Northstar TC800 - has anyone added a Foxwing awning to their camper?

Alibaba

Another question, another post. ; )

Has anyone outfitted their TC650/800 with a Foxwing awning? The wrap around from the back to the side looks ideal. If so, how was it mounted - on roof racks, or on the camper itself?

Any other thoughts on awning options (besides the ones Northstar offers)?

Thanks,

Ali

Joeprunc

Observer
Been searching awnings quite a bit.

Love the idea of a "Batwing style" awning. Although the foxwing would not be my first choice. I have dogs, and sometimes need to keep them tied up, with all the straps and legs that a foxwing always requires i could see them taking otu the awning.

Check out this site...I like the matra (but hell that's expensive). I may go for the swift.
http://www.equipt1.com/c/awnings

The reason I like these canopies better than something like the ARB basic one is the easier capability of rolling up and storing the awning. I talked with a few folks at the MX track who have something like the ARB 8' and said the hardly use it, because you need two people and two stools to roll it up and attach back to the camper. The swift seems to be a lot easier for one person to pack up.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Had the Batwing on an LC Troop Carrier we camped in in Australia last month. Liked it a lot. Can't see it working on our Northstar since it would be so high to clear the door.

Rust

I was thinking about mounting a roof rack on my Northstar. I contacted their customer service line and got in contact with Billy, their sales manager. Super helpful guy, even though I bought mine on the used market. He talked with me about weight restrictions and even sent me a diagram showing where the roof supports are located. You might consider doing the same. It would take the guess work out of mounting locations.

My 850SC came with a Fiamma awning mounted on the side. I don't really like it. It is fragile and kind of a PITA to use and setup. I've only seen one Batwing in action and it was really slick. I think you're pointed in the right direction.

kerry

Expedition Leader
What weight restrictions were you told about and where are the roof supports? I have my roof racks mounted to 'gutters' on the side of the roof on my TS1000. I've been carrying up to about 160lbs up there pretty regularly

Rust

From memory, about 200 pounds recommended maximum. He said the limitation is the lifting mechanism.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I talked to Heco about the limits on their lifting system. They said no to a canoe on a rack stating it was too much weight. I ignored them and have been cranking up two canoes or 3 kayaks on a regular basis for 9 years. I extended the length of the crank handle to deal with the additional weight. The only casualty so far has been a tooth which broke off the gear on the handle. Apparently this must be fairly common since when I set out to replace it is discovered they were selling a 'heavy duty' replacement. I suppose one day I might have to replace a more substantial part of the lifting mechanism but 9 years is a pretty long time for it to work perfectly well.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Mine are mounted just in from the edge on top with through bolts to a plate inside the camper. The mounts are triangular in shape supplied by Coleman at the time and using Yakima 86" bars.
American Sales in LA installed them.
I've had three longboards and two shortboards in total up there.

bobmono

Observer
Been searching awnings quite a bit.

Love the idea of a "Batwing style" awning. Although the foxwing would not be my first choice. I have dogs, and sometimes need to keep them tied up, with all the straps and legs that a foxwing always requires i could see them taking otu the awning.

Check out this site...I like the matra (but hell that's expensive). I may go for the swift.
http://www.equipt1.com/c/awnings

The reason I like these canopies better than something like the ARB basic one is the easier capability of rolling up and storing the awning. I talked with a few folks at the MX track who have something like the ARB 8' and said the hardly use it, because you need two people and two stools to roll it up and attach back to the camper. The swift seems to be a lot easier for one person to pack up.

The swift looks awesome - but it doesn't look like the legs are long enough if this is mounted on a roof rack or the side of the roof. I would love to get one of these...

kerry

Expedition Leader
I ended up buying a Bus Depot awning and used it for the first time this past weekend. Seems like a good awning at a decent price. I don't like the way the sides attach to the awning once it is up. You have to remove the fiberglass arch poles and slide the grommet on the side over the arch pole pin. It's not an easy process. I'll modify that somehow. Awning with sides kept about 8 of us warm and dry during the rain last weekend.

Joeprunc

Observer
The swift looks awesome - but it doesn't look like the legs are long enough if this is mounted on a roof rack or the side of the roof. I would love to get one of these...
I was thinking of mounting on the side of the camper below the roof. I think it would be a pita to open if it was coming off the roof. I'm only 5'9" and definitely would need a ladder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier