature a few times)
Get access to additional map sources (i had gaiapro for awhile but only found 1 or 2 of these helpful but not necessary)
Layer Maps and adjust opacity (this can be helpful if you are importing custom maps or PDFs and want to overlay, or to see the differences in a trail route among different sources, but not a necessary feature)
Customize your waypoint icons (can only do it one icon at a time and its tedious, so not worth it)
Get weather info on your map (if you are somewhere with data service there are free options to get weather)
Dedicated Email and phone support (you should be able to get the support you need on their reddit or here or other places)

tl;dr
no, you don't need to get a GaiaPro subscription to use GaiaGPS

you are mistaken

I would gladly pay for updates as I need them, but Would not want to pay a subscription fee. The difference to me is this some updates I do not need . Take word or adobe photoshop for example. Both offered updates that were totally useless for me. One allowed for me to sign documents as a pdf. I prepare geologic reports so all I need is a simple pdf maker. so take a gps program, if it works plots my trails and I can save them that is all I need. but say the developer comes out with the ability to share trails with a different program or use google earth in real time. etc. I would gladly pay for that type of thing but until see what It can do I don't want to finance the programs diversion into something I don't need say "best hunting areas" just as a hunter probably doesn't need " most peaceful get aways"

e60ral

You will get any regular iOS or Android app update the same as if you are a subscriber, that is part of the app store

They may add subscriber only features that you don't get, if you want them you could subscribe at that point. You can subscribe or cancel any time you want.

without the subscription you can use your routes tracks in another program, you can download as .gps, .kml, or GEOjson. I don't know what using google earth in real time means, but you can download your route as KML.

you don't need a subscription if you don't want it

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have the basic Gaia and thought updates were free given you can re-download the software at any time once purchased. I do wish Gaia would give both the Apple and Android the same capabilities and features.

e60ral

they are, you will get any app update pushed through the android or apple app store because of how the app store works

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
It is a very simple concept to grasp. :coffee:

You purchase Gaia GPS for x dollars and whenever the company updates the application, you get the update for free (because you have purchased a license for the application).

They offer a subscription service called GaiaPro which gives you additional features. This is an optional service and it is totally up to you if you want to subscribe.

You can buy the application and never have to pay any more money if that is what you want to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles