Buy newer or stick with what I have dilema...

weezykid

Krylon/Emmettology 101
So I have owned my 96 4runner SR5 since late '08 with 89k miles and it has been a good ride. The 4runner currently has 162K on it. Did Tundra 13WL brakes in 2010 as well as new tires. Had to do the headgaskets in '14 at 135k due to the issue with the 96's and did the timing belt/waterpump/fan clutch/belts/hoses/knock sensors/external tranny cooler at the same time. Also I installed new OTRE and ITRE's then as well. Last year I put on new rear control arms, rear Moog springs and new shocks. Although I did Febest bars and shoud've gone Toyota as the bushings are starting to crack.

Over the last few months I did new pads/rotors in the front, new rear shoes and drums just a few weekends ago as well as new endlinks all around. Have been chasing a rear driveshaft issue that has been baffled and frustrated as some may have seen in my other post.

Tuesday, while on my way to work, the tranny decided it wanted some attention as well. It threw a P0753 code and it is in the shop right now as I didnt have the time to work on it. So it is getting a new #1 solenoid and new fluid by a local shop.

The truck will need new tires soon as well as rebuilding the front end. I have never touched the LBJ's, UBJ's, shocks, etc. But there is no movement in them at the moment. It will need new tires soon as well. So I still have more $$ that needs to go into the 4runner. But being a FL truck it is in great shape with no rust.

Throughout the last year I have been kicking around the idea of getting a newer car. When I bought this I wanted a Tacoma double cab, but could find a good deal. Came across this 4runner and it was a great deal and I love it. Recently I found an 08 Double cab 4x4 TRD in my price range with 91k and thinking about pulling the trigger.

I know I have put a decent amount of money in the 4runner recently and trading it in I wont get it back. The newer truck also means a car payment which I havent had in the last 3-4 years. However it would be really nice to have a newer truck with 70k less miles and a very clean, dealer maintained, CarFax. I plan on taking more trips in the future so the lower miles may be a piece of mind.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Anyone do the same and regret it?

java

Expedition Leader
Im going to drive my 4R till it falls apart around me. I love it.

Im at 230k miles, and I dont worry about taking it anywhere.

But if your worried about it and want something newer thats up to you, if your ok with payments (and really wanted a truck anyway?) maybe its time to sell it. I surely wouldn't trade it in, especially after the work you put in, with receipts its worth a lot more to someone on the market.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
From a financial standpoint, if you don't have the money to outright buy it's replacement, you probably should stick with what you have. Unless you are SOL with no ride and need transportation to make money there is hardly cause to justify going into debt for a vehicle. And I've heard all the arguments for great interest rates and good deals for trade in's. It's all BS. It costs money to spend money you don't have. It is never in your favor to owe money to anyone regardless of any mathematical magic used to make it look wise.

3rd Gen 4Runners are notorious for reliability, and at 162k is still well within the common life expectancy. (I purchased mine with 240k on it by comparison and regularly drive it to work, and yes it needs some work which I'll get to as required. I don't think any of it will exceed the purchase cost of another vehicle, even the $600 in tires I put on it or the looming $600 in steering components it will need soon.)

The shift solenoid code is likely repairable. I may be mistaken but I think I seen a how to with photos somewhere on that. Looked like more trouble to access than to complete. But really what matters is will it cost more to fix and maintain this one vs. another vehicle?

Basically it sounds like you have a need vs. want situation. There is absolutely nothing wrong with swapping vehicles just because you want to. Want something nicer, newer, or just different. But if you have to go into debt to accomplish this, that changes things.

Remember if you make wise financial decisions, down the road when you come to a decision like this and want something, the options you have to play with get a lot nicer than deciding between a 9 year old vehicle vs. a 21 year old vehicle. 4runners ain't that bad, I think mine is quite nice and comfortable for a 17 year old vehicle. Work rented me a 2017 Escape the other day which I drove all day and about 600 miles, I tell you what, I like my 4runner better.

dman93

Adventurer
I recently went from a '97 T100 with 200K to a 3rd Gen (2016) Tacoma. The new truck is nicer in every way. And I could afford it; I'm old enough that this might be my last vehicle purchase, so I decided to splurge. And, it's become our family vehicle as we sold a car and the T100 to make room for the Taco. But, your T4R is arguably the best vintage, and an '08 Taco with almost 100k miles may need work too, depending on how it was maintained and luck. In my opinion, if you have no rust and interior is good, the older vehicle is always a good value to repair. After all, a tranny solenoid or shocks in your 4Runner will last just as long as the same parts in a 12 year newer Tacoma. Now, if you need a truck with a bed, or feel the newer Taco is safer (ABS, side airbags, ??) that's different. But it won't be cheaper and may not be any more reliable. Just my $0.02.

weezykid

Krylon/Emmettology 101
Thank you all for the replies so far! I had a local shop fix the tranny a few days after since I was heading out to GA for a hike a few days after it threw the code. So the 4runner is back home and fixed.. I have never been worried by my 4runner and feel comfortable driving it anywhere. I guess through my earlier years with Chevys and such, once they start getting around 100-150k I automatically start looking. This isnt my first Toyota, but it is the one I have kept the longest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94