60 Gallons of the Arizona Strip

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Glad you made it back, sounds like you have a great Solo Adventure. Always makes for great stories to tell your grandkids (or for that matter fellow Overlanders) around a campfire.

Thanks for the kind words, we'll meet someday on the trail,

Fred
Explorer 1

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
Fred, Thanks for the kind help! It seems I passed on all the really challenging parts: Grand Gulch Canyon, Bar 10 to Mount Logan shortcut, western side of Whitmore Canyon. I've got to go back with others to do these. I'm going to post a run for this in September or October as weather permits. I hope we can meet up, hopefully on the Unita's in Utah in May.

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Fred, Thanks for the kind help! It seems I passed on all the really challenging parts: Grand Gulch Canyon, Bar 10 to Mount Logan shortcut, western side of Whitmore Canyon. I've got to go back with others to do these. I'm going to post a run for this in September or October as weather permits. I hope we can meet up, hopefully on the Unita's in Utah in May.

It can still be pretty warm in Sept in the "Strip". Nice thing about October is that the evenings can start cooling off and many of the other visitors of the area are back at work or school and it's beginning to be considered "off season", that is unless your a hunter. Let me know as soon as you secure a date as I start early planning my calendar for trips.

The 4-wheel Friends will be the best source for info on the Utah trip.

By the way the drive out to Whitmore Point is moderate at worse, really not difficult at all. It has a small camping area just below the point in a protected area. You get a great view of the Whitmore Canyon and the the Paraschant Canyon on the other side. On the horizon is the Kelly Point peninsula.

IMG_2600_zpsjwyvbiz4.jpg

Thanks again,
Fred
Explorer 1

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
Are you talking about the western side of the canyon--where I have the finger on the road sign? Or further out on the eastern side of the canyon in the area where I camped? I'm very interested in the western side of the canyon and would like to know about the road there. I turned back at a deep gultch in the road when my electricity went out for the second time.
That is a gorgeous photo. I'd like to know where you were when it was taken? It looks like the valley were the Bar 10 is up the valley on the right. Correct?

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Whitmore Point is due west from the canyon where you camped overlooking the river where some of the rafters coming down from Lees Ferry disembark. The Whitmore Point road isn't on the Park Services map but does show up on the BLM map without any shown number. The road begins between Mule Point and the right turn toward Bar 10 and the canyon. Last time I was there I recall it only took us 20 minutes to get from Mule Point to Whitmore point.

The picture is taken from Whitmore Point looking west at Parashant and Andrus Canyon. I would need to turn around 180 degrees to view Whitmore Canyon. On the 2016 Trip report I showed the Google Map picture both the Whitmore Point & Whitmore Canyon roads. There is also pictures looking both east (Whitmore Canyon) and west (Parashant Canyon) here is the link to that part of the report.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/157292-Arizona-Strip-2016-trip-report/page4

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Looked around and found this picture taken from Whitmore point looking toward Whitmore Canyon. You can just see on the left in the cloud shadow the road coming from Bar 10 and above it the Pa's Pocket trail, in the black lava flow. The Colorado River canyon is on the far right.

IMG_4358_zpsi6n6xsgg.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

NMBruce

Adventurer
Congrats on completing the trip and doing it alone, you had a good vehicle and luck with you(clutch, maybe more). Thanks for the write up, I really enjoyed it.

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
Thanks a lot. But I haven't posted day 10 (Toroweap) or Day 11 (SB Point) yet, both of which are more interesting than my mechanical breakdown in St. George. I just got delayed with family matters and work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

briferg

Observer
Hi Bruce, the only links that worked for me was Day 6 and 7,8,9 all of the others have this message:
Error (404)
We can't find the page you're looking for.

I enjoyed the pages I could see though! You said you didn't want to retype the text, you can always copy and paste from the PDF.
I just saw the link with all of the days in them! Thanks!

Last edited:

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne