Flippac lid crackling when I lie on it

Sheils

Hi all, I bought a used FRP flippac (I think from 2012) and have been using it daily for about 5 months. Recently I've been hearing a crackling noise in the roof/bed platform when I'm sitting or moving on it a certain way. Today I heard a more substantial cracking sound. I've read about the torsion bar problems, but has anyone on here had a problem with the fiberglass cracking/giving out?

I'm 140 lbs and my dog is 70 lbs, which I would think is in the normal weight range, but we are using it every day so maybe these things give out...

homemade

Adventurer
Mine is a '12 and does this also - I think it is common when there is a point of pressure rather than more dispersed pressure. I wouldn't sit on the opened bed without a mattress to distribute the weight but I have never noticed any structural damage like cracks in the fiberglass.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Mine has done it too since I got it (used) I think it is the lack of glue between the two fiberglass layers and whatever material. I have not seen any damage from the noise.

chequamegon

Observer
Yep, mine has been doing it for 5 years, no problems. Its the top layer of fiberglass cracking its poor bond with the plywood insert.

billy bee

Adventurer
I think it is the lack of glue between the two fiberglass layers and whatever material.

The material is a honeycomb type of cardboard that is impregnated or sprayed with some kind of epoxy. So, I think the cracking sound is the normal cracking that that honeycomb stuff makes. Although I do wonder if each cracking sound suggests a little wear-and-tear on the lid. My FP is 15 years old and still cracks. It sounds a little unnerving, but my camper still functions as it did when I bought it 7 years ago.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles