Name TBC - Sprinter 516 4x4 Build

Anton2k3

Adventurer
The time has come, to start our third camper van build. We sold our Mercedes Vario camper a few weeks ago to a fellow member. So, on Friday we picked up our new (to us) base vehicle. Its a 2012 sprinter 516 4x4. We went all the way to Ireland (from London) to collect it, as it was the lowest milage one which we have seen (they were sold at auction to traders from a fleet company, this one was the lowest mileage on to be auctioned off).

So, without further a do, here she is:

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

Spec and suppliers to follow, for the most part its all been decided.

docka

Adventurer
Nice. I'm considering one of these for next build too. I'd be real interested in prices for your last rig and this one if you could PM me Anton, just to give me an idea?
How does it drive compared to the vario beasts? are they selective 2WD/4WD? presume being over 3.5t it's limited...

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I'd be interested in where you sourced of the van too. I wonder who in Ireland is using 4x4 Sprinters?

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Nice. I'm considering one of these for next build too. I'd be real interested in prices for your last rig and this one if you could PM me Anton, just to give me an idea?
How does it drive compared to the vario beasts? are they selective 2WD/4WD? presume being over 3.5t it's limited...

It drives so well, much like a car really. Has cruise control, AC etc too, so very comfortable. It's selectable 4WD. They are a little noisier than standard sprinters in terms of drive train, but not too bad. Still a lot quieter in the cab than the vario was.

Yea it's limited at the moment as it's classed as HGV. When it's registered as campervan I'll approach Mercedes to get it removed. From what I can ascertain, there is no requirement for limited on campervans over 3.5t but under 7.5. Can anyone else weigh in on that?

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hey iain, I got it from a place called bridge commercials near Belfast. It came from the UK though. The only ones of these I have seen for sale in the last 6 months have been from the same fleet operated by Iron Mountain. There are only a few left now. The rarity im sure will sting us when it comes to maintenance costs, but worth it for the comfortable 4x4 solution.

I'd be interested in where you sourced of the van too. I wonder who in Ireland is using 4x4 Sprinters?

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Yea it's limited at the moment as it's classed as HGV. When it's registered as campervan I'll approach Mercedes to get it removed. From what I can ascertain, there is no requirement for limited on campervans over 3.5t but under 7.5. Can anyone else weigh in on that?

I researched this and found that in Ireland (and I think the UK) there is no requirement for a limiter if its a camper. However, in most European countries you have to obey the HGV speed limits.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Thanks for that Ian, I plan to approach Merc with the VOSA requirements (or lack of) printout and my V5 in the hope that they agree. Unfortunately its only merc who can remove it, needs an ECU update.

docka

Adventurer
I'm sure we've been here before Ian but remind me which fuse if you can remember?...

Yes I looked into it too and limiter only required for commercials <7.5t so once DVLA has re-classified it, should be fine as long as Merc play ball...

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Did they say why they wouldn't do it? Did you escalate it up the chain to someone in Germany? I'm pretty sure I'm going to have the same problem when I need it doing.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I did push it with the local distributor but I didn't escalate it. Primarily because I found that the fuel consumption was so ridiculously high at anything over 90KPH (when I pullled the fuse) and felt it wasn't worth it

Anton2k3

Adventurer
What sort of MPG are you getting with the limiter in place? I got 33mpg on the way back from Ireland in the Sprinter, mostly motorway miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles