WANTED: 3rd Gen 4Runner 4x4

portillagee

Observer
Hi everybody,

I'm posting here in the hopes of finding a 3rd gen 4Runner and hopefully to learn from anybody who's psyched on them.

I currently have a 2001 xtra cab Tacoma 4x4, which I have listed on CL. (https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6100152574.html) I like it a lot and love the cargo capacity when camping, climbing, snowboarding, etc. But I want a pass through and I'm starting to think about a vehicle I can put a baby seat in. This will be a daily driver, so mostly stock except for things that don't weight much. Maybe a front plate bumper and a lift with coilovers eventually. No crawling, but yes to washboard roads, light overlanding, and lots of snow.

I've been reading this incredible resource, 3rd Gen 4Runner Buyer's Guide, http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/82033-3rd-gen-4runner-buyers-guide.html. Ultimately it's made me want to find a '99 or '00 that has full, if not most of it's records, so I can know just where the vehicle is, health-wise. I'd like to take care of preventative maintenance and know how to prioritize that based on records.

I'm open to years outside of those I mentioned, but my reasons are that I don't want the traction control and vehicle stability control (TRAC and VSC), although I've started to read that people have modded in order to turn these off or have them be switched, and those are the final years with the rear E-locker. Thoughts?

I'm leaning toward a Limited because why not, I've driven very practical cars until now and can finally have nice things (albeit from almost 20 years ago). But the Limiteds often have body side-cladding in a different tone, which can make the vehicle look strange sometimes when you remove the running boards. Thoughts?

Any advice, however small, would be great, and if you happen to have a 4Runner like i've described that you'd like to sell, even better.

I haven't posted much but I want to say what an amazing resource the Expedition Portal forums are. It's incredible to be able to share such a vast amount of information and knowledge like we do. Or I should say like others do, I'm here to be quiet and learn. :bowdown:

Thanks.

I'm located in Oakland, Ca. and moving to Seattle by June 2017. Willing to travel for the right vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles