Kinetic rope recovery options

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Looking at options to extend my Kinetic rope for recovery over my 30' ropes capacity.

Talked with the manufacture of my rope and they were good with using a tow strap, kinetic/recovery strap, or another kinetic rope as long as it had the same shock rating. My vehicle weight is at 6950lbs wet and following the 3X shock rule of thumb my rope is rated at ~24,000lbs.

Currently I carry a 30' kinetic rope rated ~24K, 30' tow strap rated at ~30K, and would like to add another 25'-30' capacity.

I also have a synthetic winch with extension and needed tackle.

A winch has been proven ineffective on beach recoveries due the inability of secure the winching vehicle. In a couple of beach recoveries only a kinetic rope has been effective.

Options considered -
Another kinetic rope
kinetic/recovery strap
Tow strap

Looking for feedback from other with experience.

onetraveller

Adventurer
Winch is effective if you can anchor the other vehicle. I've used a third and sometimes fourth vehicle for anchors. You can also use a pull pal as an anchor for the winching vehicle.

I wouldn't use a synthetic winch line to extend your kinetic rope. The fibers aren't designed for large dynamic loads.

The best option for kinetic recovery would be either a longer kinetic rope, or hooking two or more of them together. You could do this simply by connecting the soft eyes. Do not connect them with a hard shackle. One of the bigger soft shackles should also be ok. I sell the ropes and could get you as long as you would like if you wanted to custom order one.

Mike

Topperfam

I don't see an issue with using the tow strap with the rope.

Two things you may want to consider are sand recovery boards (aluminum ones, Maxtrax, and knockoffs should all work fine in sand) or a sand anchor to use with your winch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting

After talking with manufactures that make all kind of straps/rope I went with another 30' Kinetic strap with 20% stretch. Max recovery capacity is now a 30' rope 30% stretch, 30' strap 20% stretch, and a 30' tow strap. Given me 80' with 15' of maximum stretch and a scary amount of Kinetic energy. I hope its never needed but I will now feel comfortable doing my remote beach runs.

For connecting strap and ropes I loop eye through eye with a rolled up mag in the eye to eye center to make disconnecting a breeze.

Sand ladders no workie in wet beach recovery. I have never used a sand anchor and I will not carry something that big with such limited specialized need.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Winch is effective if you can anchor the other vehicle. I've used a third and sometimes fourth vehicle for anchors. You can also use a pull pal as an anchor for the winching vehicle.

I wouldn't use a synthetic winch line to extend your kinetic rope. The fibers aren't designed for large dynamic loads.

The best option for kinetic recovery would be either a longer kinetic rope, or hooking two or more of them together. You could do this simply by connecting the soft eyes. Do not connect them with a hard shackle. One of the bigger soft shackles should also be ok. I sell the ropes and could get you as long as you would like if you wanted to custom order one.

Mike

Mike your site link in your sig does not seem to be active.

fireball

Explorer
LCP, what rope did you go with? Would like to add one to my arsenal, to pull my heavy 100 around with if/when needed.

Low_Sky

LCP, what rope did you go with? Would like to add one to my arsenal, to pull my heavy 100 around with if/when needed.

How much does your Cruiser weigh? Multiply by three. Buy a 30’ nylon rope or strap with a breaking strength equal to or a little more than that number. Don’t go overkill or the rope/strap won’t stretch like it is supposed to.

You can buy a recreational 4x4 recovery branded/marketed rope such as “Bubba” rope, or get one from any industrial rope or rigging supplier (the commercial tow truck industry isn’t buying hot green Bubba Ropes). I buy my snatch rope from Arctic Wire Rope in Anchorage (where I live), it’s boring white double braid nylon with black dipped eyes. No cool colors, but it works the same as the bright green/orange/red’white’n’blue “off-roading” marketed ropes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilbah

Adventurer
I have a question in this category- seeing the cost of some of the ropes like Bubba Rope I started looking at alternatives. And I see such varied weight claims of different kinetic ropes. Why is that? It would seem that dual braid nylon rope of the same size would all have the same capacity no? Or at least be pretty similar. But every manufacturer seems to have their own system of what it can handle and strength claims are all over the map. What am I missing? Is it lawyers drawing "advertised limits" in different places? What gives?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I have a question in this category- seeing the cost of some of the ropes like Bubba Rope I started looking at alternatives. And I see such varied weight claims of different kinetic ropes. Why is that? It would seem that dual braid nylon rope of the same size would all have the same capacity no? Or at least be pretty similar. But every manufacturer seems to have their own system of what it can handle and strength claims are all over the map. What am I missing? Is it lawyers drawing "advertised limits" in different places? What gives?
You can calculate the WLL for a kinetic rope and estimate it's elongation from double braid rope manufacturer's tech specs. In this case from the Cortland catalog.

