I'm considering the Front Runner Footwell Water Tank...

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies
ExPo,

I've been considering the FR Footwell Water Tank for some time (https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/water-solutions/front-runner-footwell-water-tank.html). It seems to be a decent water storage solution for my double cab Tacoma. I usually spend 3-4 days in the bush at a time, so it meets the one-gallon-per-person-per-day rule for my wife and I.

That being said, my only hang up is this - will I still be able to flip the bottom portion of my rear seats forward to fold them flat? It appears that this tank may interfere with that function. I generally flip my rear seats forward when camping as the flat storage space is ideal for our backpacks and personal items (coats, toiletry items, etc.). Any input from a second gen double cab Tacoma owner running this tank would be very welcome.

V/R,

-Stephen

rayra

Expedition Leader
It's only 3-4gal at that point, you just tip it and slosh the water to the pickup hose side.

It's a neat solution and there's at least two members here that have it, IIRC. One was a Suburu?

MNmtb

The tank has plastic pipe fittings on each side for connection of a hose and tap. (Hose kits and taps are not included)

rayra

Expedition Leader
Easy enough to get bungs / bulkhead fittings. usplastics.com has a lot of related parts options.

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies
I don't have that tank, but I'm almost certain you won't be able to flip the seats forward. A simple way to check would be to flip the cushion forward and measure the room underneath it, then compare that against the tank's height.

Also consider that give the tank's raised middle portion, water caught in the "other" half of the tank may not be accessible.

I thought about that measurement and figured the cushions would have some "give in them". You've motivated me to look into it further and break out the tape measure. I will say, from past experiences with other FR tanks - owning one and checking out some others in person - they run slightly larger than the specs listed on FR's site. I would say maybe .5" (if not a bit more) IIRC.

I'm going to check it out and report back. Additionally, I have a contact that will be installing this tank in a few weeks. He too has a second gen DC, so I'll know for certain at that time whether the rear seats will fold flat with the tank installed. I was hoping someone on ExPo was already in the same boat and could give me a definite yes or no. I've had the tank saved in my FR shopping cart for awhile...

Last edited:

Johnainny

Observer
I have one in my Jeep XJ. It works great but I can not flip up my seats all the way. I ran some clear hose under the seat and out the back and tied the hose into a cheap 12v RV on demand self priming water pump and the whole thing works great. The sprayer is a cheap one that you use for your kitchen sink. We wash dishes, fill water bottles and clean off with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles