Avalanche questions...

SGNellett

Adventurer
A few brief searches on the interwebz were inconclusive, so I will just ask a question of anyone who has owned an Avalanche. Can the mid-gate be folded down and leave the tonneau cover and the rear window in place?

I find it odd that there is no mention of this feature on any dealer website I've looked at for one of these vehicles...

Anything specific but not obvious I should be checking for on these vehicles if I were considering purchasing one?

XJLI

Adventurer
Yes it can. I looked at these for a while, couldn't find a good one in my price range.

Check for the normal Chevy rust; under the door sills, brake lines, etc.

SGNellett

Adventurer
I'm thinking it might make for a simple way to stealth camp/crash out for a nap on the road. Feet in the bed area, head in the cab.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm thinking it might make for a simple way to stealth camp/crash out for a nap on the road. Feet in the bed area, head in the cab.
I thought the exact same thing.
IMO the only problem with the Avalanche is that there aren't enough of them out there. I would love to have had an Avy instead of my Suburban but Avalanches with 200k are going for $11k and up if you can find them, at least around here they were when I was looking. I decided to go with the lower mileage 'Burb instead but if I'd been able to find a lower mileage Avalanche in my price range I would have been all over it.
It's a shame that Chevy decided to drop the Avalanche. IMO it was one of the most brilliant automotive inventions of recent years, combining the utility of a pickup with the passenger carrying capacity of an SUV and doing it all in a reasonably small package.

Stryder106

Explorer
I've owned my Av since new (2002). Yes - you can drop the midgate and leave the window in and the caps on. I disagree on the number of Avs out there - Chevy made them for 14 years - that's a lot of trucks with only minor changes (except for the front end config). Most parts are interchangeable with a Tahoe or Suburban. the downside to one of these is the lack of aftermarket support. Since it was essentially a configurable SUV - the aftermarket never jumped on it. However, it also makes it a unique overlanding vehicle. But, I have to fab damn near everything. But - the config of the Avalanche provides a lot of unique solutions to other people's issues: The saddle bags allow for a lot of storage, the caps create a lockable space, the fold down midgate allows access to the front of the bed eliminating the need for a bed slider or drawer system. I love mine, but the mods have been extensive.

SGNellett

Adventurer
I've owned my Av since new (2002). Yes - you can drop the midgate and leave the window in and the caps on. I disagree on the number of Avs out there - Chevy made them for 14 years - that's a lot of trucks with only minor changes (except for the front end config). Most parts are interchangeable with a Tahoe or Suburban. the downside to one of these is the lack of aftermarket support. Since it was essentially a configurable SUV - the aftermarket never jumped on it. However, it also makes it a unique overlanding vehicle. But, I have to fab damn near everything. But - the config of the Avalanche provides a lot of unique solutions to other people's issues: The saddle bags allow for a lot of storage, the caps create a lockable space, the fold down midgate allows access to the front of the bed eliminating the need for a bed slider or drawer system. I love mine, but the mods have been extensive.

Thanks for the info! I assume the back seat does some sort of fold and tumble forward to allow the gate to drop into the cab, right?

XJINTX

Explorer
I always wondered about Avalanche and such vehicles. I see my bed of my truck move separately from the cab in my mirrors. It allows for some flex I would presume? Can't do that with an Avalanche so what gives first?

SGNellett

Adventurer
I always wondered about Avalanche and such vehicles. I see my bed of my truck move separately from the cab in my mirrors. It allows for some flex I would presume? Can't do that with an Avalanche so what gives first?

It's basically a Suburban with the back lopped off and converted to a bed, so it is should be as rugged as a Burb, I'd think. I'm not all that concerned about articulation or body flex, I'm mainly only interested in 4 wheel drive because of the winters around here, it likely would go much farther off road on purpose than my Town Car has by accident...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Thanks for the info! I assume the back seat does some sort of fold and tumble forward to allow the gate to drop into the cab, right?
I believe it's exactly like the Suburban and Tahoe: The bottom cushions flip forward to lay against the back of the two front seats, and then the back cushions flop down to make a flat load deck. IIRC they are also split so if you wanted to you could lay half the seat down (giving you 8' to the back of the tailgate) while still retaining a single seat on the passenger side.
One thing I don't know is how "dust sealed" the back of the Avalanche is. Can any Avalanche owners chime in? Does dust get in around the tailgate?

SGNellett

Adventurer
I believe it's exactly like the Suburban and Tahoe: The bottom cushions flip forward to lay against the back of the two front seats, and then the back cushions flop down to make a flat load deck. IIRC they are also split so if you wanted to you could lay half the seat down (giving you 8' to the back of the tailgate) while still retaining a single seat on the passenger side.
One thing I don't know is how "dust sealed" the back of the Avalanche is. Can any Avalanche owners chime in? Does dust get in around the tailgate?

[FONT=&quot]Do you mean that the mid-gate is split as well?[/FONT]

Stryder106

Explorer
Seat bottoms fold forward, Seat tops fold down. Mid gate drops down. When you fold the seatbacks down - do NOT have your finger(s) underneath or they will get cut off - ask me how I know.......I had to have the meat of my ring finger from the knocukle forward reattached.

Stryder106

Explorer
Body doesn't flex - it's a single piece as mentioned - like a suburban or Tahoe. But, Jeeps, Land Cruisers, and Land Rovers don't flex either so I'm good :) If you are going to overland one of these - there are some weakpoints that you should address. My 02 Avalanche is my build thread - but that could give you some ideas on tie rods, transmission, etc. Good luck.

SGNellett

Adventurer
Body doesn't flex - it's a single piece as mentioned - like a suburban or Tahoe. But, Jeeps, Land Cruisers, and Land Rovers don't flex either so I'm good :) If you are going to overland one of these - there are some weakpoints that you should address. My 02 Avalanche is my build thread - but that could give you some ideas on tie rods, transmission, etc. Good luck.

My version of over landing will consist mainly of driving into scout camp sites and unloading gear, occasionally towing a small utility trailer and usual homeowner type of chores...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94