Off Road Camp Trailer Build

Fursphere

Observer
This build just keeps getting better. :)

Have you thought about a skid plate for the water tank underneath? If nothing more than a guard from rocks getting kicked up by the FJ? I don't know if you wheel the FJ hard or not, but it would really be a bummer to crack the tank while out in the wild.

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Truly stellar build sir. It looks great being so appropriately proportionate to the rig and is just, overall, a very competently executed build (and prime choice on the SCS wheels).

I'm curious how you finished attaching the 14 gauge skins. Looks as if you just left it tacked up, blended the tack welds and sealed it on the interior of the panels? I'm currently reaching the point where I need to skin my trailer and have gone back in forth whether to try welding the entirety of the skin perimeter, stitch weld short sections then seal or tack and seal, like I believe you chose to do.

Care to share your thoughts on how the tack and seal route seems to be fairing now that you have some mileage on the unit, anything you'd change? Also, what sealant did you go with? Any info on these specifics would be greatly useful in helping me get past my fear of "undergoing it" when I skin mine this weekend.

Jake

furbucket

Observer
Awesome trailer!
I too would like to hear your thoughts on how you attached your skins...

Sent from an evil pocket calculator with a flashy screen

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Looks great! Have you had any issues with stability once at a campsite with everything deployed? I know it's fundamentally bottom heavy but still... just curious.

tte30m3

Adventurer
Is it my monitor or is there an arc to that axle beam?

It's pre-cambered. Many trailer axles are like that.

Where did you score that faucet ?

Amazon. It's a pot filler, so no temperature, just on and off.

This build just keeps getting better. :)

Have you thought about a skid plate for the water tank underneath? If nothing more than a guard from rocks getting kicked up by the FJ? I don't know if you wheel the FJ hard or not, but it would really be a bummer to crack the tank while out in the wild.

Thanks! Yes, it's on my short list of things to do! Should be pretty easy to make something up for it! It will also protect the fittings on the ends of the tank.

That is beautiful.

Thanks!

Truly stellar build sir. It looks great being so appropriately proportionate to the rig and is just, overall, a very competently executed build (and prime choice on the SCS wheels).

I'm curious how you finished attaching the 14 gauge skins. Looks as if you just left it tacked up, blended the tack welds and sealed it on the interior of the panels? I'm currently reaching the point where I need to skin my trailer and have gone back in forth whether to try welding the entirety of the skin perimeter, stitch weld short sections then seal or tack and seal, like I believe you chose to do.

Care to share your thoughts on how the tack and seal route seems to be fairing now that you have some mileage on the unit, anything you'd change? Also, what sealant did you go with? Any info on these specifics would be greatly useful in helping me get past my fear of "undergoing it" when I skin mine this weekend.

Jake

Hey there. Yes, the skins are just tacked. With the 2x2 .120 frame, they really don't add much support or strength. I used 1" x 1/8" flat stock metal to edge the skins and hid the tack welds. After I painted everything, I used black silicon to seal every crack and seam on it.

I'm happy with how it came out, and I'd do it again.

very nice overall setup!!!!!

Thank you!

Very well done, inspiring

Thanks!

Looks great! Have you had any issues with stability once at a campsite with everything deployed? I know it's fundamentally bottom heavy but still... just curious.

It's very stable, I can't detect any movement or rocking when up in the tent or using the kitchen. Usually we only use the front leveling jack, then one in the back. We haven't needed 2 in the back yet.

tte30m3

Adventurer
Just took the trailer to Colorado and it did great! Even took it on some 12,000' passes!

DSC00982.jpg

DSC01217.jpg

DSC01545.jpg

kyzooper

Getting ready to skin the trailer!

Got the 3 jack mounts welded on and all other welds burned in. Took the fenders off as they will be attached to the 14g skin once it's on.

20170501_165242.jpg

20170501_165255.jpg

Will be skinning the trailer this afternoon. More pictures to come soon!

Hey mate what brand are the jack mounts any chance you have a website for them???

Function > Form

Subscribed!

We are modifying our vintage canvas tent trailer (non-pop up) this winter and you've given me a ton of inspiration.

Great work on everything (including the FJ and garage), you are clearly detail-oriented. Nice to see your wife working/wheeling together with you, it's fun to share your hobby with your SO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles