60 Gallons of the Arizona Strip

Gs WK2

Still waiting for your last report :). Thanks for sharing your adventure. I am thinking I may plan an Oct trip to this area.

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
Day 11 Run Report for 60 Gallons of the Arizona Strip

Hello Fellow Explorers and Overlanders,

The good news is that I have finally finished Day 11 just 2 months after the end of the actual trip. The bad news is that I only have one more day to go.

Sorry for not getting to this sooner. I have already done a pretty good trip in the meantime to the north east corner of Utah to a range called the Uintahs. I'll get to that report in a short while.

Day 11 was the section from Toroweap to SB Point. It was a short leg, but due to a wrong turn, it was a full 7 hours of four wheeling. Here is the link:

https://u30376230.dl.dropboxusercon... Strip April 2017/9. 60 Gallons--Day 11.pdf\

When I finally made it, it was all worth the effort. Enjoy.

Bruce Boogaard

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Don't worry about when you post something new. I wrote up some of my old dog tales (Tails)? for a friend that was in a hospital for a knee replacement. She needed something better than the TV to occupy her time. She would read one a day even if I sent her 3 per night. They got around to friends and now I need to write to the whole series of them. Another woman want's to illustrate them and have them published. Me published? I'm a nail pounder and I wrench on Jeeps. I'm not a writer.

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
Day 12 (and final) Trip Report to 60 Gallons of the Arizona Strip

Hello All,
Here is the final installment of my trip--the Day 12 Trip Report.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u... Strip April 2017/10. 60 Gallons--Day 12.pdf

It covers the leg from SB Point to the end of 65 Gallons, about 15 miles shy of Fredonia. I was able to include some drone shots of SB Point, and I put in a lot of GPS data with screen shots from Garmin Basecamp.

Hope you all enjoy it!

Stay tuned for my short(er) report on my trip through the Uintah Mountains in northeast Utah.

Regards,

Bruce Boogaard

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
A little help....................

Hello All,
Here is the final installment of my trip--the Day 12 Trip Report.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u... Strip April 2017/10. 60 Gallons--Day 12.pdf

It covers the leg from SB Point to the end of 65 Gallons, about 15 miles shy of Fredonia. I was able to include some drone shots of SB Point, and I put in a lot of GPS data with screen shots from Garmin Basecamp.

Regards,

Bruce Boogaard

Nice write up, but better the actual trip and all you experienced. Glad you could do it!

In reading your trip report, the part about a possible future trip where you would travel down from Mesquite or River Road to the Grand Wash Bay, Tassi Ranch and then over to either the Grand Gulch Mine or the Savantic Mine trail up to the top of the Grand Wash Cliffs, I noted that you show in Pink a trail from Tassi Ranch over to the Grand Gulch Canyon. You label it "Grand Gulch Mine Start 1" The Park Service has closed all these trails from the lower Grand Wash Bay and Tassi Ranch heading west toward the Grand Gulch Mine and Savantic Mine. Why they did this is still a question even the BLM ranger I spoke with questioned. Due to this closure the BLM a few years ago re-opened an older trail we call the "Black Willow springs" trail. A BLM Ranger drove it in his UTV and plotted various GPS points and Brown stakes to help one find and follow it. Back on one of my earlier trips we were the first group to follow this route. You can see this route on Day 2, Part 1 of my earlier report, titled "Arizona Strip - 64 Gallons later" found at:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/60286-Arizona-Strip-64-gallons-later

If you read the report, I mention that by accident I labeled it the Black widow trail.

On a more recent trip I drove part of this trail and it's a bit more worn and easier to follow. On our original trip we used this trail to traverse from the Grand Wash Bay to the Savantic Mine trail.

Bruce, keep in mind that both the Savantic and Grand Gulch mine trails will require some "rock crawling". There may even be some required winching on the Grand Gulch mine trail. On a more recent trip, I was surprised on how much the Savantic mine trail had deteriorated from water erosion from this past winter.

If any of this doesn't make sense or you have questions, you know how to reach me.

On another note we just returned from our 10 day Utah trip, still a lot of snow on the upper trails. More later.

Again, good write up and hope to pass your way on the trails one of these days.

Thanks,

Fred
Explorer 1

Last edited:

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
Thanks for the Help

Fred,
Thanks for the correction. I sure as heck would not want anyone to waste precious gas on a trail they could not get through on. That could be a bit dangerous. I hope to revise my report with a link to yours and also I hope to create a GPS Track for the Black Willow Springs trail that other people can use in the future.

By the way, you also inspired my interest in the Unitahs. While I could not do the trip with your group due to timing issues, I did the North Slope Road a week earlier with my brother who lives out that way. I'm actually going to be working on that report next as it was a very interesting and underexplored (at least in my experience) area that permits a long, multi-day overland trip.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your writeup also.

Regards,

Bruce

Thanks for the great report. I was in the area myself in early August with the intent of going to Point Sublime or Toroweap but it had been raining for days and I decided against it.
Questions:
1) You have a few pictures of a map in which you are pointing to various features. What map is that?
2) I drive a Subaru Outback. It's slightly lifted, with off road tires, skid plates, towing points, 100 miles of extra gas, recovery gear, full sized spare, etc. Think it would have any trouble getting to any of these places?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles