Which "do everything go everywhere" tyres on a RAV 4.1?

Ravver

So, my Pirelli Scorpion STR tyres is at the end, i need to replace them. I've a light 1997 Toyota RAV4 5dr, first gen, permanent AWD with 215\70 r16 tyres. Building a rig for free travelling i need a "do everything go everywhere" tyres, the problem here is that nobody knows what's behind the corner! Here is my priorities:

• Very good on wet tarmac (safety first);
  • Low noise, low fuel (comfort on long road trips);
  • Puncture and abuse resistant;
  • light off road (gravel, dirty road, wet grass, wet field; no deep mud, no rock crawling, few or no sand, few or no snow);
  • Consumption and price not important.

It seems that the right tyres can be a 'more on road biased all-terrain' or 'more off road biased all-seasons\summer' tyres! Unfortunately many of those aren't available in my size in Europe. What do you think?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
See if hankook has their AT/M tire in that size...or something close. They are great...long wearing, lightweight and an awesome tread for an overlander 50/50 vehicle.

kojackJKU

Anything with the Nokian Brand name should be a good tire. I have only heard awesome things about them....Never tried them however.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Currently have the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 tires on our 2016 Jeep Patriot and 2005 Chev Astro, oddly the same 225/70R16 size on both vehicles. These tires have been doing quite well for us.

I see the 215/70R16 size being available too.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Sport-Utility/Discoverer-A-T3.aspx

The Coopers are the tires that won the Expedition Portal all terrain tire shootout a few years back.

https://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

Found them on Cooper's website for Italy.
http://www.coopertire.it/tyres/off-road-4x4/summer/discoverer-at3

Last edited:

Ravver

Cooper Discoverer A/T3 are high on list and cost less than Nokian. Your tyre size is similar to mine, what about road noise, fuel and comfort? I think that both are modern tyres and achieved a very good compromise between many different needs. Interested in some comparison test!

Ravver

Very similar both: E\E\71db\summer for at3, E\E\72db\summer with snowflake for rotiiva. Other can be Latitude Cross but i don'think they can be superior

ihatemybike

Explorer
Road noise is maybe just a little above standard road tires, I really don't notice it.
Gas mileage seems to have remained about the same.
Comfort is about the same despite being a sturdier tire than either vehicle came with.

Handling is better in both, less road shimmy and corners feel more stable.

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
I was previously running Michelin LTX M/S2 on my '05 Escape. This is the finest All-season tire I have ever used. It functioned fine for me during several runs out in the SoCal desert.

I am now running cooper AT3 in 235/75r16. I have been very pleased with them so far. It is not quite as civil on the highway compared to the LTX, but it has a bit of an edge off road and the sidewalls seem more robust.

Good luck

Last edited:

kojackJKU

the AT3 are a great tire. I ran them a few times. very similar to the AT-M hankooks I am getting for the patriot. I choose the hankooks because of weight and they are a little cheaper here than the coopers.

PhulesAU

Explorer
See if hankook has their AT/M tire in that size...or something close. They are great...long wearing, lightweight and an awesome tread for an overlander 50/50 vehicle.

I second this option, if available. I run these on work truck and travel Rock quarries to regular long haul highway trips 75+mph. they wear great and are pretty quiet with very good traction.

Ravver

the AT3 are a great tire. I ran them a few times. very similar to the AT-M hankooks I am getting for the patriot. I choose the hankooks because of weight and they are a little cheaper here than the coopers.

In Italy we can't change tyre size, so 215\70\16 only. At the time i think my choice will be between AT3 and Rotiiva.
Here some minimal spec difference: AT3 - 30 lbs, 27.72 diam. , 13.5\32" depth. Rotiiva: 26.4 lbs, 27.90 diam. , 13\32" depth.
Rotiiva has Snowflake and for 2017 new strong aramid sidewall with guarantee :ylsmoke: AT3 is cheaper...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier