2012 Suburban Z71 with some small mods

SouthTXplorer

Observer
Hey everyone, just wanted to show some pics of my 2012 suburban that I have gradually added some modifications to.
Feel free to offer suggestions, criticisms, or compliments.

shooting platfomr.jpg

awning1.jpg

workin.JPG

storage1.JPG

more to come so stay tuned!

Yroundrdn

Observer
Very nice, maybe a sun shade for the shooting platform or a Ghillie suit for concealment. Definitely a nice newer platform to start with.

SouthTXplorer

Observer
Its more of a work truck, I stay on location for a few days at a time, or commute from home if its less than 3hrs away.

Inverter in the center console
inverter.JPG

Front 20" LED bar with 2 2"spots
fwd lights.jpg

Rear Floods (still need to be aimed down)
rear lights.JPG

SouthTXplorer

Observer
Went to the beach on Saturday to let the dogs run and try to wet a line, mother nature had other plans...

beach2.jpg

not stuck but definitely not a lot of room to park & still let other vehicles pass

beach1.jpg

fl0w3n

Observer
Awesome seeing Suburbans, I'm on the hunt for one right now to make into a light expedition and camping rig. For some reason I feel like that will be easier and cheaper than going a truck route.

Do you sleep on the platform you built in the back? If so, how do you like it compared to tent camping?

SouthTXplorer

Observer
Its great!, I have a tent just in case, but the platform is solid, and I have a $70 mattress that I bought from walmart and it is incredibly comfortable to sleep in, my only gripe is not having a diesel that could run all night, so I start the truck, blow the AC cold as I can stand it, then sleep for 3-4hrs, wake up a tad bit toasty, and repeat the process. Thats in South Texas though, nights are above 75deg most of the year. I will probably end up DIYing some mosquito nets so I can have a window or two cracked and add a few battery powered fans.

SouthTXplorer

Observer
just got the arb awning room, so in case I want to set up a table for work or food prep, its not bad at all, unfortunately I have been super busy, so could only set it up in the driveway

room front.jpg

room rear.jpg

jonb8

Adventurer
I have a mattress I slide in the back of my Suburban and sleep in it when traveling to go jeeping, I cut two peices of screen the size of the rear windows then used a glue gun to attach magnets around the perimeter of the screen, then stick it to the rear doors so I can keep them down alittle. I bought 2 12 volt fans with a quick clips and I hang them on the rear "Oh ****" handles above the rear doors and plug them into the 12 volt plugs on the back of the console...Works really well...
12-volt-quick-clip-multi-mount-oscillating-fan-rp-1137-3.jpg

SGNellett

Adventurer
I have a mattress I slide in the back of my Suburban and sleep in it when traveling to go jeeping, I cut two peices of screen the size of the rear windows then used a glue gun to attach magnets around the perimeter of the screen, then stick it to the rear doors so I can keep them down alittle. I bought 2 12 volt fans with a quick clips and I hang them on the rear "Oh ****" handles above the rear doors and plug them into the 12 volt plugs on the back of the console...Works really well...
12-volt-quick-clip-multi-mount-oscillating-fan-rp-1137-3.jpg

I plan to try something along these lines this summer for my rear windows as well.

ChevyPit

Observer
Excellent idea, I did the same thing, cut the screen and attached 4 magnets in the corners, for the back windows.
For sleeping comfort, bought a 2 in foam (4X8 ft) and cut it to fit behind the front seats, with the 2nd row down, and without the 3rd row. 2 kids + myself have slept in it. Then just rolled it and fits behind the 2nd row.

fs4wheeler

Hey, that looks great! I'm in S. Texas myself and just bought a 2013 z71 4wd this week. There are seemingly -very- few builds available online for this gen of suburban.

Right now ours is stock except for some LTZ (why?) rims the previous owner put on. I'm looking forward to swapping them out.

Questions:
What did you do for lift, suspension & tires?
What gearing did yours come with and how is it working?

We plan on using ours on the beach and forest/unimproved roads as well as some major freeway driving across the country.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles