which is better? trailer tongue height raised by axle flip, or drop shank on truck?

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
  • It's been 4 years since I got my trailer on the road, after 2 build years. I'm still modifying, strengthening, adding more "must-haves", even today. Still haven't sold my Chevelle to finance a 4wd, which will be the intended tow vehicle, so I can finally set the trailer ride height and level out the nose-up tongue angle I have now. My 2500 HD sits fairly tall, with extra rear booster springs for the heavy loads and car-hauler I used to tow. I have a Weight Distributing hitch set up at a compromise height, where I can tow any of three trailers I have, at a moments notice, without adjustments. The Puma travel trailer sits perfectly level, my car-hauler a little high (until loaded with a car or truck), and the little squareback I built, sits even higher. I have moved plenty of weight forward, in an attempt to level the angle between truck and trailer, but it's still high. I use a single bar of my WD system to further level the two, but even though my trailer now weighs 2k lbs, it's not enough to pull the nose down all the way.
  • I don't really have a towing problem with the height mismatch. The trailer tows fine, though I sense a "choppiness" over some surfaces, but it's silky smooth at highway speeds. With the WD bar attached (it always is), there is no swaying, bouncing, jiggling of the trailer at all; tractor-trailers passing does not affect it, nor do bumps in the road...I never see the trailer position vary in my rear view mirror. But, I wonder if I need to achieve the level stance, just in case I can't use the WD hitch as a cover-up for the improper angle, and have to use a regular coupler ball system.
  • I've added taller springs, and taller trailer tires (actually LT Grabber AT2 tires, taller and wider than the ST tires were) along with more tongue weight, since initial set-up. Those changes have lessened the height differential, but not all of it. Since I'm beginning to think that I may tow it with the truck for a long time, before I get the 4wd vehicle, should I even worry about changing the angle? or go ahead and fix it now, and modify that change later, if the 4wd does ever magically appear? A trailer axle flip would solve it, but if I get a short, small tired 4wd, what then? And if I get a deep drop shank for my WD system, then I'll have to adjust it every time I tow the other trailers. Or just wait, tow it as is, and just be glad it tows so well, when it really shouldn't.
  • NOSE-UP TOWING ANGLE NEEDS TO BE CHANGED.jpgperfect towing manners despite nose-up tongue angle

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
Axle flip. What kind of coupler are you using now?
  • I use an Attwood straight tongue coupler with yoke latch (2 inch ball), rated for 5000 lbs. I like the positive latching action; it snaps closed with a positive feel, almost as secure as a Bulldog coupler, but cheaper. The coupler was welded very securely to my 3" x 3"x .1875" tongue, by a professional, not me.
  • Attwood straight tongue coupler with yoke latch.jpg Attwood straight tongue coupler with yoke latch

Last edited:

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles