benefits of the RTT canopy?

bhawkins0617

Hi all,

I'm new here but have read many, many threads in my research to find the "perfect " RTT for my family. We are two adults and 2 kids (9 and 12), so we basically need one of the biggest styles made. We have been leaning towards the Tepui Autana XL or 23 Zero Byron, both which have the extended canopy space, but no additional floor space over say the Tepui Kukenam XL or similar models from other companies. So, at this point we're leaning towards the Kukenam, as it is just less tent to manage and put away. Also, I'm thinking that perhaps that canopy "catches" wind a little easier. Is that true? We live at high altitude in the mountains and sometimes the wind is fierce!

Any thoughts on the benefits or disadvantages of either style? Or thoughts on the best tent for my family? I'm all ears!

fjmario

Adventurer
By canopy do you mean the annex that covers the ladder area?
If so, I believe the annex is a good addition because it allows you to change into other clothes, or kick off your shoes and leave things in there rather than in the tent.

*I do not currently own a RTT but I have been doing some research as I plan to purchase one very soon.

Box Rocket

For a family I would definitely suggest the Autana XL. As you know the sleeping footprint is the same as the Kukenam. But with the extended canopy you'll cover the ladder and have a large annex included that could easily sleep 3 more adults if you ever took people along with you. The annex will give you a place to get out of the weather/sun, a place to store gear. It's large enough that you can have your camp kitchen inside and cook meals out of the wind and keep from getting sand in your food. You'll be able to change clothes standing up instead of trying to pull your pants on lying down in the tent. Also (your wife will thank you), you can put your camp toilet inside the annex at night so no wandering out into the woods in the dark.
I have the Kukenam XL, and a (standard size) Autana Ruggedized and my wife always uses the Autana because of the annex.
I see you're fairly new to the forum. If you are not aware, I offer a 10% Discount to forum members on Tepui tents. Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help. You're also welcome to call my cell 801-710-8110 and chat about options.
Adam

CyprusTM

I am also looking at a rtt for my family of 4 will watch this for any input from other owners. I'm looking at the Autana XL however is the Ruggerized worth the extra 400$? Budget is tight, and with the Canadian/US exchange rate that's big. Another option is the CVT Mt. Denali Standard Stargazer Pioneer, however i must research it more. Cheers

Last edited:

Box Rocket

I am also looking at a rtt for my family of 4 will watch this for any input from other owners. I'm looking at the Autana XL however is the Ruggerized worth the extra 400$? Budget is tight, and with the Canadian/US exchange rate that's big. Another option is the CVT Mt. Denali Standard Stargazer Pioneer, however i must research it more. Cheers

The Ruggedized models are going to give you better construction and materials with a few extra features (i.e. Anti-condensation mat included etc) and will have better long term durability especially if used in harsh conditions.
However, the standard models are very robust tents and are 4-season capable. Whether or not the extra cost is worth it to you will be your decision but I'm confident you'll be happy with either model Tepui. Let me know if you have any questions.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Personally, I'd go for the Autana XL over the Kukenum, or whatever the equivalent is for other companies. In terms of weight and setup time of the tent itself there seems to be very little difference, probably a extra couple lbs of fabric maybe 30 seconds longer to setup. But the advantage is you have a much larger covered annex that could be used for a staging area or extra shelter. Without the canopy, if it was raining, how would you get into your tent without getting everything wet? The canopy does catch some wind, but I've had my Autana in some 40 mph gust and all I do is loop the guy ropes to the bottom of the ladder, haven't had a problem with it. I like it having the extra overhang because you can leave the tent door open while still having some protection from light wind/rain. In some cases where I don't want the canopy, the support pole is hinged at the base and you can just pull it back against the tent and it becomes just like a Kukenum.

I have the standard non ruggedized version, and for the purposes of family camping I can't imagine needing or wanting anything heavier. But I also don't use it in extreme conditions. I think the standard version is a pretty good compromise between durability and weight for the majority of the people.

tppatron

We have a family of 4 (kids 10 and 12) and I went with the Denali extended which has the covered ladder overhang. It is a bit larger than the autana and I figured that was worth it since the kids are only growing. As others have said, we went for the overhang because it makes the annex much more usable.

Materials/construction between cvt, tepui, etc are nearly identical. I visited both showrooms and couldn't see any noticeable differences. We went with the non-rugged version and it is fine for our family camping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94