Take for example 7/8" (which is what I use for a 5,350 lbs truck). The spliced MTS (mean tensile strength) is 28,300 lbs and ASME B30.9 requires 5:1 design margin to WLL meaning it would be rated 5,660 lbs if you follow the same standards used to determine WLL for pin shackles (a 3/4" shackle rating of 4.75 tons comes from ASME B30.26).

ASR says their 7/8" has MTS of 28,300 (thus agrees with Cortland) but gives a WLL of 9,000 lbs. They can do that since ASME B30.9 is for overhead lift synthetic slings, which is overly conservative for our purposes. I just mention 5:1 for consistency with shackles. Technically one could say a 3/4" pin shackle could handle more than 4.75 tons, that number only being relevant in an overhead lift. So in the same way a reseller of shackles could say 9.5 tons is the WLL for their pin shackle and probably be safe but that would have to be to their own standard and not ASME so there's risk they'd assume.

With my truck 5,350 lbs represents about 19% of MBL (minimum breaking load, MBL as I understand is interchangeable with MBS). So I'm at 19% of MBL and thus expect roughly 12% elongation if full GVW is required. In reality a recovery usually takes less, so say perhaps 50% of GVW, which is roughly 10% of MBL or about 8% stretch in this hypothetical.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 6.53.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 6.54.32 PM.png

Last edited:

frans

Adventurer
The longer you go with a kinetic rope, the more the stretch is simply absorbed by the rope and not transferred to the vehicle.
I know that one trick is to use a car tire with chains attached to each side. I watched a Ford ranger yank out a fully loaded one ton truck using this method lol

Reactions: WVI

Wilbah

Adventurer
You can calculate the WLL for a kinetic rope and estimate it's elongation from double braid rope manufacturer's tech specs. In this case from the Cortland catalog.

Take for example 7/8" (which is what I use for a 5,350 lbs truck). The spliced MTS (mean tensile strength) is 28,300 lbs and ASME B30.9 requires 5:1 design margin to WLL meaning it would be rated 5,660 lbs if you follow the same standards used to determine WLL for pin shackles (a 3/4" shackle rating of 4.75 tons comes from ASME B30.26).

ASR says their 7/8" has MTS of 28,300 (thus agrees with Cortland) but gives a WLL of 9,000 lbs. They can do that since ASME B30.9 is for overhead lift synthetic slings, which is overly conservative for our purposes. I just mention 5:1 for consistency with shackles. Technically one could say a 3/4" pin shackle could handle more than 4.75 tons, that number only being relevant in an overhead lift. So in the same way a reseller of shackles could say 9.5 tons is the WLL for their pin shackle and probably be safe but that would have to be to their own standard and not ASME so there's risk they'd assume.

With my truck 5,350 lbs represents about 19% of MBL (minimum breaking load, MBL as I understand is interchangeable with MBS). So I'm at 19% of MBL and thus expect roughly 12% elongation if full GVW is required. In reality a recovery usually takes less, so say perhaps 50% of GVW, which is roughly 10% of MBL or about 8% stretch in this hypothetical.

View attachment 647476
View attachment 647477
Thanks Dave! Good info there....appreciate it.

WOODY2

Adventurer
The longer you go with a kinetic rope, the more the stretch is simply absorbed by the rope and not transferred to the vehicle.
I know that one trick is to use a car tire with chains attached to each side. I watched a Ford ranger yank out a fully loaded one ton truck using this method lol
Sounds a little scary to me.

Joe917

Explorer
we carry 150' of one inch nylon braid, double or quadruple as needed. Video is us pulling a 26 ton fully loaded bus out of a ditch in Patagonia, I had to take about a 4' start to get started. There is plenty of stretch in nylon braid (static line) to absorb shock. No shackles, knots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles